more than just fire

by Charm

i am made of more
than a devouring blaze,
and if you promise i am,
then why do you keep hurling
wood into the flame?

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:19 pm
Dreamwalker wrote a review...

Hey Marm!

First let me start with a little note: I love short poetry, the shorter the better. It's like five lines of punch-to-the-face and I just, yes. Yes, short poetry is so powerful when done right which isn't often.

That being said, I'm liking this much better than your last piece (not of course saying your last piece wasn't good!).

Just a few notes:

I am notorious for this in my own poetry so criticizing it is like, the worst? But your first line hints at a promise. "I am more/I am made of more" is so upfront and so demanding (which I love). However, there's a part of me that wants to know. Whats to see what you mean by saying you are more. Like why are you more than a crackling blaze? Though it defeats the idea of short poetry, I definitely want to see more of that thought. More of that demanding tone.

Loving the tone variation through italics though I'm still a little stunted on their meaning. I'm totally jiving with the mood, however. I love angry poetry.

There's some definite growth here.

DW

Charm says...

thanks :)

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:00 am
MeadowFlower wrote a review...

Hey marmalade,

I quite like your poem! I like how you use metaphors and imaginary to express your idea, instead of just being like:

"I am more than compulsive,
and you always tell me that I am,
but then why do you keep
provoking me?"

Not that it would be wrong to write it like that, it's just...not as interesting and as unique as yours :)

I do have a suggestion though. Do you maybe want to try to add a comma at the end of line 2 and 3? Why I'm saying this is because you have a comma at the end of the first line, but not after the other ones, so you pronounce the end of those 2 lines different than the end of line 1. It would make it smoother, I think. Ok, that sounded super confusing. Just try it out and put two commas at the end of line 2 and 3, and see how it works out. (I don't think you would need a comma at end of line 4, because it is italicized and reads different anyway) If you don't like it, then just put your poem back to how it was :) Also...do you want to try to add a "that" between the promise and the i? So: "and if you promise that I am" I was expecting the: "that" and it not being there created like a bump. Just try out, and again, if you don't like it, that's fine!

So: Awesome poem, I like it, and maybe you could try these two things out, and see how it works :)

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi marmalade! Niteowl here leaving a quick review.

Overall, I like this. I think it has some strong imagery and a powerful message.

However, I also got hung up on the missing "if" in the third line. I think it's primarily because of the use of "then" in the fourth line. At least in my mind, that sets up an expectation of an "if-then" statement, so not having the "if" in the previous line makes it more awkward to read. I wonder if the lack of punctuation is also contributing to this feeling.

My suggestion: Split this into two sentences and add some punctuation. I'll add my edits and then try to explain them.

i am made of more than just fire,
more than a crackling blaze.
and you promise i am
then so why do you keep throwing
wood into the flame?

I think making the first two lines their own sentence creates a stronger statement. It feels more like the speaker has their own identity separate from "you"'s attempt to destroy it.

I changed "then" to "so" because it also creates a more definite-sounding picture in my mind. "So...you do this", versus "If you say this, then why do you do that?". I think either could work, but if you want to use "then", then it needs an "if". (See what I did there? :P)

Overall, I think this is strong, and I like the imagery and the first two lines. Keep writing! :)

Charm says...

Thanks niteowl this review helps a lot! The 'so' is too awkward so I'll just add the 'if' lol

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:33 pm
Lumi wrote a review...

God, I love throat-cut poetry.

This is gonna be short, but I think effective in helping make this even denser and still edible, like a very spicy fudge. So listen and know I mean well:

you do not need most of line two.

"i want to believe / i am more than a crackling blaze"

thus removing the blatancy and redundancy from the small space you've provided. Below that, there's a syntactical advantage you can hone in on:

"and if you promise i am / then why do you keep throwing / wood into the flame?"

Which in its final form is delicious and wonderful and quite publishable, either as standalone or perhaps an interim page-turner for a median. Hands-down your best work yet, marms.

Keep it up.
Ty

Lumi says...

Additional notes include adjusting the title for less blatancy and experimenting with titles in general. I've been keeping tabs.

Charm says...

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to tell me. Get rid of line 1 and line 3? Also adding the 'if' in line 4 changes what I'm trying to say and the story along with the poem.

Charm says...

I've decided to cut out line 1 but I'm not so sure about the 'if' still. I feel like it's changing the meaning. It's not an 'if' situation, it's a 'it happened' situation, ya know?

Lumi says...

Hon, no.

I would get rid of a majority of line 3--all after "I am". Line five remains as-is. Refer to my notes again to see the adjustment.

Lumi says...

You misread my notes entirely, Marms.

Charm says...

Please don't call me hon.
i want to believe
i am made of more than just fire
more than a crackling blaze
and you promise i am
then why do you keep throwing
wood into the flame?

I'm still confused, please explain, because I want to improve my poem and I want to understand your criticism. Getting rid of line three makes this:
i want to believe
i am made of more than just fire
and you promise i am
then why do you keep throwing
wood into the flame?

What do you mean by "all after 'I am'." Which 'I am'?

Lumi says...

I apologize. It won't happen again. Here's a visual representation of my notes.

i want to believe
i am made of more than just fire
more than a crackling blaze
and if you promise i am
then why do you keep throwing
wood into the flame?

Charm says...

Oh okay. I see why you like that version, but "I am made of more than just fire" is my favorite line and it adds imagery into my mind. It's also the line I started with and built the poem off of.

Lumi says...

I appreciate that you relate to the poem at that point, but it's worth noting that, in the publishing world, author's intentions are nonexistent. There's either quality or a lack thereof, and growing attached to a line (bad or not) can hinder the production of good poetry.

Charm says...

Yeah okay

Charm says...

Hey, I can't my poem and I like it better. I took your advice but kept somethings I liked. What do you think?

Charm says...

fixed* (why did I write "can't"? xD wut?)

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm
TheLittlePrince says...

THIS POEM IS FIRE. AND MORE THAN THAT.

Charm says...

haha thank you :)

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina