To Sing, or Not to Sing

by Jadefox

(Note: A Shakespearean parody. When I say "parody," I mean inspired by Hamlet's soliloquy in Shakespeare's Hamlet. I was required to write this in English class last year and realized this was in need of some explanation.)

To sing, or not to sing; that is the question:

Whether ‘tis socially adequate to remain silent

And stand the uneasy sulk of society,

Or to burst into song and fill the air,

And by erupting suddenly, and break the silence.

To vocalize; to bombard the atmosphere;

No more; and warbling to say I corrupted

The awkward semblance of society

That fills the order of the world

is easily corrupted by song.

To sing, to serenade,

To sing, perhaps too loud. Ay, there’s dilemma.

For in singing loudly aristocrats turn their attention towards you,

When we have shattered the calm,

We must catch our breath before the next note:

There’s the melody

That’s what makes the theory tiresome.

For who would confront the audience,

The fright of performance,

The suspense of perfection,

The musician’s accidental foul keys and chords,

The pointed stares of onlookers,

The spectating critics, waiting for errors,

When they themselves were once in the limelight

awaiting the verdict of expectant admirers.

Who would toil away at theory,

To exercise vocal chords hours a day,

But the dread of imperfection and failure in public,

The forgotten scales and cadenzas which are

Scoffed upon by masters

While we listen without a second thought,

Wondering what astonishment will follow

In place of hearkening for blunders?

Thus the beauty of song does make enthusiasts of us all;

And thus the glamour of music

Is spoiled by the unneeded nitpicks,

And gentle cadences of emotion and fervor

With this regard are ended abruptly,

And lose the swelling harmony.

Omni wrote a review...

Here to review!

My name is Quest and I will be reviewing this poem for you today! So without further ado, let's begin this, shall I?

First off, I want to say that I vaguely remember the song your poem is based off of, but not all that much, so if my review conflicts with what you wanted as a result of the basis, then I apologize. However, I will review it anyway, so bear with me.

You don't really need the 'and' between 'suddenly' and 'break', it makes the first sentence a fragment, and it doesn't go together.

That’s what makes the theory tiresome.

Hmm, what theory? I know that you might be putting in words just to match the first song, but if it doesn't make sense, then don't do it. Many a poet has made this mistake.

Well, I quite like this poem, although I do have a nitpick, which isn't a bad thing, really, I have done it before myself, but still I will say it.

This poem, although having a small theme to it, doesn't stay by it. There are a lot of weird adverb usage in this poem that just makes it hard to read and hard to understand. This isn't bad, not at all, but you should stay weary of that when you make another poem.

And I do encourage you to make another poem. This one is quite good! Keep on writing!

Hope this helped,
Quest

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am
umaima wrote a review...

Well I like reading poems and reviewing them so here I am reviewing your poem

The poem actually was good but it had its drawbacks which I have stated below

Okh the problem with this was that it doesn't look like a parody and the rhythm is well, not that good. When you make a parody it should be a funny version not spoiled version and this looks more like a anti-fan spoiled version. While writing a parody or any other type of poem think what you would have liked if you were the person to whom it was to be conveyed, that really helps (at least with me it does) read others poems (famous poets please) and take an idea from them as in their way of writing and their way of representing things etc or you could just read for inspiration but believe me reading other poems of great poets really helps. you get an idea of how to write your own. Search tips on net for it, there are really some useful tips that they give.
coming back to your poem it is more serious at times then it should be and yeah one more advise, read the poem once and see whether you feel it funny or not because if you don't then nobody else will...
Inspite these things I want to say that your poem as a whole was really good but it wasn't a parody. You have the talent but you need to improve it and know how to use it.

hope this helped, you can message me if you need my help anytime I would love to help.

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper