12+ Language Mature Content

Endless: VII

by HaleyPenguin

Why does this always seem to happen? I tried to look at the shooter, but I was too afraid to move even an inch. The person walked closer, pushing the gun against my forehead. “What are you doing out here by yourself, sweetheart?” said the wielder. A man… The way he talked sent chills down my spine. He moved the gun to the side of my head so I could see his face.

He was much older than I was, at least in his fifties. He had gray hair, brown eyes, stubble on his chin, and sweat dripping down his forehead. The sight of him made my heart sink. He caressed my face with the gun, then leaned in close to my ear and said, “You’re coming with me. I don’t want to hear a sound out of you. We’re going to have some fun…” My heartbeat was speeding up, and my steady breathing turned into gasps for air. He grabbed my wrist and started dragging me down the hall. That’s when I saw the loose Fire Extinguisher. That was my chance. His sweaty palms gripped tighter and tighter around my wrist, and he kept looking up and down my body. Tears swelled up in my eyes as I realized that if I missed this chance, this pervert will get exactly what he wants.

“Don’t worry, honey. It won’t hurt much.” Don’t get distracted, Ren. “I bet you’re not a virgin. Someone as pretty as you are, there’s no way.” I looked up at him. It’s none of his business whether or not I am. Focus Ren. “It’ll all be over before you know it…” Yeah, and it’ll sick with me for the rest of my life! REN!

I looked over to the fire extinguisher as we passed it by. Ren, do something! Without thinking, I tripped the man. On his way down, he dropped the gun, and it fell down a flight of stairs. I turned to go back and get the extinguisher, but the man grabbed my leg, and I fell hard on my stomach, knocking the wind out of my lungs. He dragged his body up on top of mine. “What are you doing? You STUPID girl!” he yelled. I squirmed to try and get out from under him, but he weighed too much.

“Ren?” I heard a voice in the distance call. Aiden.

“AIDEN!” I screamed.

The man put his hand over my mouth. “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” He said in a harsh whisper. He reached up my shirt and grabbed my breasts. I screamed, but it was so muffled no one could hear it. He started to pull down my pants, and tears streamed down my face. I can’t do anything to help myself… He’s going to do this to me, and get away with-

“REN!” A voice yelled. The man let go of my mouth, and Aiden and Kellin came running towards me. The man got off of me and ran down the stairs. Kellin chased him, and they both disappeared. Aiden sat me up, and I clung to him like a child would do to his mother. He reassuringly wrapped his arms around me and rocked back and forth. “Everything’s okay now Ren… you’ll be okay… I’m here… you’re safe…” But no matter what he said, all I could do was bawl. I don’t know why, but I felt such comfort in his arms… I soon stopped crying, but I didn’t let go of him, and he didn’t let go of me. We sat there in the quiet… and all I felt was simplicity…

I could hear footsteps coming up the stairs, and Aiden tightened his grip on me a little more, as if he was ready to defend me the second there was trouble. Kellin appeared at the top of the stairs and said, “That bastard got away…” He kneeled down by me. “Are you okay?” I didn’t answer. I knew I wasn’t but if I said so, the two of them would worry. If I said I wasn’t, they’d know I was lying. So saying nothing seemed like the best bet. But Kellin kept staring at me, so I turned and buried my face in Aiden’s shirt. Even though we don’t know each other, Aiden acted like it was a normal thing I did to him. “Come on you two. Marcy’s waiting for us.” Kellin said quietly, and walked back to the apartment.

I let go of Aiden, and stood up. He did the same, and then asked, “Are you alright?” I was about to open my mouth, but then he said, “Don’t lie to me.” I looked in his eyes, and something told me that I could trust him… So I told him everything I felt. How afraid, angry, confused, upset, and frustrated I was. I even somehow got off the topic of almost being raped, and told him everything else that happened to me. And… he listened. “Wow…” he replied.

“…I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have ranted.” I replied.

“No, no. It’s alright. I mean, after being through all that, I’m surprised you could keep it all inside.” He put an arm over my shoulder and we started walking back to the apartment. “It’s better to let that stuff out. You won’t feel so stressed all the time… And it’s okay to cry sometimes. You can’t be strong forever. Like now, you don’t need to be strong. We won’t judge you. Being scared doesn’t make you weak.” His arm fell back to his side, and for a moment, I wished he’d put it back… We got to the apartment, and I was tackled to the ground by Marcy.

“Are you okay, Ren?” she said with a red face. “I was so worried! I thought you were hurt!”

