z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Chapter 4

by shaniac


July 19, 1987

Patsy was planning on sleeping in that Monday or running around the block later. But instead, she was greeted with a fierce knock on her front door and Chloe's presumptuous smile.

"We have to go to the club," Chloe informed. "Mr. Hamstring is waiting for us."

Patsy, half asleep with drowsy eyes, replied, "who's we? I'm staying home."

Chloe frowned, folding her arms across her chest. "Mr. Hamstring isn't going to li-"

"I don't care what he says or likes, Chloe!" Patsy snapped and almost closed the door, but Chloe pressed a firm hand against the wood. There was a glint of annoyance that swam around her hazel eyes, but her expression was a different story with a bright smile.

"Patsy, come on. Today is when you're initiated into the club!"

Patsy sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. A headache was starting to form behind her eyes -- the worst kind. Chloe was going to be more persistent until her way cut through a large amount of hesitation that Patsy was showing. Her drowsy spell quickly fell as she stopped rubbing the bridge and squinted at Chloe.

"Fine, we'll go," Patsy agreed. Chloe released her firm hand on the door and placed it together with her other hand, clapping the two together in a giddy fashion.

"Great! You have to get dressed first, though. You don't want to show up at an initiation in your pajamas," Chloe pointed out with her index finger. Patsy huffed and rolled her eyes, closing the door on her friend's face. She then hurried upstairs, cursing the amount of snarkiness that Chloe had with pointing out her decorative kitty pajamas. Patsy didn't care all that much for this initiation for a hokey pokey club that believed killing someone was good.

Patsy got dressed and fled down the steps. Chloe was still by the door, picking at the wood door beams. She then stopped picking as the front door opened up again and stood back on her heels. "You ready to go?"

"As ready as someone is going to meet a bunch of sociopaths," Patsy responded. Chloe laughed, patting her friend on the shoulder.

"Most of the people aren't sociopaths, Patsy."

---

The club building was well hidden among the other grey brick buildings that surrounded it. Chloe pulled the hatchback into the nearly empty parking lot and hopped out. Patsy followed after and inspected the outer walls, noticing a fading yellow and red logo. Chloe was ahead of Patsy, quickly walking along the sidewalk that led to the club. Patsy felt her gut twist as she followed after her friend. There was something darker about the building, but she couldn't place her finger on why.

Two metal red doors with a mailslot on one of them greeted the girls. Chloe knocked twice and the mailslot suddenly opened up.

"What's the password?" a deep and husky voice asked.

Chloe bent down and answered quietly, "the Hams are ready." She then stood up and smiled at Patsy, resting her hands behind her back. The doors creaked open and a man with brown stubble opened the door.

He smiled for a short moment and said, "Hello, Miss Roberston. Hamstring is waiting for you in his office."

"Thank you, Derek," Chloe said as she walked past. Patsy smiled at Derek, expecting a greeting of some kind but only got a deep frown. The girls walked down the dimly lit hallway to an opened room with several desks. There was a fan spinning slowly above the room and windows let in dusty sunlight. Patsy noticed that there were mostly men in this room, each talking to one another in silent tones. The smell of cigarettes was faint in the air and caused Patsy's stomach to sickeningly turn.

Chloe greeted a few of the men and continued on to Hamstring's office. She pushed open two grey doors that led down another dimly lit hallway. It was shorter than the one they had just entered through with windows that were covered by giant white garbage bags and most of the ceiling tiles were hanging on by loose strings. The dilapidated surroundings didn't settle with Patsy's already shot nerves and if she brought it up to Chloe, her friend would only push it aside.

With another set of doors opened, they entered a small room with an oak desk in the middle. Behind it sat a thick figured man with dark brown hair. He was bent over, scribbling on a piece of paper. Besides the man, more papers were stacked on each other and a coffee cup with a tea bag string hanging out.

"Mr. Hamstring," Chloe spoke up. He stopped scribbling and looked up. Patsy noticed a thin line of sweat along his hairline and bags under his eyes.

He smiled and said, "Hello Chloe. And is this Miss Storkhill?"

Chloe nodded, resting a hand on her friend's shoulder. "The one and only."

Mr. Hamstring pushed his chair back and stood up. His stomach stuck out a little bit when he did, making it seem like the suit he was wearing could snap out. That thought amused Patsy but then again, the buttons could harm an eye or two.

He walked around the table and to the two girls, bringing his hand out. "Mr. Edward Hamstring. It's a pleasure to meet you finally."

Patsy reached out and grabbed his hand. It was meaty, sweaty, and larger than hers. After shaking hands for a few moments, she quickly whipped the sweat on her clothes. Mr. Hamstring gestured to the two seats and asked, "Take a seat. We have much to discuss."

Patsy and Chloe sat down in the lush red seats while Mr. Hamstring went behind them to a coffee maker on a crowded bookcase. "Would either one of you like coffee?"

"Patsy and I had coffee before we came," Chloe lied. She then made a face at Patsy that gave the message of his-coffee-is-as-horrible-as-poison. Mr. Hamstring then went back to his desk and sat down, pulling his chair in.

He clasped his hands together and rested it on the desk. "So, how did it go?"

Patsy blinked, feeling an odd sense of deja vu. "The murder?"

"Yes, the murder. Was there a struggle? Did you do it in teams? Explain to me the process."

Chloe sat forward and began, "I just want to say that Patsy did most of the work. I thought it would be best if I just remain lookout for the time being. I kind of wanted Patsy to feel the waters without my help." She then sat back down and gestured to Patsy to continue on.

Her friend looked at Chloe with confusion but did as she said. "It was simple, actually. Mr. Marcos was face down in the kitchen when I found him. He appeared dead drunk so the stabbing wasn't that hard. The hardest part, I think-"

"I didn't ask how you felt after killing him. I just wanted to know the process and if there was a struggle, Miss Storkhill," Mr. Hamstring warned. He then unclasped his hands and rested them on the table. "My club, Miss Storkhill, is tricky business. I work with sneaky people that are usually people like you and me. They have lives to live and at night, they go to kill people. That's how this club works. Reverse vigilantes, if you will.

"Now, Chloe reminded me that this was your first time. And I am surprised that Benjamin was passed out when you arrived. I figured, at least, he would be in the party room by what the previous club owner said. That's an interesting aspect," Mr. Hamstring noted, leaning back in his chair.

Chloe cut in, "Do you think it is possible that Benjamin died before Patsy got there? Like, someone got to him first?"

Patsy reeled back and stared at her friend. Where did that idea come from?

Mr. Hamstring hummed and shrugged. "Probably. That seems like a reasonable option, but until then-" he then stood up again and went to a far wall. A sign was pressed against a corkboard. It read 'nothing says oops like accidental murder', which confused Patsy. There were a thousand questions that bounced around like bubbles stuck inside of a small room.

Mr. Hamstring picked up the sign and walked back to where the girls were sitting. "Here's this for your first attempt. Consider it to be a welcoming gift," he said as he handed it to Patsy. He then stepped back and gestured to the same door the girls walked through. "You girls also came at the right time as we are taking a club picture so if you could follow me."

Chloe bolted up while Patsy stared at the sign that Mr. Hamstring had given her. She frowned, running her index finger along the curves of the carved letters. Chloe noticed her friend's sad expression and paused. "Patsy, what's wrong?"

Patsy sighed and shook her head. "Nothing, nothing. Let's go take the picture." 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again!! Here to finally get caught up on this story :D

This novel and Sonder's Hero for Hire should become friends (reverse vigilantes and killing people :p) I didn't expect this to be a theme for my reading this LMS season! :p

Anyway. I still like that we're going back and forth and seeing how things played out back then and how they're playing out in present times. I think it'll be really interesting to see how Patsy handles it when she realizes what the kids are researching and once she realizes how close they are to figuring out the truth about her.

I have so many questions about this club. Why does it exist? What purpose does it serve? How does the public or the police not realize something fishy is going on and bust them? Why would someone want to be part of it? What's in it for the people involved? (I mean they're being asked to kill people....) Is there a way out once you're in? How did it start? I could probably go on. I obviously don't want or need answers to every single one of those questions in this chapter, but I think I want to know a little more at this stage because right now it just sounds crazy and far-fetched that such a thing could exist without detection.

The only other big thing missing for me in this chapter is depth, and I know that's purely because this is a first draft and you're figuring it out as you go too :) I want sooooooooo many more thoughts and feelings from Patsy. Even though this isn't from her POV, it's still really about her, and I still don't feel like I really know her and have a sense of who she is. How is she coping with the fact that she killed someone? Does she have any remorse? Is there shock? Is she over it? Why does she want to go to this club? Why is she still hanging out with Chloe when Chloe told her to kill someone? What does she think of this club? What does she think about the purpose of the club? Everything like that. I want to know so much more about her and what she thinks about all of this.

My only other note was that the ending, that maybe Patsy didn't really kill Benjamin and he was dead before she got there, was confusing. Would Patsy really not have noticed if the guy was already dead? And having the earlier reveal that it was Patsy and then having this slow circle until the kids realize it's Patsy and now maybe it wasn't Patsy is confusing.

This story is exciting to me though because every chapter something happens that I wasn't expecting at all and I have no idea how all of the strings are going to work together and where you're going to take all of this, but I'm excited to find out!

I'm heading on over to the next chapter! Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:37 am
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



hey, shan!! *finger guns*

"Mr. Hamstring is waiting for us."


I'm SORRY I already knew there was somebody named Hamstring but it's too amazing to not mention also I already knew there was somebody named hamstring how did I not make that connection omg

*snickers* mr. hamstring

Patsy, half asleep with drowsy eyes, replied, "who's we? I'm staying home."


is that me

"Patsy, come on. Today is when you're initiated into the club!"


):

Chloe was going to be more persistent until her way cut through a large amount of hesitation


Okay I said I was trying to drift away from sentence stuff but I didn't get what this was trying to convey the first several times I read it. I know what you mean now about Chloe getting more persistent until Patsy relents but it took a moment.


-so as of right now, or where I am in the story right now, I can't really...imagine the setting of where they are right now? What's going on around them or what things look like around them? but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm going to say about it at this point ;)


Her drowsy spell quickly fell as she stopped rubbing the bridge and squinted at Chloe.


wait rubbing the what? (is this supposed? to be? her nose?)
oh so I reread that paragraph and I might suggest describing her hand falling instead of repeating that she's rubbing her nose? Just for uh, repetition's sake? I'm sorry this is hARD not to lean on my sentence crutches

"Most of the people aren't sociopaths, Patsy."


there's literally a person named Mr. Hamstring where's your proof Chloe


-The interaction between Chloe and Patsy almost seems...stilted, or unnatural? Why are they friends anyway? Why did Patsy agree to kill someone for Chloe? That's a pretty huge commitment, even when you're under peer pressure, and so far, there hasn't been a lot of indication that Chloe and Patsy really like each other. Obviously I don't know what the 'agreeing to kill Ben' part plays into the storyline/how it plays into it so I'm not sure if this is actually helpful or not, but I'd consider giving some chemistry between them? (just to clarify I don't MEAN romantic chemistry but also...¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

There was something darker about the building, but she couldn't place her finger on why.


well I mean, earlier you were all like "don't want nothing to do with some hokey pokey club of murderers' so I'm not sure why you're so confused about it now patsy. (also I didn't mention this but I love the use of hokey pokey and just? generally you use Neat Words and I Love it)

Patsy smiled at Derek,


Isn't she kinda on edge and wary on these people? I mean, I would understand if it was like, a forced smile, but this seems kind of jarring based on Patsy's past reactions to everything else.

The girls walked down the dimly lit hallway to an opened room with several desks. There was a fan spinning slowly above the room and windows let in dusty sunlight. Patsy noticed that there were mostly men in this room, each talking to one another in silent tones. The smell of cigarettes was faint in the air and caused Patsy's stomach to sickeningly turn.


YES THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. my description-starved heart is Pleased.

if she brought it up with Chloe, her friend would only push it aside.


get a new friend this one sucks.

He was bent over, scribbling on a piece of paper.


it's my cameo appearance.

a coffee cup with a tea bag string hanging out.


Okay so I might uh, describe this as a mug instead of a coffee cup? This isn't hugely important but I can't shake the disturbing image of somebody putting a tea bag in their coffee and I felt a need to point it out because it is a cursed image.

He stopped scribbling and looked up.


;)

Chloe nodded, resting a hand on her friend's shoulder. "The one and only."


not for lONG ;) ;)

It was meaty, sweaty, and larger than hers.


well his name is mr. hamstring.

Mr. Hamstring gestured to thhe two seats and asked, "Take a seat. We have much to discuss."


That's not really? A question though?

"Yes, the murder. Was there a struggle? Did you do it in teams? Explain to me the process."


*stabbity stab stab* oop he's dead. I don't know what else you want mr. hamstring.

"I just want to say that Patsy did most of the work. I thought it would be best if I just remain lookout for the time being. I kind of wanted Patsy to feel the waters without my help."


Has Chloe murdered someone before??? O:

Her friend looked at Chloe with confusion


Either there was a pov switch that I missed or?? this doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I think you mean Patsy looked at Chloe??

Patsy reeled back and stared at her friend. Where did that idea come from?


it's called plot Patsy. Also, did people just really hate Benjamin? Or was he just really, really unlucky? either way, poor ben. rip. literally

Chloe noticed her friend's sad expression and paused. "Patsy, what's wrong?"


she killed someone you meatball. (also again, pov change is a little jarring)

"Nothing, nothing. Let's go take the picture."


also isn't it kinda a bad idea for murderers to be? taking pictures of their secret cult gang? I know it's an Important Plot Point later on, but what if one of them got caught and the police found the picture? then they would be like "ah yes, here is those sneaky little devils". I don't think it's too much of an issue I might just have been watching too much detective stuff lately lol.


-we learn about the super secret elite club!! I'm excited to see how this fits into the story. I am going to say that I feel like this chapter could have had more...tension in it? There's a few notes of humour that sort of dominate the chapter, and I'm not suggesting removing them, but there isn't enough punch to the tenser parts of the chapter and it carries over too much I think. Still, I'm liking the chapters more and more as I go along ("I'm tired of mystery!!" *a week later* "MYSTERY SHAN I LOVE IT!!").

-also while I think that what I had said about the longer paragraphs being incorrect was incorrect, but I still like that the newer chapters are starting to cut down a little? I honestly can't tell you how long or short a paragraph 'can' be, because the novels I've been reading have behemoth paragraphs that take up a page, but I still prefer these shorter ones just because it makes it easier to pause if I have to and it's just easier to read through if you don't have to dig through masses of information (not that yours does, that's more of a general overview of other novels). That's kinda irrelevant I'm sorry but I felt like I should mention that??

ANYWAY that's all I've got for you today and you'll definitely see me on the next chapter very soon!! I'm so ready for Everything to happen :D

ily and hope you are having a terrific time <33




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 am
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there, shan! I'm back as usual for another review!

I really like Patsy as a character in this chapter, and how she just kind of puts up with Chloe sweeping her along - it's kind of funny and definitely getting her into trouble. xD

So... something I have to admit at this point of the story is that I expected it to feel more like a mystery. Essentially, I feel like that by showing us all of this from Patsy's point of view, I'm left wondering what exactly there is to discover in the present. Why should anyone go uncovering this decades-old secret? Is Patsy going to be possibly put on trial for this? How is this going to change the present? Because so far as a reader, it seems like that's where the "real story" is supposed to be. But if we keep having flashbacks from Patsy's point of view, where will the twists be as they're discovering things in the present? If the readers know the killer already and everything about her story, the novel can definitely still be interesting, but it's not really a mystery.

Chloe cut in, "Do you think it is possible that Benjamin died before Patsy got there? Like, someone got to him first?"

Having said that, ah, so this is more of a mystery. If this is the case, that would make everything a heck of a lot more interesting, and I'm actually pretty intrigued now. It would definitely affect the present, because if they're on Patsy's tail but Patsy is actually innocent... (I left the part above in the review because I think it's important for you to know what I was wondering at the start of reading this chapter, and how this somewhat alleviated those worries.)

But I agree with Patsy - Chloe's suggestion comes out of nowhere, and the only reason I'm really giving it much thought is because it suggests a mystery where previously in the story there had been none. I think if there was something more - like if Marcos wasn't known to be a drunkard, or if Chloe had been keeping tabs on him and it didn't seem like he'd drunk that much - then it would feel more plausible.

Patsy didn't care all that much for this initiation for a hokey pokey club that believed killing someone was good.

Then, frankly, why in the heck did she kill the guy? In previous chapters, I thought she did had some reason to dislike the guy, but in the end had mostly been pressured into actually killing him by Chloe. I just find it odd that she's so susceptible to Chloe's influence that she's gone along with all of this despite such strong feelings against it.

One final thing - I find it bizarre that a club of murderers is taking a club photo, just because it would be really incriminating evidence if found, and most organized crime is more careful about things like that. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. xD But it's definitely a weird club, and it's a great little detail.

And that's all I've got for this! See you in the next part.




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:50 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Alrighty, let's see if I can remember what I was thinking when I read this on the pad.

I am glad to get some more context about the club, but I still have absolutely no idea why Marcos was the target. Is this random, like for sport, or is this a hit? The club is quite established, which suggests a large organisation, but I'm not sure I can really deduce either from that. Lots of serial crime rings are very well organised, but obviously so are hitmen companies. Obviously, this story is a mystery, and I'm not meant to know everything, but it feels like the bomb of the club's existence has already been well and truly dropped now, so it would feel kind of late if I found out later the reason for the killing. It would be like "oh and also this", whereas if it came around now, it would add to the impact of the existing revelation of a club that kills people.

I quite like your description of the club, though maybe a few too rooms are gone through on the way to the office. A couple of times I paused to imagine the setting you described, then all of a sudden they were through a door and a different setting was being described, which was just a bit jarring. The physical descriptions themselves are good though, with just the right amount of setting, and I can very easily picture Hamstring, though I hope that name is weird as heck on purpose.

Also, I know you said that Chloe is insistent and that's why Patsy's here, but I really struggle to picture this. How does someone go about convincing someone else to randomly kill someone she doesn't know? That's quite a stretch of the imagination, and I think I'd like it filled in quite soon.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)





cron
Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox