Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 19

by Aravis10

XIX

The baby held onto the fleeting strings of life for four more days. The household hardly ate or slept. Joseph prayed, but Asenath kept her vigil at her son’s bed. She was weak, sick, tired, a bit delirious. Oni had tried to get her to eat, but Asenath refused. She could not see or hear, but she did a lot of thinking.

Ra-cruel, evil, selfish. Not worthy to be worshipped at all. I challenged him to prove himself. And he is. Joseph says that Elohim is love and the only true God. Then He has given me pain. But Joseph once said that blocked love brings pain. What does it all mean? You know, I never gave Elohim a chance to answer the challenge.

She whispered, “Elohim, Joseph worships you. He says that You are God alone, that You are powerful. Well, my son is dying under a curse from Ra. Prove to me that You are more powerful than Ra. Save my son. Then, I will worship You and teach my son to love You. Just listen and if You don’t answer, I know that… I have been talking to no one.”

Whether from exhaustion or a strange sense of relief, Asenath collapsed into a deep sleep.

#*#*#*#

She woke to utter silence. For the past few days, she had heard the constant wheezes of her son. Now, all was quiet.

He’s dead.

The sudden realization hit her like a ton of bricks. She wailed. It burned her lungs, but she could not stop.

Oni rushed in. “My lady! What happened?”

All she could manage to do was point at the crib. “Dead.”

Oni peaked over the edge of the crib. Then, she began to smile and laugh.

“Why do you mock my pain?” Asenath screamed.

“No, my lady. I mock nothing. It’s just that…”

“Don’t talk back to me!”

“Your son is healed!”

“Don’t toy with my emotions.”

“I swear to you! Hold him!” Oni picked up the baby and set him in his mother’s lap.

Asenath felt warmth. Wiping her tears, she looked at him.

He was alive! Alive and healthy and sleeping peacefully!

She sat still for a moment. I’m dreaming. Then, she felt the movement of his tiny lungs. A wave of pure joy swept over her. She laughed and cried and danced all at once. Still clasping her son, she ran to find Joseph.

“Joseph! Joseph!”

He was prostrated on the floor on the west portico with Amnon. “Joseph! Elohim! Elohim has healed our son!”

Joseph looked up in disbelief. “Asenath, what…what do you mean?”

“Just what I said! See your beautiful son.”

Shaking, Joseph approached. He glanced for a second at the healthy pink skin of his son, then immediately fell to his knees. “Elohim! Thank you!”

Asenath and Amnon joined him.

No greater praise could be uttered by the rejoicing hearts of the faithful and the found.

#**#*#*#*##

“When you first mentioned Elohim, I was sure that you were delusional. What happened?” Joseph asked Asenath.

The whole family, Oni, Msrah, their children (Zuberi, Asenath, and their youngest Sekani), Amnon, Joseph, Asenath, and their son, sat together in the shade garden that night. The plump yellow fruit of the persea tree hung around them and filled the area with a pleasing aroma.

This is how life is meant to be.

“I surprised myself too. But it seems like my whole life was eading up to this point.”

In tears and smiles, Asenath told how she came to believe in Elohim as the only true God.

Afterwards, Joseph kissed her softly on the mouth. “I have waited so long for this and now I don’t even know what to say.”

A craving overcame Asenath. “I just want to know more.”

#*#*#*#*#

Asenath awoke with a start. The first rays of sun were just poking into the room. “Joseph!”

“Mmm. What?”

“It’s the eighth day!”

“Of what?”

“Since our son was born! What are we going to name him?”

“Oh, yes.” Joseph yawned as he rolled closer to her. “What about something Hebrew?”

“Alright with me, but it has to have a good meaning.”

A Hebrew name is not what I always dreamed of but…

“Do you have any ideas?” Asenath asked.

“I was too busy these past days with… well, you know, to think of anything.”

“Now, now, let’s not speak of it. Let’s forget the pain so we won’t be bitter.”

“Perfect!”

“What?”

“Manasseh. It means ‘making to forget’.”

“Manasseh, I like it.”

“Elohim has made me to forget all my hardship and my father’s house.”

“He has done that for me as well.”

Manasseh. He led me to the joy in Elohim without bitterness.

Joseph jumped out of bed. “Amnon and I will circumcise him. It is business not fit for a woman to see. After we finish, I will get you, and we will dedicate him to Elohim.”

“To be a priest?” Asenath questioned, almost hopefully.

“Not necessarily. We will dedicate him to Elohim’s service however He wants to use him, whether priest, shepherd, warrior, whatever. We will be surrendered.”

Joseph came to her a couple of hours later with Manasseh in his arms. “It was painful for him, but now he is sleeping peacefully.”

Asenath fondly gathered him to her breast. “He looks like a Manasseh.”

Joseph winked. “I thought so too. Come on.”

“Where are we going?”

“To the worship room.”

The old harem.

“No, it’s your special place. I can’t intrude.”

“It is not just for me, and you won’t be intruding. I have waited for years for this day, when we can finally worship Elohim together.”

Asenath shyly glanced at her feet. “I… I’m so unworthy and… afraid.”

Joseph draped his arm around her waist. “Don’t be afraid. We are all unworthy. But Elohim welcomes us as the Perfect Father.”

“Will you go with me?”

He grabbed her hand and whispered, “I won’t leave you.”

Silently, they walked down the hall, hand in hand.

What will it be like? Is it filled with magic? Am I even allowed in?

She stopped. “Wait Joseph. You said that Elohim is the God of the Hebrews. Is it wrong for me, Amnon, and Msrah to worship Him? We are Egyptians!”

Joseph returned the comment with a blank stare. He looked like everything he had ever believed in had just run into a wall.

That room is not for me.

An idea brightened Joseph’s face. “I just remembered something! My great-grandfather Abraham met the king of Salem, a place in Canaan. He was not Hebrew or even of my bloodline. Yet, he worshipped Elohim. Actually, he was a priest of Elohim!”

“But he was a king.”

“And… Hagar!”

“Who?”

“She was my great-grandmother’s handmaiden. And she was Egyptian. Once, when my great-grandmother mistreated her, Elohim spoke to her! Actually spoke to her!” Joseph’s face was all aglow.

“He spoke to an Egyptian slave! Do you think… He might speak to me?”

“I don’t know. He has never spoken to me,” Joseph said.

“But you have your dreams and visions.”

Joseph sighed. “I guess that counts for something. But, they happen so seldom.”

“Then how can you know that Elohim is real?”

“You cannot know. You have to believe. Do you truly believe, Asenath?”

Asenath realized the enormity of this question. “Um, I think so.”

“It can’t just be ‘I think so’. You have to be all in, even when things go wrong.”

Asenath paused to ponder the statement. “Yes. I believe.”

“Then let’s go into the worship room.” Joseph pushed in the wooden door.

The room was not exactly what she was expecting, but it was still magnificent. It had high ceilings and three open windows. A long, crimson rug covered the black ebony floor. At the far end of the room was an altar of shimmering white rocks. Green candle sticks sat on ledges in the stone walls. It was cool, and Asenath could smell the sweet fragrance of cooking lamb.

It’s very different from the hot atmosphere of Ra’s temple.

“Amnon and I already offered the sacrifice. Do you want to pray together?”

“Joseph, I would love to but I don’t know how.”

“Then, I’ll teach you.” He squeezed her hand reassuringly and led her to the rug. After slowly kneeling down, Joseph clasped her other hand. “Elohim, you alone are God. You are holy, and your glory fills the earth. I am only dust and ashes. Yet, You listen to your righteousness and those that pursue you. Listen to my cry. You gave us a son and now we give him back to you. Use him. Make your face shine upon him and bless him. And, thank you. Thank you for my dearest wife and that she has believed in You.”

As Joseph prayed to Elohim, peace and gratefulness washed over Asenath. It was like nothing she had ever known. He prayed to Elohim like he would talk to the Pharaoh, with honor, but also with familiarity, like a friend. Her heart cried, Elohim! Elohim! I want to know You. I need You! Tears welled up in her eyes. The deep, earnest desire overwhelmed her. It was like her love for Joseph, but richer and sweeter.

Joseph finished. “You turn.”

“Joseph, I really don’t know what to say.”

“Just say what you are feeling.”

Asenath took a deep breath. “Elohim, I…I…” she paused. Words began to spill out like a waterfall. “You know for many years I was against You. I thought that You were like the idols of my father. But, You guided me to Joseph, Your child. Even then, I spurned You. But when I my life seemed done and I had nowhere left to go, You took me into your loving arms. Now, you are my hope and my life. I promise to raise my son to love You. In the midst of all of Egypt, I will be faithful.”

When she was done, she realized that Joseph and her were both crying. He folded her into his arms.

“Joseph, I have never felt this way before.”

“I know.”

“Teach me of Elohim. Sing me His songs. Tell me the stories of your family.” She took his muscular arm. “Please.”

He broadly smiled and said, “With all my heart.”

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy heeeeere :3

I for one, while I find the healing scene very powerful and moving, the delivery wasn't as good as I know you can do. There was none of the tension I was looking forward to (and groaning about) with the baby and the sickness. She prayed to Elohim and poof! - he's normal once again. And your description at that part could have used a bit of work. What you have is always great, but sometimes I think your pieces could become much better if they were written with more descriptions. Because at times, I don't have a very clear image. Such as when you described the child after Asenath saw him for the first time since he was healed. I know, know you could have done a beautiful description there, and made the reader melt. She just saw the baby a while before all sick and dying. And now she's seeing him fully well and strong. Give us an image we can hold on to, because I know Asenath will look at her baby for a long while, just grateful and so, so happy he is healed.

Also, the transition between her feelings being against Elohim and her feelings being for him were a bit rushed, I think. It was another poof! moment, where the reader is just drug through the streets of her thoughts - almost without a sense of direction at one point. Just boom - we're there. Asenath is praying to a God she scoffed at just hours before. Her baby is dying. Having her pray to Elohim because she hasn't given him a proper chance was good, but it would be even better if she prayed to him as a non-believer, just praying to every single god she knew of and hoping one of them would answer her prayer. Elohim is the last, because she believes in him the least - and he is the one who heals her son. Also, that one big block of thought is a bit much for me, especially because it's almost what one would write in a diary. While that's fine for a diary, it breaks the flow in the narration of the piece for me. Better if you inserted at least most of it in different ways, rather than the one block of italicized thought.

I have already spoken of this, but your dialogue scenes in here could use a bit of fleshing out. They seem like a skeleton, with strong words but no images to get a clear picture of the scene with. Just work with it as you go through your edits and see what you can do. c:

“You turn.”

technical: your turn.

Now I don't know what else to say. I've been told that when you "find" God, you do feel like Asenath did. I think you did a wonderful job showing her happiness and her acceptance of Elohim. For once, I find myself unable to properly critique your writing. >< In any other setting, I would have said that when Asenath accepted Elohim, it was overly sappy. But it wasn't. I found it wasn't at all. And I love this book even more now than I did before. Because it has something in it which most don't. I feel as though this book brings me closer to God. Thank you.
~Darth Timmyjake

Aravis10 says...

Thank you so much! You made me smile at the end. :) My hope was to bring the history of the Bible to life, to make it easier to relate to. If you want to read something else like this but WAY better, I would highly recommend AD 30 by Ted Dekker. It's a Biblical fiction set in the time of Jesus. It totally changed my perspective on faith and what Christianity is all about. That was random but I just recently finished it and I feel like I need to tell a bunch of people about it! :)

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 am
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Hmm, what to say for such an awesome chapter...

Well firstly Asenath finally converts! That's something that just cannot be ignored. As the entire book I think is mainly centered on that, this chapter needs to be exactly right. With that in mind, I'm not entirely sure if I liked how you did it. I kinda felt that the part with the baby being sick and possibly dying was way too fast. I mean, we got to see it for about two chapters? Approximately? And I'm not even sure if it's how long we see it for, but rather how it was presented. T

here weren't any graphic imagery that you gave us, nor did we really get attached to the child itself. To be honest about it, I really wasn't feeling for the baby. More like a so so, hope the kid gets better. Isn't how it should be. Maybe have Asenath and the baby together in a scene, by themselves or something like that, with her talking to him? I don't know really. I just keep getting this feeling that it isn't that emotional or full of suspense throughout the entire thing. Drag it out a bit and build up more emotion, is all I can really say.

Speaking of emotion though, I can say that the part where she is praying to God for the first time asking Him to save her son's life is extremely emotional and beautiful. Very well done. I enjoyed that paragraph immensely. It was like she was afraid that He wasn't real, but was so desperate for her son that she finally turned to Him. Is that the main reason why you had the "so called" curse laid on her son?

And umm, this may sounds strange, but why did her son get sick after her father supposedly laid a curse on him? Typically her father wouldn't be able to do that, even if he is a priest... his gods aren't even real so it can't be that I think. Sooo, what is it? Coincidence maybe? ;)

The baby held onto the fleeting strings of life for four more days.

Perhaps during one of these four days, you can have that scene that I talked about earlier. :D Build up the emotion and suspense there. You can also have a spot where the baby goes through a particularly bad phrase of the illness/or whatever it is and get some graphic description in there. Might help with getting more sympathy from the readers.

She could not see or hear

This honestly didn't make much sense to me. Is this meant metaphorically or literally? She can't hear for real, or is she just numb?

She wailed.

Hmm, there wasn't much leading up to this really. Maybe talk about it rising up in her chest and coming out, or something like that. It felt rather sudden.

Wiping her tears, she looked at him.

I have only three nitpicks for this sentence.

1. When saying that she wiped her tears, add away to that, as it wouldn't really make sense without it (or only a bit of sense, but makes a bit more sense if you add in that extra word xD).

2. I would google some synonyms for looked. I mean, how boring is that word in such a dramatic moment? ;)

3. Change him to her son. Can relate to it more, in my opinion. :D

Amnon and I will circumcise him.

Geez, I'm glad that's not the norm anymore. Sounds rather painful. :P

I have waited for years for this day

I spy a bit of redundancy! ;)

Hmm, I think that's all for nitpicks. xD

Sooooo I guess the main focus of this chapter is her son was healed and as a result of that, she converted. As I said earlier I think it did happen a little too fast, but it still was a good read. Especially since, it showed that Joseph truly did want her to take part in his religion. As he was finally able to take her to his worship room, and officially show her everything that pertained to his Faith. What I liked especially about it, is now they are really a family. My personal opinion would be that you can't really call yourself a family unless you all believe in the same thing and are aiming for the same ultimate goal. You did show that they were a bit closer now from that little blip you had in the middle, so well done. :) Although, you can draw that part out a little more, and try and describe the setting some more. Just a suggestion.

OK! I'm done now!

OK, so I will be doing that post for you, as soooooooooooonn as I'm done reviewing this, which will be about a week.

~Cricket

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Knight Wolfie has arrived for a Green Room review! (I love GR reviews... more points! ;) )

Prove to me that You are more powerful than Ra. Save my son. Then, I will worship You and teach my son to love You. Just listen and if You don’t answer, I know that… I have been talking to no one.”

This is beautiful! <3

r4p17 caught all the nitpicks, so I won't be redundant in that area.

I felt that the baby was healed all too suddenly. As readers, we didn't have the chance to truly worry that much, you know? But I guess that it was a wonderful way to show Asenath's breakthrough with God, and that He answered her prayer directly.

Okay, I said no nitpicks, but r4p didn't mention this, so:
A long, crimson rug covered the black ebony floor.

Since black and ebony are the same color, they come off as repetitive in this sentence. And since ebony is a much lovelier word, I would get rid of "black."
And this:
But when I my life seemed done and I had nowhere left to go, You took me into your loving arms.

I hate to disrupt such a beautiful paragraph, but I believe that you inserted an extra "I" here.

Wow. This was a beautiful chapter. It was absolutely stunning. Wonderful job, Aravis. I have nothing more to say.

When I don't use exclamation marks, I'm dead serious about what I'm typing about. ;)

Aravis10 says...

:) I am so happy you reviewed these so quickly! It gives me motivation to write more today! (I'm trying to finish it before school starts August 11. We'll see how that goes.)

Wolfi says...

Good luck!!!! You must be really close to finishing! :D

Aravis10 says...

Well I'm writing Ch. 30something. Once get this chapter finished and the epilogue, it will be done!

Wolfi says...

Oh my goodness.

r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review another one of your chapters, Aravis. I certainly hope this helps you!

And he is.
And he is what? You never really made it clear what you mean here. I think it should be, and he is proving himself

“Your son is healed!”
:) I knew that that would happen as so as the lack of wheezing was mentioned. Can't fool me.

She laughed and cried and danced all at once. Still clasping her son, she ran to find Joseph.
I understand that she is exited she gets an adrenaline rush, but I wouldn't run with a baby.

But it seems like my whole life was eading up to this point.”
You have a minor typo right here. That is perfectly understandable of course. :)

Asenath could smell the sweet fragrance of cooking lamb.
Who started cooking the lamb? I thought they only just found out that the baby was healed.

Before I go on to praise you for this I would just like to caution you about the good things that happened in this chapter. It is alright to have Manasseh he miraculously healed, and Aseneth converted, but some people might think that because of this that God will always answer prayer with a "yes". But that isn't always the case. I didn't take it that way but some people might. Just a word of caution.

But overall this was a good chapter. I am glad that Aseneth was finally converted! I also liked how you had them name him and what the definition of Manasseh means! You even made it more meaningful! That was probably the best part of the chapter. Great job with this chapter! I definitely look forward to reading more! Happy writing!!! :D

Aravis10 says...

I do understand that is not always the case with prayers. But I want to show that God DOES answer with "yes"! Sometimes I feel like everybody is so ready for the "no" that they don't really believe that there could be a "yes." At the part where there is cooking lamb, that is the next day. It was the sacrifice to dedicate Manasseh. Maybe I should make that more clear. Thank you for your review and the follow! :)

r4p17 says...

You are welcome. I was just saying that as a caution, though I didn't take it that way.

sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy