z

Young Writers Society

Squills 05/17/2015 - 05/23/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon May 18, 2015 2:52 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Available – PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master

General Reporters
AstralHunter
Omni
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

APRIL POEMS BRING MAY WINNERS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

As you are probably aware (because you’re so awesome), last month was National Poetry Writing Month, or NaPoWriMo: NaNoWriMo’s poetry-based sister! Throughout April, poets on YWS scrambled to pound out thirty halfway decent poems in just thirty days. This week, I asked a few of them about their experiences participating in NaPoWriMo 2015. Here’s what they had to say about it.

@Pretzelsing competed with @Meandbooks to see who could write 30 poems straight (one a day, in other words) and lost, writing 11 to Meandbooks’ 30. However, she doesn’t let that get her down! Instead, she prefers to look at the good that NaPo did her.

I got motivation to just sit down and write poems. (This was my first NaPo ever.) I felt like I needed to grow as a poet, and this was the April season to do it, along with everyone else participating in NaPo on YWS. We were all in this together.

However, she was not a fan of typing up her poems!

I actually really liked the look of my poems on paper. They looked better handwritten (I have beautiful handwriting) and more personal and mine. So typing them up felt like making them computer-like fake, but I had to do it to post them on my NaPo thread.

Pretzelsing’s thread is called My heart is poured out . Be sure to check out her two favorite poems: the only one, all alone and Ink to Paper , which was written in response to a no-adjectives/no-adverbs prompt for #NaPoVerse.

(Meandbooks’ thread, snapshots of the life i leave behind, can be found here .)

@LadySpark didn’t win, either, but she completed 26 poems. They can be viewed in her thread, ~my tornadoes~ . Her favorite part of this year’s NaPoWriMo experience was

having so much creative juice flowing from writing every day.

But she was bummed out about not having time to finish the challenge. I know those feels, my friend!

@niteowl also came close to winning, with 25 poems. Her favorite part of this year’s challenge was #NaPoVerse, the Poet’s Universe of daily prompts and inspiration for NaPoWriMo participants. She says,

I didn't try all the #NaPoVerse prompts, but I really enjoyed the ones I did try. They were challenging but fun as well! I wish more could have been posted.

nite’s thread is called often wandering, still quite lost .

@Wolfare1 succeeded in completing all thirty poems this April! Her two favorites were The Glass Floor and heartbreaks don’t break hearts .

I liked the Glass Floor, because I feel like it showed my growth the most over the course of the month in conveying certain feelings as ingrained parts of the poem rather than being directly stated, but the other one has a really nice beat and flow to it, which I really enjoyed writing.

Wolf more than rose to this year’s event. In fact, trying not to fall behind was her favorite part of NaPoWriMo 2015, which, she says,

sometimes consisted of staying up until midnight writing out a poem. (I never actually did miss a day!)

Way to go, Wolf! Be sure to take a look at her thread, Just another day, poeting with Wolf .

Congratulations to all 2015 NaPoWriMo participants! A complete list of participants who posted poetry threads can be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler! :
@AdrianMoon - little caves of stories
@Aley - out walking on a raining, sunny day, I came across snow
@Arkhaion - Where Sunbeams Come to Rest
@Audy - tout terriblement
@Autumns - poetry, and other painkillers
@Auxiira - coffeebeans and lemongrass
@beckiw - Leave All Seriousness at the Door
@BlueAfrica - A Teacher Lives in There
@Blues - word spill
@Chanta1234 - My Poem
@Demeter - hark, the zircon train approaches
@ERZA - Spider on the run
@Firestarter - his bones began to fill with words
@Flite - these memoirs aren’t for you
@Hannah - Didn't mean it
@HighTop - returning alive
@Iggy - find yourself
@jayflames1 - Poems
@Kanome - Kanome’s Way of Writingness
@Karzkin - K's Kyrielle
@LadySpark - ~my tornadoes~
@Lauren2010 - to the sticking place
@Lava - Pizza
@Lumi - You Are Alive
@Meandbooks - snapshots of the life i leave behind
@megsug - Running Adventures
@Meshugenah - once more unto the breach
@Morrigan - Juxtaposition of ceilings and skies
@Nargles - Unidentifiable Flying Obscenities
@Nightcrawler - stumbling on stepping stones
@niteowl - often wandering, still quite lost
@noninjaes - In Amore Et Bellum (0/30)
@PenguinAttack - Guilt
@Pocket - aching something out
@Pompadour - Dustmites in haphazard heaps*-
@pretzelsing - My heart is poured out
@rhiasofia - I Grind These Words into Hot Pavement with my Heel
@Rosendorn - they’ll have to find another heart to break
@Rydia - Rydia’s Reservoir (has run dry)
@Sachiko - boxes best left close
@ScarlettFire - a forest of teeth and claws
@SecreteJournalist - "And each written word was her prophet."
@Skydreamer - a bohemian’s guide to solivagant travels
@StellaThomas - We are still afraid of the dark.
@Theodorable - Have you met Ted?
@Tenyo - In which Ten tries to poet
@Tortwag - Fantasy Roys
@Twit - wrinkles and winkles
@Via - didn't have a camera this time
@Widdershins - Cantos from K___
@Wolfare1 - Just another day, poeting with Wolf
@yubbies21 - precious prescriptions and smashed mirrors

Mon May 18, 2015 2:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FM INTERVIEW WITH NIGHTCRAWLER

Written by Kanome < PM: >

Hello, Kanome here. Today, I interviewed someone who is active all the time on YWS. She is known for her wonderful poems and short stories in challenges made by the mods of YWS. I am talking about, of course, @Nightcrawler.

Squills: What was your first reaction when you found out you were a featured member?

Nightcrawler: My first reaction was disbelief, because I was caught totally off guard. I hadn't been expected anything and I hadn't really thought I'd ever get featured until I was an older member. And then I was very happy, and it made my day to know that people appreciate my presence on here.

S: What is your favorite thing to do on YWS?

N: On YWS I love interacting with people and posting fun comments on my wall. Recently I've also really enjoyed participating in short story tournaments (at this club: clubs/2134 ), and review days are always fun when I have the time.

S: How long have you been a member?

N: I am almost three years old.

S: What advice you would like to give other members that want to be a featured member?

N: Continue to do what you love, be it reviewing, writing, or being a loyal follower of others' works or walls. If you are encouraging and friendly, you can make this community a better place for aspiring writers and artists. Don't contribute in hopes of being noticed, but because you genuinely like doing it. People notice someone who is passionate and helpful, and hopefully you will be celebrated for it one day. Keep writing!

S: Thank you very much!

N: No problem!

Until next time, Squillians!

Kanome

Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW

written by Skydreamer < PM: >

Most of the time the spotlight has different poems based on different topics, but occasionally, there are poems or stories that are connected or that mirror each other.
This past week the spotlight was filled with poem reply's to @WaltzingDreams' I Envy Poets . The first reply to the poem on envying poets was a poem, beautifully emphasizing why poets are envied (based on tone and style), and yet trying to convince us that poets should not be envied.

This week's Spotlight Interview is about @Morrigan's Do Not Envy Poets

Squills: What inspired you to write/post this?

Morrigan: I read WaltzingDreams' poem "I Envy Poets." I liked it, but it also made me sad because sometimes things in poetry that people think are beautiful are really born from ugly things. So I decided to write a poem in which the narrator rips themselves open over and over to try to produce beautiful things while telling people not to envy them.

S: It's interesting that After that first great poem by @WaltzingDreams so many Envy poems came up. Were you surprised to see your work in the Spotlight?

M: Whenever I see anything of mine in the spotlight, I'm mildly surprised, and pleasantly so.

S: What would you change (if anything) about it?

M: Well, it is a first draft, so I'm sure there are a lot of changes I could make, but to be honest, I have to put it away for a while before I can look at it without having an opinion.

S: What was the reaction you were hoping for? Did you get it?

M: I don't know if I was looking for any reaction. When I write, it's not usually to a specific audience. It just is what it is. If people like it, it's cool, and if people don't like it, it's cool, too.

S: What writing advice can you give someone, based on your poem?

M: Well, I think the point of my poem is to think on a deeper level about the subject you're writing about. In this case, why should one envy a poet? Here are some reasons not to. If you were writing a poem about a tomato, I wouldn't write it just about a tomato, but maybe a memory or story associated with a tomato. It's all about connections in poetry, and thinking deeply about a subject is the first step.

Thanks to Morrigan for her input!

Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME’S RANT OF MEDIA

Written by Kanome < PM: >

Hello, Kanome here with a new media review for you. Today, I am going to talk about a show that I have seen a long time ago, and now I will like to share it to you, members of YWS. It is about a girl who learns about her classmate being part of the Chinese Zodiacs. Of course, I am talking about Fruits Basket.

Fruits Basket is a romantic comedy anime that caught my interest years ago, and I still love it to this day. The show revolves around Tohru, who discovers her classmate, Yuki, and his family transform into the Chinese Zodiac animals when hugged by the opposite sex.

This show made me laugh no matter how much I watched it. The ending made me a little sad because it got serious. Then, I read all the manga, and the ending of the whole series was great! I wish there could be a sequel to Fruits Basket, maybe one day.

I recommend this show to all anime fans out there or people who need a good laugh.

If you have anything you want me to review, just PM me.

Until next time, Squillians!

Kanome

Mon May 18, 2015 2:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Nayuna is “new and a little awkward.” Visit her thread in the Welcome Mat to say hi .

@Despondence has earned their first review star! Pop by their wall to congratulate them .

@Eros has written a poem called “Physics and My Love.” Click here to read it and leave a review .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@ScreaminUgmoe • @Lau2001 • @thetalentedsloth@Chaos77@Piya2Shweta2Hari@angietang18@trinityinfinity@Hereitstarts@Sapel777@TheSliv16@mksmks2@isaferanco@Astha12@vespertinevagabond@satwikaman@Tushar@funnycannibal@ashleymreid@DiyaRenae@Natasha@BritishWriter@words2life@Pernicus@EnderFlash@Quicksilver@Raincoat086@DevilMockery@tondzo666@surbhi@Hunterboo14@LordAdoven@Eros@WanderingArtisan@isham101@AdorableAngel@Mimus@Futuredaze@gwen@emma27@MJCherylyn@Inkgirl17@Outcast17@soothsayer@aprajitakarki@KyleRumbold@abigailcadoiaceo@abubakar@Tolkien@Gandalf@fallenbird@JaredGines@lolasalaverri@wings2four@mildred@NatashaPoidevin04 • @IG0911@TinuJos@willachilles@Edwinswoard2@Despondence@Nithya88@akshay2312@Mysterium@hridi@Aslan@AlbusDumbledore@Sauron@murderer@kenzie71797@mjr1107@littleladyspeedlimit@camjere24@4everyoung@CrystalGem@SmallStoryLove@Fluffy@surabhirao@AedanStorm99@MicheleFralick@LeeGyria@KingRoyal@IsyOfficial@WMGoulde@infinity755@catssumo@Jay9@Ultimatemaggot89@inkyfool@AlexanderFaber@CamrynTheWriter@SupernaturalFeels@Legolas13@waywardwolf@thegoldentrickster@Yellowsunwave@ishitadutt@Cjw2803@nobodyimportant@muskiiiiii@Arashmaleki@BrittanyDee08@Handinredink@TheMightyWolverine@Divya@tanvi@shruti20@Nayuna@TheStormAroundMe@AnneFrank@CannibalisticMan@Luke72@thnksfrthmmrs@carlosrivera185@shymaa@amody18@madstamoo@ankush28@SilenceofTheBees@chaikybackman@LLANE@Shaffimaha@MariahJ • @zep909 • @hanntayl@Giuliano@Hitchhiker@Latifa@Tobiah@DannyEve

Mon May 18, 2015 2:59 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Squills: Now Hiring

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon May 18, 2015 3:00 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Draknghar • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @Widdershins • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Zhia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli • @Wolfare1 • @malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @CaptainSaltWater • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor