z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The thing unseen

by lostthought


Have you ever heard about the thing unseen

Most have heard of

The thing unseen can be seen

Yet only a few have seen it and lived

The thing unseen can be seen by the unnatural

The unnatural aren't living, not breathing

But still alive in some sense

The normal

Basically the living

Live in fear of it

The thing unseen stalks us

Wearing down our souls until we turn into an unnatural

Nobody knows when the thing unseen will strike

But when it does

We pay with our lives

The few that have lived are the lucky ones

For it usually only takes one blow

Hardly anyone can take a second blow though

The thing unseen sometimes misses and we continue to live

Even though we almost paid the priceless

What is the thing unseen

Well, some call it the grim reaper

I call it death

It lurks near every day

It takes many lives every day

So the question is

Are we only born to die

Or is there a purpose to this game of life and death

Nobody knows

Still we play the game

Of life and death


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:56 am
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Lost! Casanova here to do a review for you! Anyway, I'll just do a quick overall review and then be done with it.

I find that the overall message of this poem is actually quite interesting, but the overall execution is a bit bland. Here's some things that would help it out.

Imagery.

Now, imagery is a touchy subject with me. I always believed the emotion in something was better than the imagery,. but poetry tells me otherwise. Imagery helps strengthen your poem, and helps the reader get into the poem. It allows them to put themselves into the poem and think and visualize what's going on. Here you're giving us a shopping list of things that don't bode well, as it's really taking away from the poem. Anyway, onward.

Emotion

Aah, emotion. My favourite thing. Now, it's a hard thing to execute well. You have to time it, so to speak. Now, emotion is good for getting a point across. It's good for having the reader FEEL what you're trying to get across. And it's a good thing as well. But, if overly done, it's too powerful, so I would suggest finding a medium with your imagery. I think that this could really help you out.

Overall though I would have to agree with @Kaos when I say that this poem is a bit rambly. It's like taking a list of thoughts and putting them on paper, or in this case a pad, and just posting them away without any thought of what could make it better. Like you're ranting to a friend about something, and that's not always a good thing.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this one and I hope it helped.

Keep on doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 am
Virgil wrote a review...



The poem is very rambly in what it's trying to get across in that it's wrapped up in itself. I suggest adding images to help better connect the reader to the poem. Create the atmosphere of this poem. It's topic based, and the "show don't tell" rule works for this poem, create the atmosphere and let us experience it, don't just tell us about it, show us and tell the theme through that.




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:38 am
Messenger wrote a review...



The Messenger Knight here to review for you. Last one for tonight on Review Day!!

So, big problem: Punctuation. It makes reading this hard for me and others. I don't know where to stop sentences sometimes, and it makes the poem look less professional. It shouldn't be too hard. All that is needed is couple commas here, and a period at the end of sentences. It would only probably take a few minutes.
I think that if you were planning on having all this mystery, then you should have left it a mystery. Maybe you could've given us some hints, but I think just saying it right out takes away from the poem's worth .Not that it is a bad poem, it's not.
So, take my suggestions like a grain of salt .You choose if you want to make the changes, but please don't take it to mean I am pounding your poem. It's quite well done.
Keep it up!




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:42 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Greetings and welcome to the site!

My biggest nitpick - punctuation. Now, while some poems don't need nor require punctuation, I feel that this one does. You have it structured in such a way that there should be question marks to questions

(example:)

So the question is

Are we only born to die

Or is there a purpose to this game of life and death


and commas after dependent sentences and such. This is just my opinion, for I feel that you'd have a clearer and steady flow if you considered adding in punctuation.

Besides that, overall - nice work! You did a nice job with the ending, especially. It actually wasn't quite clear to me that the thing unseen was death until I reached the end, so nice way of building suspense! It was really nice to read. :) Cheers!

~Iggy




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 788
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 am
KaspynPaxian wrote a review...



I agree with Zecru. I would have lifed it better had you left the mystery up to us to determine. Other than that, it was very suspenseful and flowed rather nice. At first I thought, "Is it slenderman? perhaps love? or God?" haha that's just the cynic in me. Overall I thought it was very nice and despite being a grim poem, the flow had almost a cheery, satrical feel to it. the imagery was very nice as well.
my favorite line was:

" The thing unseen stalks us

Wearing down our souls until we turn into an unnatural

Nobody knows when the thing unseen will strike"

all in all, a great poem, but once again, I would have rather you had left it with a slight mysterious feel. Keep up the writing!




User avatar


Points: 290
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:09 pm
Zecru says...



I liked it. Although, the sense of mystery you gave me about the thing unseen was kind of removed when you straight-up said it was the grim reaper/death. Still good.




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 pm
BryonyPenn says...



I love you poem! It almost gave me the chills reading it.
I liked how you continued to use ....the thing unseen.
Your poem flowed a few flaws not perfect.
Other than that great poem!





I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues