z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Loud

by shayspeare


Drown them out;

The tender ballads,

The operatic arias,

Crescendo against

My brain.

---

Drown them out;

The sounds of the world,

They've become too loud:

Even the whispers

Graze my nerves.

---

Drown them out;

The synthetic world—

The blips,

The instrumentals that hide

In an unfocused background of shadows—

of melodious emotion

Is better than silence:

Thoughts subside when

The melody explodes into

A forte;

And a sizzling

Piano chains around

My brain.

---

Never too loud the world might be;

But, its synthetic counterpart is silence

To me. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 5221
Reviews: 84

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:12 am
Icon wrote a review...



Hey there! I really like this poem. The enjambment really adds to the reading experience. I left every line curious as to what was coming next, and it never disappointed! I'm a total sucker for poets who know that poetry doesn't have to rhyme, and you nailed it! As someone who has been to multiple rock concerts, the feeling of something being so loud you can barely hear was emulated very well, especially in the line "The melody explodes into/ A forte;" Speaking of that line, the musical terminology really adds to the poem as a whole. Long story (poem?) short, this is wonderfully written and I will certainly remember this!




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3050
Reviews: 174

Donate
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:44 pm
JesseWrites wrote a review...



Jesse here to review, so I am hopping in now.

This is meant to be poetry, but it sounds similar to a song. It doesn't really have a rhyme to it and some don't.

I review many works by you and I told you that before.

The ending was kind of stuffed in and it seemed pushed. I think you could have made it longer to avoid situations like that.

As the others said, the words are quite impressive, so I won't repeat that again.

My final advice would be to maybe practice for NaPoWriMo. You have serious potential in writing poems, so I recommend that.

Thanks,
Jesse.




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 148
Reviews: 29

Donate
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:07 pm
AngelLily wrote a review...



Hey, it’s AngelLily,
I really like the adjectives you used, it really got my brain turning with images. I can relate to this piece of literature, because I also find the world too loud sometimes. It’s really good that you can write a piece that can be relatable to the reader. I really like how you repeated the phrase, “Drown them out”. I also really like the structure and flow of the piece. You are an amazing writer.
Keep up the good work,
~AngelLily 😇





You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman