z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Two Steps Forward One Step Back (Prologue)

by vetas


You probably failed many time in your life. Don’t worry, I have to. As a matter of fact, I still fail. Does that make us failures? Does that mean we are getting nowhere? Mistakes and failures are something that we will always come across. Don’t beat yourself up too much about it. I have done that and it just makes things worse.

We always hear many success stories. They inspire us to get out there and succeed. To some, success stories bring them more down. It makes them think they will never be able to reach that dream they have. We tend to compare ourselves with others and try to be like them. Truth is, everyone has their own definition of success. Comparing to someone else is the worst thing we can do. So don’t do it!

My friends know me for having all kinds of ideas, ideas that never succeeded. I had dreams I wanted to reach that I never did. I have a feeling that you are the same way. This book is not going to be a big success story. It won’t tell you about a way I got rich or made it in the business world or how I got famous. This book will be about stories how I kept on failing and what I wish I did differently. There will be a lot of “what if?” questions. I am sure there will be stories that you can relate to. Maybe it will help you avoid mistakes I have made.

Two steps forward and one step back. Why did I choose this name for the book? It’s a rule that I wish to follow. Mistakes and failures will always happen. They should only take you one step back. But that step back should always be followed by two steps forward. That way you are always moving one step forward. You will make progress and move towards your goal. Don’t keep taking steps back. And don’t take one step back and one step forward. That gets you nowhere. Hopefully that concept will be clearer in the rest of the book.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1394
Reviews: 28

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:58 am
ThemagicalEbonyFox wrote a review...



Hello again! After reviewing the first chapter, I've come to have a look at this.
So, from what I can tell, this is a self help guide aimed at adults who want to turn their lives. The text itself is very well written, I didn't notice any grammar issues or anything like that. I thought that the Rhetorical questions were very effective, it flowed well.

I'd like to see how you could make this book unique and different to others of its kind. I've read a few magazine articles and online blogs with similar contents and they all tend to sound the same. What's different about this one? Why would an audience chose to read this instead of another book by someone else?

This is quite a short review because I didn't find much to comment on, but I've tried to give you useful advice all the same. I really enjoyed the first chapter, and now I've read this it makes a little more sense. I'm looking forward to the second chapter and I hope I can review that too. Keep Writing!
Ebony




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 pm
jamgalloway wrote a review...



Hmm. I'm not quite sure what to think about this. It's written *very* well, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure about who the target audience is. As in, if this is for sell in a store or something, it may be hard to get people to buy unless you were a famous person. Nobody wants to feel like they're being preached to. Not that that's what I think this is like so far cause I don't, but at the same time I could see other people reading this and feeling that way. So, I think my suggestion for this is to take out this prologue and just start with the first chapter with you writing about your mistakes. This is all my opinion so do whatever you want, of course, but I think a book about the mistakes and failures someone has made would be really interesting as long as it doesn't turn into a book of advice. Something that just talks about what happened and what *you* learned from it without talking directly to the audience giving advice about it, you know. I don't know if I'm making much sense, lol.

But, like I said this is your book so you do whatever you think is best. This is just my opinion to think about as a reader.

This all being said, I think the actual writing of this itself is quite good. It all flows together well. But it doesn't feel--and hopefully this doesn't make you mad because I don't mean it to offend you--interesting. And maybe it's just me and it'll be interesting to other types of people, but for me personally, I would not want to continue reading after this point in the book.

So that's all I really have to say, I guess my advice is to just start the book with a story of a mistake or failure you made/had instead of this prologue. Hopefully this didn't sound to harsh or anything because it does have a lot of potential and it's a great place to start. If you need any help with anything, just want to talk, have questions, want me to review something else, whatever, just let me know and I'd be happy to. Good job and good luck! :)




vetas says...


Thank you!




Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said