“N-No, Marcy. I’ll be fine, I promise…” I looked up at Aiden, who gave me a sympathetic look. I felt guilty for staying strong, even though he told me not to… It’s okay, Ren. You did it for Marcy. He’ll understand. Will he…?

Wait… Why do I care about his opinion? What’s so special about that? I don’t care. Stop lying to yourself, Ren. Then why do I care? It doesn’t make any sense. I just met the guy! He means nothing to me… well he means little to me… Maybe you’re in lo- No. Don’t even say it. I stood up, and walked in the hallway that leads to my room.

“Ren?” I looked behind me to see Aiden. “Can we talk for a second?” I nodded, and motioned for him to follow me. In the extra bedroom where Kellin and Aiden are staying, there’s a balcony that is still attached to the building. We walked outside, and I shut the door. You could get a great view of the decaying city from here. Almost every building is in ruin, and vegetation is overgrown. But in a way, it all looked so beautiful in the sunset. The orange-pink glow from the sky shining through the leaves in the trees created beautiful silhouettes on the ground below, animals ran around on the distant plains, and the flowers were all in bloom. It looked like something a painter would make…

“I kind of feel like I should tell you my backstory…” Aiden said.

“Aiden, you don’t have to.” I replied.

“I want to.” He answered in an assured voice. “Back home, I was thought of as a “low class citizen” because I didn’t have as much money as the other kids in my neighborhood. I was one of those kids that stayed after school in the library. Not to read or anything. Just so I didn’t have to go home. My parents fought all the time and it would get really violent… Sometimes my Mom would have bruises all over her face and arms, and when I’d try to help her, she’d hit me… and when my Dad would drink a lot, he’d hit me too.” I couldn’t even begin to imagine what that was like for him. Compared to him, my parents were saints. They never fought in front of us, and they would’ve never dreamed of laying a hand on each other, let alone, one of us. “When the first earthquake hit, I ran home from soccer practice to see my house had collapsed, and a neighbor told me my parents were inside…” he lowered his head. “Would you think I was crazy if I told you I was happy to know they were gone…?” his voice was quivering, and I saw a tear fall from his chin and onto the balcony rail.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, and he looked at me. “…Not at all.” I whispered. His eyes got wide, and he stared at me like I was an alien or something. He turned his head back down.

“You know, you’re the first one to say that… Kellin thought I was insane… But you… you’re different.” He stood up, put a hand on the back of my head, an arm around my waist, and pulled me into a hug. He held me tight, but also in a delicate way as if he was afraid he’d break me. I could feel my cheeks burning up as I stood there in shock from the hug. Why am I blushing? It doesn’t make any sense… Why do I feel this fluttering in my stomach, and this skipping heartbeat? This couldn’t be… but, maybe it is… I’ve never felt it before… If this is what I’m feeling, I never want it to end… All I have to do now is admit it…

You’re in Love…

Saichi wrote a review...

To be honest, I really enjoyed this. I actually got involved with the story and I made it to the end of the story with ease. There was nothing that was just downright grammatically incorrect that made me want to squeal, and I liked what you did with the story. Now, that aside, of course there are always things that everyone can improve on! And I am an absolute stickler for detail, I can never get enough detail and I'd like to see a tad bit more if possible.

(“REN!” A voice yelled. The man let go of my mouth, and Aiden and Kellin came running towards me. The man got off of me and ran down the stairs. Kellin chased him, and they both disappeared. Aiden sat me up, and I clung to him like a child would do to his mother. He reassuringly wrapped his arms around me and rocked back and forth. “Everything’s okay now Ren… you’ll be okay… I’m here… you’re safe…” But no matter what he said, all I could do was bawl. )

For example, I found this part to be a bit off.. In my personal opinion, I find it very unlikely that a person who is trying to take advantage of another would just suddenly get off of the victim and run away. I would add something to this in order to make it more interesting. Maybe add more feeling or reaction between Aiden and Kellin to the realization of what is going on? It would make things more entertaining to read.

But, overall, it was a great story and I enjoyed reading it! Make sure you keep on working and writing! Because I'd love to read more of your works! c8

HaleyPenguin says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:25 am
Messenger wrote a review...

Knight Malachi here to review for the Knight of the Green Room.
So this chapter wasn't at all what I was expecting . . . let's just skip to the good part of the story. The detail I was good, but not something I was really happy to read. And I thought it kind of random. Your description is good as usual, and the story gets better and better. I wasn't rally even thinking of Ren falling in love with Aiden. Oh well.
Keep it up!

HaleyPenguin says...

Thanks :)

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster