z

Young Writers Society



The Mountain (6)

by IMK


prompt:

THE MOUNTAIN

At evening, something behind me.

I start for a second, I blench,

or staggeringly halt and burn.

I do not know my own age.

In the morning it is different.

--

please read at least part zero to understand the context of this poem at least somewhat. Otherwise, nothing will make sense so I advise you to actually go read it.

--

THE MOUNTAIN

At evening, something behind me.

I start for a second, I blench,

or staggeringly halt and burn.

I do not know my own age.

In the morning it is different.

In the morning, it is in front,

And is expected.

Expected, recognized, acknowledged,

Whatever you want to call it, it is seen, it is remembered.

I have never met you, boy.

Thomas, you say?

I shall remember.

Perhaps, for once someone will tell me what I am supposed to do,

What I’m supposed to be.

Tell me, boy, how old am I?

What is your name, I wish not to call you boy forever.

You say that you told me,

but I do not know who you are.

The morning, a time where I am shown and told faces, and names, and people.

The evening when all is forgotten.

Forgotten and reminded in the morning.

Tell me, who are you, Boy?

I wish not to call you boy forever.

“I am Thomas, Grandma,” you told me.

I shall remember.

The day passes, the child is gone.

He came with a woman.

She called me mother,

But we have never met.

I see a face, and with it comes a flicker of memory.

Memory, ahh, something I do not know much of.

I remember very few things.

Climbing, and climbing, and climbing.

That is all.

All else I do not recall.

Tell me, boy, what is your name?

“I am Thomas, Nana,” you say.

I shall never forget.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 3026
Reviews: 41

Donate
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:47 am
MayCupcake wrote a review...



Hi zekcede!
Here's a review for you! I think this project is actually pretty interesting. I've never thought of taking a poem line by line and then writing the end with more information each time. I have to say though that I don't really like the beginning of the prompt for the Mountain poem so far lol. I don't really know what it is about it.

I start for a second, I blench,

or staggeringly halt and burn.

I do not know my own age.

In the morning it is different.


Maybe, it's because it sort of jarringly switches between subjects so quickly? I like the first two lines, but then the flow and feel changes so abruptly to the speakers age and mornings being different? lol. Alright well, I need to stop critiquing the poem you were given and get into the review XD.

I have never met you, boy.

Thomas, you say?

I shall remember.


I really like these lines that are similarly repeated throughout the poem. They give off a sadness to the reader because the grandmother can't seem to keep the memory of her grandson and his name. She says that she'll never forget, but even she can't remember that. I was kind of shook when Thomas called her Grandma about half way through.

I see a face, and with it comes a flicker of memory.

Memory, ahh, something I do not know much of.

I remember very few things.


I love the imagery in this first line. I think it's interesting how this poem shows someone who's mind is deteriorating. She seems to be at the point where she doesn't remember who she is or other people, but is still able to function and think.

Out of your poems so far, I think my favorites are numbers 2 and 5. I think that those flow really nicely and I like the imagery they use. I think my least favorite is number 4 because, even though I like the imagery of the cave, it doesn't really flow well to me and the lines feel a tad bit long.

Anyways! Cool project! I'll have to read numbers 7 and 8 after this. Take what you will from this and keep on writing!




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sun May 02, 2021 7:41 pm
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I really enjoyed this poem! It's been a while since I reviewed poetry, so my skills are a little rusty, but hopefully something in here will be helpful to you.

I liked the storyline of this poem! I feel like in the beginning, it seemed more abstract, but the way you tied it down at the end worked really well, I think. I especially liked the way you conveyed the poem from the grandma's point of view. I'm guessing she has some form of dementia/Alzheimer's and keeps forgetting her family members. It's painful, in a way: the reader realizes she's doing it, but she doesn't, and that knowledge hits pretty hard. Nice work conveying that aspect of the poem quite well!

One thing I wondered about was if perhaps it would benefit from some stanzas. I feel like there are some places where there could be a sort of "scene change" that would be better interpreted if the reader was given some white space on the page. The parts I'm thinking of would be after "I do not know my own age," "I shall remember," "but I do not know who you are," the second "I shall remember," and "all else I do not recall." I feel like that breaks it up nicely, at least in my mind. This is a stylistic suggestion, though, so you don't have to take it.

I also wondered about the differences in the way you format your "dialogue" in the poem. I put dialogue, because it's a little ambiguous. There are some lines where it seems like Nana is talking to Thomas, like when she asks him for his name, or how old she is. However, you don't put them in quotation marks like you do for Thomas's dialogue. I wondered if there was a reason for this, or no. If there isn't, I think that maybe putting them in italics could help sort of... differentiate them from the rest of the poem. Play around with how you format them, and see what you like best. Again: stylistic choice. You can ignore if you wish.

Overall: nice work! I think you're a very talented poet, and this exercise is super cool! I hope to read more of your writing in the future, as you're very talented. Until next time!




IMK says...


the original had individual stanzas, but copy pasting from google docs does this



Plume says...


Ah, I see. Generally, if you put a bunch of spaces in the enters/spaces between the stanzas, it keeps the white space.




Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau