Home » Literary works » Short Story » Mystery / Suspense

12+

Coffins

by starryknightt

Coffins. They were stuffy old things, but at least I’d smuggled in an air freshener. Now it smelled like Evergreen Trees. Better than dead body, am i right?

Any minute now…

My phone vibrated, its notification sending a halo of light spiraling into the darkness around me. Boy, I thought, catching my breath. At least I’m not claustrophobic.

It was time.

Lacking creativity, I simply sat upright, smashing my head against the coffin lid on the way. A hollow thud followed by a wooden clatter ensued as the lid flew across the church floor, skidding to a stop by Michael’s feet. He slowly glanced up from the coffin lid, up to me.

I blinked against the sudden brightness. I couldn’t help but grin from ear-to-ear. “Well, hello, everyone.”

I caught Michael smirking to himself.

Around me, it was like I was trapped in some ironic painting. Everyone’s faces were frozen in palpable shock. The pastor’s face was the best, you see. Even his salt and pepper mustache appeared to be stuck into some exclamation point of horror. I caught Michael’s gaze again, and he returned the look, turning his icy blue eyes to my hazel ones.

“Did I miss anything?” I asked innocently.

“Well- uh- Miss Grey- you- uh-” The pastor stuttered.

I waved my hand in brief dismissal. “No, not you. Him.” I pointed at michael. “What’s going on here?”

Unlike I, Michael had a rather hard time keeping a straight face when it counted most. One of his few flaws. Me, on the other hand… I could be a Broadway actress if I didn’t detest singing so much.

Michael stood up, folding his black leather gloved hands into each other. “Ah. Well, Miss Grey… you-” He stopped, composing himself with a swallow. “You were dead, Miss Grey.”

“Was I, now?” I imitated the complexion of the thinker statue in the museum down the street from my apartment. “How odd.”

Michael snorted.

I kept my eyes from rolling. Buffoon. “Why was I dead? What happened?”

“You… you jumped from the apartment building complex, Miss Grey. The roof.” Michael glanced at me and I thought I caught something new in his gaze. Something...sad. But, no, he couldn’t be. I was fine. Alive, right here before him. I was simply seeing things. When he spoke again his voice was hoarse. “You cracked your skull on the pavement.”

“I see.” I shoved the puzzle of Michael’s emotions to a far, dark recess in the back of my mind. “Now, I wasn’t dead. If so I wouldn’t be here right now, obviously. Holding my breath and placing a golf ball in the precise location- directly on my pressure point under my right arm- caused my pulse to slow to a weak enough rhythm to convince you all it wasn’t there at all. Add some red corn syrup…” I shrugged. It was easy enough to understand. I wouldn’t simply die. Why would I jump of the roof of my apartment complex when there were murders to solve? Ridiculous.

Michael blinked red-rimmed eyes at me. Had he been crying? He couldn’t have possibly BELIEVED my whole charade! “I see,” he echoed.

I cleared my throat, turning my attention to the shell-shocked pastor in front of me. Oh dear. Michael and I had quite the audience. It was humourous, watching the fifty or so people stare open-mouthed, back and forth, at us as we commenced our conversation. They looked like fish, gulping for air.

I distantly realized I was still sitting in my coffin. That wasn’t the most proper of… stances, you see. I jumped out, earning a collective gasp from the people watching. I turned my head to the heavens, rolling my eyes. “What! I’m not DEAD!” I threw my arms out to my sides.

They stared at me blankly.

Hm. Maybe this was a bit too much for their frail, normal minds to comprehend. What was it like, having such a small mind?

Michael came and stood beside me.

“This is, what, the third time I’ve crashed my own funeral?” I asked from the corner of my mouth.

“Fifth.”

“Really? That many?” That couldn’t be. I thought back, to my other deaths, tilting my head to the side.

Michael gave an exasperated sigh.

Huh. Maybe it WAS my fifth time.

JadeLotus wrote a review...

The detail was incredible and I almost choked on my snack while reading this. I can still just imagine the faces when they burst out of the coffin. I think that this was awesome and I hope you make more of it. I did notice a few grammar mistakes and you should fix those. They help polish up a diamond. If that makes sense.

Overall I really enjoyed this and I hope to read more work by you soon.
-Jade

Thanks so much! I have seen those grammar mistakes you mentioned. I think it's because I did this during a fifteen-minute word race with a friend haha. I will be sure to fix them.

JadeLotus says...

YOU WROTE THIS IN FIFTEEN MINUTES! That's awesome!

Fantascifi66 says...

Haha oh my I burst into laughter about four times reading this. You should get an award or something!

Lol I'm glad! Thank you!

4revgreen wrote a review...

I just had to read this when I saw you said it had been inspired by Sherlock Holmes!
I genuinely think this is amazing. The description was great and really set the scene, and the speech was very believable! I can see where you got the inspiration from, and I wish Sherlock's fake death would have gone like this. Could you have imagined John's face :-)
I would love to know more- like why she faked her own death, who Michael was to her etc. I would also love to read more if you ever write any more!

John's face would have been PRICELESS!
Thank you so much for all of the compliments. Maybe I'll get around to writing more of this sometime.

SnowMonkey says...

Haha I love this! XD And I can definitely see how it was Sherlock Holmes inspired.
Very enjoyable read, it was very well written. :D

Thank you so much!

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity