A Flower's Inner Beauty

by racket

Flowers.
Unfolding their petals,
To gaze up at a twinkling sky.

Flowers.
Graceful creatures,
Too pretty to die.

So beautiful,

So fragile,

Stars upon the ground.

Painting the breeze
With fragrance.

None carry disease,
Too full of peace.

The only crease in my love is:
Flowers make me sneeze. 

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 am
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

Huzzah! You have written a poem without death, fear, or deppresion!
The line breaks are perfect, and, in conjunction with the punctuation they make the poem flow through the reader' mind like honey!
I kinda took a step back at the line "To gaze up at a twinkling sky." because it sounds like you are describing the night sky! (you know, twinkling stars and such...) And, as any fool know, flowers don't open their petals in the night. Perhaps a different adjective? (and preferably old fashoned and adventurous! not like my reviews- I can't spell good ones as well....)
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!

racket says...

Why thank you (I think)! I believe there are certain flowers that open at night (I don't know). Sometimes, it is so bright outside that the sky seems to twinkle, so that is what I was going for. Excuse me sir, I must say this, but this is one of my earlier works, which are not nearly as good as my current works. Sir, must you look at my bad pieces? No offense meant. Anyway, thanks for reviewing!
~Racket

Sorry, I tend to review-bomb people's portfolios! (for poetry.)
I looked at your others too!

SilverBerry says...

Flowers are beautiful creatures!
The poem flowed together beautifully!
The Funny, surprise ending probably made everybody laugh!
This poem was so simple, like a flower!
This poem had many flower characteristics, beautiful, simple, and they make people smile! Well done!

racket says...

Thank you! Thanks for reviewing!
~Racket, your BFF

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:51 pm
Hanorah wrote a review...

Hello racket!!!
I'm hanorah and I'll be reviewing your poem during the Christmas in July!!
I don't think I can find anything to critise!!! xD
It was a brilliant poem, it was capitalised, it flowed quite well and it was so simple and you didnt over-complicate things it was soo good!
Well done!
~keep writing

racket says...

Thank you! You have just boosted my confidence to a maximum! Again, thank you!

gabriellasloan wrote a review...

I love these kind of poems. You did a very good job. The first stanza and last are by far my favorite. The ending was kind of a surprise, but it makes the poem much more fun.
I did not like this:
"None carry disease,
Too full of peace."
While the previous two lines fit together, these two don't mesh that well.
Overall, a nice poem. I enjoyed it.

racket says...

thank you, i will take into account your dislike. Thanks for reviewing
~Racket

Mardehoward wrote a review...

Hahaha... this poem is incredible. So beautiful it makes me appreciate nature. First of all, Welcome. Your poem is great. You should keep writing more! I like the way you describe the flowers. I also like the way you used a metaphor to say how the spray odor through the air.

Keep up the good work!

racket says...

Sonder wrote a review...

Hi racket! GriffinClaw, here to review your beautiful poem!

First off, I just want to say that it is very difficult to successfully pull off a nature poem. And you did! Since so many people write nature poems, it can be difficult to make yours original.

I really like the ending. I was expecting it to be a serious poem, but it had an awesome humourous twist at the end that made me laugh. Most people don't take into account the allergies flowers cause, especially in poetry! :) Loved that.

I do have a few comments that you may want to fix.
1) I don't know if this is just me, but I think the phrase;
"Too pretty to
Die."
is a little strange, just the way it is split up and how it doesn't quite flow with the rest of the stanza. You could probably omit it or replace it with another line.
2) I didn't like the stanza;
"None carry disease,
Too full of peace."
It seemed a bit random and didn't quite rhyme. The problem is that the word "peace," sounded good with the following stanza, "Flowers make me sneeze," because it rhymed. So completely omitting that line would be strange. Since you already used the word "too" previously, in:

"Too pretty to
Die."

you may want to find a different way to say "peace" for the rhyme.

I loved the phrases;

"Stars upon the ground.

Painting the breeze
With fragrance."

They are so beautiful and wonderfully written!

Continue writing and being awesome!

~GC

racket says...

Thank you and I will take into account every suggestion you made. Thanks for reviewing!
~Racket

Hi racket! Welcome to Young Writer's Society! I'm Alliyah, here to review your work.

You did a great job using just a few words to create a lovely poem without making it wordy, or awkward sounding. The rhyming is very clever, I wouldn't have thought to rhyme "disease" with peace" I love that one! I also really like the the surprise ending: after you build up a beautiful flowers looking at the sky and filling the world with peace only to bring us back to the speaker and learn that they make you sneeze.

My only two suggestions/critiques are that I think you could do something more with the title, maybe incorporate the ending. It could be 'A Flower's Secrets' or 'What Lies Within a Flower' or something even more clever. Also I'm not sure that the word "Hope" meshes with it's stanza or flows well with the other lines, so maybe you could eliminate it.

Other than that, great job! No spelling mistakes that I could see. I hope to read more of your work in future, keep writing!

~alli-y~

racket says...

Thank you for reviewing my poem! I will certainly take into account these things. Now that I see your perspective, I do see that "Hope" does look a little odd in there. I'll eliminate that. I'll think of something more clever for the title too. Thank you for your suggestions and if you come look at the poem in two minutes or so, these things will be fixed! Thank you again!'
~Racket

racket says...

Does it look better now?

alliyah says...

Yes, and I really like the new title choice too, because people can easily equate flowers with beauty but it takes poetry to see their "inner beauty" to analyze and truly appreciate it. :)

racket says...

racket says...

Andrea2676Marie wrote a review...

I love the description here. Also it think you did a fantastic job at bring in a lot of emotion. It's hard to pack so much feeling into poems. I really like it, and I encourage you to continue writing! Keep up the good work, I look forward to reading another piece from you. As always, good luck to you and your writing.

racket says...

This is the first piece in my nature poetry series, so there'll be more.
I have written two other pieces if you're interested. The others are made in my teen problems comedy poetry series. The first is "Acne" of which I'm very proud. The second I just finished two minutes ago. It's called: "My Humbleness Rocks!" I'm not particularly proud of that one, so please read it and give me suggestions on how to fix it.
Thank you for liking "Flowers" and I can't wait to hear from you again!
~Racket

Sonder says...

"My Humbleness Rocks" no longer exists.
FYI to everyone.

Sonder says...

"My Humbleness Rocks" no longer exists.
FYI to everyone.

The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare