z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Memories

by Gcracker051595


A breezy touch sweet with memory

Awakens endless whispers...

Lovesick in his sleep

He surrenders to a restless mind--

Thoughts blazing with existence

Hidden beyond reach, gaining strength.

Royal members of this court

Dance around in jest yet bring him no joy.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 727
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am
krissigalea wrote a review...



Hello there :)

Such a nice poem, even if it's short.

At first when I started reading, I thought that there are no rhyming verses/words, but when I continued, I found the rhymes, which in my opinion, a rhyming poem makes it look more enjoyable to read.

Your poem looks like a "whole stanza" (paragraph). I would suggest that when you write another poem, keep in mind to divide it into stanzas. That way, the readers won't feel like they have to read it fast, but it will help them reflect more between stanzas. :)

On the whole, keep on writing! :)






Thank you very much for reading! Usually I would agree with you about the stanzas but with such a short poem I didn't think it was necessary, but as always i shall keep it in mind when writing in the future! Once again thank you for reading and for the review!

Cheers!
Graham



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 419
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:21 am
lyricalrebel wrote a review...



Hi, LyricalRebel here to make a review of your poem entitled "Memory"
Though short, it is quite mesmerizing. It catches the real feeling when you are just sitting alone and reminiscing all the sweet memories you've experienced. Memories which haunt us and try to forget were depicted solemnly.
It contains metaphor which I really admire. I like it. Keep up the good work and I hope to read more of your work! :)






Lyricalrebel,

Thank you very much for reading!From your response it really seems as though you got the whole picture from the poem, I'm glad you enjoyed it. As to more work I am uploading another in a few minuets that I wrote as a toast for my Fathers wedding which was last month, I would love for you to check it out!



User avatar
124 Reviews


Points: 495
Reviews: 124

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 am
Liaya wrote a review...



This is a wonderful little poem, full of imagery and wonderful flow. It does an excellent job of showing how lonely he is, even when in sleep, which should be an escape and not a continuance of our daily lives. Like most poems, it leaves me wishing there was a whole story laid out to go with it so I could understand every shadowy detail to perfection and know the character spoken of. For a poem, though, I think the amount of revealing done is very telling and picturesque. Well done!






Thank you very much Liaya, I'm glad you enjoyed it!



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:17 am
KnightTeen wrote a review...



Hey, HT here to review.

It's so hard to review short pieces, mostly because they're so good. That is the case here.
But it's also easy in the sense that this will be a short review.

First of, there is nothing at all technically wrong with this poem. The flow/rhythm is excellent, the wording is wonderful, the imagery amazing, and the technicality (grammar, punctuation, and spelling) is absolutely perfect.

There is one thing that I would like to mention, and perhaps this is just me, but:

Royal members of this court,

Dance around in jest, yet bring him no joy.


I really don't see how these lines relate to the rest of the poem. I mean, I can sort of see where they tie in, but it's very difficult. One line you are discussing strength and then suddenly the reader is taken to a court that has jestfulness and lacks joy.

That's the problem with short poems. Sometimes the authors have a hard time wording the poem well enough so that the reader can fully comprehend what's going on.

Other times, this is intentional. If this was intentional for you, then I apologize for mentioning it.

But the way that I imagine it in the beginning is a man sleeping, and then suddenly we seem to be in a royal court with no explanation as to how we got there.

That's the only thing that really bothered me though, and I think that you did an amazing job!






the Royal court is symbolic of what is going on in the man's dream. I used a royal court as the symbol since normally one would be full of jest and fun, similarly to how one would normally enjoy their dreams and memories, i thought it would help express the discomfort the man is feeling. I hope that helps clear it up a bit, but thank you for reading and for your commentary I love having people review my work its always helpful!





Yeah that does clear it up, thanks! I thought that was what you were going for, but I wasn't entirely sure.



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 4731
Reviews: 70

Donate
Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:28 am
AfterTheStorm wrote a review...



Hiya, Gracker! :D The name's Storm and I'll be doing a quick review for ya tonight!

First off, I really like the wording you used in this short poem. It sets me in a dark, lamenting mood that I believe fits perfectly for your work here. I think I'm especially in love with the line, "Royal members of this court, Dance around in jest..."

Now, here's the part where the writer starts to hate the reviewer: when the reviewer points out all the nitpicks. Sorry, but it must be done. There are quite a few errors in "Memories", starting off with the opening line.

A breezy touch sweet with memory, Awakens endless whispers...

The comma after "memory" isn't necessary, and it therefore abruptly pauses the thought.

He surrenders to a restless mind-- Thoughts blazing with existence Hidden beyond reach, gaining stregnth.

After "restless mind", the two dashes should not be written there. Instead swap those out with the handy ol' comma. Then, the word "strength is misspelled! Double check that spelling, please! :)

Royal members of this court, Dance around in jest...

As much as I love these lines, I cannot look past the punctual mistake here. Once again, unnecessary comma usage stops up your poem. Dispose of the comma before "dance", then you're all patched up! :D

That's all for this quickie, so as always: Write on!

---Storm






Thank you very much Storm! The punctuation inputs were very helpful since I honestly never really know what exactly to do with it, but your commentary is very helpful not only for this piece but definitely for the future as well. Also I apologize for the spelling error, I should have seen that one!




The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous