My Favourite Things: Fandom Style

by Dracula

Before you read this I need to say that I can't take full credit for verse one and three. They were based on a parody from *drum roll* Tumblr, but I changed the words up in them (I did try to link the original but I couldn't find it, sorry!). Oh, and hopefully you know this already, but the original song is My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music.

~

Trenchcoats on timelords and humans in jumpers.

White deadly daleks and sonic screwdrivers.

Empty blue journals all tied up with string.

These are a few of my favourite things.

.

Dollop head princes and ridd-le-ing dragons.

Dark kingdoms, brave knights and Merlin in taverns.

Sisters and druids trying to kill kings.

These are a few of my favourite things.

.

Consulting detectives beside army doctors.

Deductions, tea, phone calls, Miss Adler and bombers.

Rain drops and murders then Jimmy's phone rings.

These are a few of my favourite things.

.

When Moffat strikes,

When real life stings,

When I'm hit by feels,

I simply remember my favourite things,

And then I don't feel so bad.

.

Blacks robes on students and death eaters calling.

Using time turners to keep up with schooling.

Hogwarts and wizards and brooms tied with string.

These are a few of my favourite things.

.

Half fangs and full bloods and bad aiming slayers,.

Blood banks and sharp fangs and bats and chess players.

Strangers and siblings wishing to be king.

These are a few of my favourites things.

.

Tributes in dresses and skilled Herondales.

Dauntless cake, Fourtris and factions that failed.

Sword pens and Valdez and sirens that sing.

These are a few of my favourite things.

.

When mundanes bite,

When my ship sinks,

When I'm hit by feels,

I simply remember my favourite things,

And then I don't feel so bad.

~

The fandoms I used:

Verse 1: Doctor Who

Verse 2: Merlin

Verse 3: Sherlock (BBC)

Verse 4: Harry Potter

Verse 5: Young Dracula (CBBC)

Verse 6: Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments, Divergent and Percy Jackson.

Iamawriter says...

YES YES YES

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 am
erilea says...

I love this.
The second time I read it, since I watched the Sound of Music. I love this.

tgirly says...

The awesomeness of this ALMOST makes up for your Dramione avatar. (I can't stand Draco, and I love Hermione to death.)
Next time my ship sinks, this will be one of the favorite things I will remember, and then I won't feeeeeeel sooo baaaaaaaad. (Yeah, I sang the song while reading this...)

Dracula says...

Haha thank you!

And I forgive you for not shipping Dramione.

tgirly says...

Ha, I'm glad.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:32 pm
CuriosityCat says...

I. LOVE. THIS. SO. MUCH. *involuntarily cries a little* Don't know what Merlin, Young Dracula, or the Mortal Instruments are, but I don't care. It's-- It's just so BEAUTIFUL.
If YWS had a "LOVE" button, I would "LOVE" this song.

CuriosityCat says...

Aaand now I've watched all of Merlin and this is even more incredible.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey,

This is really cute! I really enjoy both The Sound of Music and My Favorite Things as a song, and I thought did a really good job of portraying all of the different fandoms you like while still keeping true to the spirit of the song. I understood the references to the randoms I was familiar with, and obviously I didn't understand the ones I was not familiar with. Just a note, though! I wouldn't include the explanation of the different fandoms at the end. You should let the lyrics speak for themselves, and people are either going to get the references or they won't. Just a note that I've found has improved my own writing, and I think it will for you, too.

A few specific comments:

You're a syllable over the meter of the song in this line.

Maybe try to put more of your own original spin on this line?

Anyway, this was cute, and I really enjoyed reading it! Best of luck.

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

You did a good job capturing fandoms, however some of your lines really stick out as having bad flow. One in particular was:

If you follow along the waltz-like rhythm of My Favourite Things, this line doesn't fit the "one two three" pattern you'd followed so well before. It requires the word "trying" to be read "tryING", which is slightly unnatural for me, and the alliteration of "kill kings" stops me even farther. You have to keep a certain amount of natural rhythm as you write, which is what makes lyrics so difficult. Within the same verse, "ridd-le-ing" is a manipulation that artificially breaks up the word in order for it to fit flow. If at all possible, try to find words that fit without too much, if any, manipulation.

I had to go over the song again to remember that the line "feels" corresponds to actually does not rhyme with the rest, but I think your flow issues here are because you haven't followed the same rhythm again. "When I'm feeling sad" still has the flow of the rest of the song, while "when I'm attacked by feels" is longer and therefore breaks up rhythm. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, but I'd really study that "when I'm feeling sad" line and pick out what makes it flow. I'd personally change it to "When I'm lost in feels" because "lost" has a vowel sound like "feeling", when "attacked" lacks that sing-able quality that's so important for the line.

Overall, this was pretty cute and clever! Good work.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

erilea says...

LOvE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! You love PercyJackson, right? I do too. I am fangirling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, Dracula! I'm here to review this piece, uh, obviously.

I'd like to say that I'm mildly pleased you didn't force a complete rhyme in the verses where it didn't fit, because too often do I see people who force words that don't sound right next to words that so clearly fit well in context. Also, as a blogger, I do love the references you used, and they sound like things that people in these fandoms would actually discuss should they burst into impromptu Sound-of-Music-style song.

I definitely enjoy your interpretation of this song, as a fan of the Sound of Music and a musician myself, and I found myself humming along as I read - that being said, I think this would sound better sung than it looks on paper, because some of the syllabic stresses are off with the stresses that are usually in the words you used, and I think it would make more sense if one heard it than read it. If I had to make a critique, I would say that I really do not like the line "when I'm having feels" - it sounds very forced, and very childish, and I think it could be replaced with something much better when it comes down to it. In general, most people in fandoms are not reduced to squalling children when they get emotional, and I don't think they would like the implication that they do.

In any case, though, I do think it's quite clever, and I appreciate the references you've tossed together in this melting pot of cool. Keep it up!

jazzydracula says...

Thankyou! Yes, I would sing it except my voice would crack your computer screen. :P
Do you think that 'when I'm hit by feels' sounds better??

Vervain says...

I think it might, yeah.

Demeter wrote a review...

Hey Jazzydracula! :D

This was really fun! And wow - you like a lot of things ;) Ooh, before I go on, if you remember/can find out who did the two verses (since you said you saw them on Tumblr?) it might be a good idea to link their Tumblr here or something, just to make sure that there is no trouble. :) However, taking inspiration is always allowed!

You kept the original rhythm of the song really well (yes, I sang the whole song out loud to check that), which is great! Your rhymes worked surprisingly well with all the fandoms although you used a lot of the same words (king, sing, string). Maybe one of my few criticisms would be to try to mix it up a little so you have more rhymes for "things" and you don't have to use the same ones. A good example of that are the Doctor Who and Harry Potter verses where you use "tied (up) with string", which sound a bit repetitive because of that.

I also really liked the Tumblr "references" especially in the chorus bits, like "feels" and "when my ship sinks" - hilarious! However, perhaps you can work on those verses rhyming as well so you don't have "feels" with "bad".

All in all though, this was really fun and a nice start to my morning. Hope you have a nice day!

Demeter
x

jazzydracula says...

Thankyou!

Yes I'll try to find the original, but it's been reposted so many times that I've no idea where to start!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Before I write this, I understand it's supposed to be satirical but why would a mundane bite? Surely that would be a um, I don't know, vampire? You could say, "When Camille bites" perhaps?

Anyway, hurray for fandoms! I didn't notice the Young Dracula one until you listed it as a fandom at the end. I used to LOVE that show. I liked how some of the references were sheer name drops and others were very subtle like "Sisters and Druids trying to kill Kings". For Merlinian, this easily brings to mind Morgana and Mordred (how awesome is Alex Vlahos btw) but for others it sounds like a fairly typical Celtic occurrence and kind of like you are reminiscing about the glory days.

My favourite line is easily "When Moffat strikes".

Moffat. MOFFAT.

Also, the rhythm works perfectly!

Well done :)

jazzydracula says...

Thanks! With the mundanes, I wrote it as people not in the fandom (aka mundanes) insulting and making fun of fangirls.

Ah Moffat... I wonder if he gets paid extra for killing people. XD

ExOmelas says...

Oohh I see now. I was watching a conference where someone asked a question to 'Matt, Karen and Moffat' and he shouts, "I have a first name, you know!"

Nope. He is Moffat. How could we get angry and shout 'STEVEN!'?

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore