z

Young Writers Society


12+

Viggo's Break - Epilogue

by papillote


Last bit of our heroes. Enjoy. And maybe go back to read Chapter 1 or the last chapter if you have missed them.

Judith Kemper was in her late fifties. She was a tall, muscular woman with a strong jaw, a stubborn nose and short steel gray hair. She favored long wool sweaters and oversized corduroy trousers that hung very loose on her large body. She also wore small glasses on a cord around her neck.

Judith wasn’t a talker. Even in AA meetings, her stories were always brief, factual and to the point. She rarely met anybody’s eyes and her wide face never betrayed whatever she was thinking or feeling. She was one of the most intensely focused people Nyssa knew. It wasn’t hard to imagine her once being the hottest plastic surgeon in San Francisco. Sometimes, she would look up and it was just plain obvious in those shrewd eyes, those long nimble fingers.

The first time, those well-trained eyes had spotted the marks on Nyssa’s body from across the aisle. No judgment, no well-intended pushiness, no shock and – thanks God – no pity. Judith had just looked her over with clinical detachment and taken her to the bathroom, where she had untied the bandage around her ribcage and proceeded to palpate the bruises on the younger woman’s chest.

They had re-enacted that scene, time and time again, in the following months, but, no matter how hard Nyssa had cried, how beaten she had been, Judith had always withheld the painkillers.

Dr. Kemper believed in tough love – it was love, nonetheless.

After she had moved back North, closer to her brother, Nyssa had kept in touch through burner phones, eternally grateful for the quiet acceptance her sponsor showed her. Judith wasn’t one to expound on her personal history but, from her silences and from what little she shared, Nyssa didn’t think it was her friend’s first experience with domestic abuse.

That’s how Nyssa landed on the front-porch of the former surgeon’s new house, bruised and battered as usual. She was crying, and she craved the comfort of a hug with every cell in her body. Judith, bless her heart, didn’t blink. Her eyes moved over her, narrowing disapprovingly when she saw the condition of her face and wrist.

“Made a hack job of treating yourself, uh?”

She pulled Nyssa inside the house.

***

Judith’s house was quiet, but for the faint echoes of classical music drifting out of the bedroom. It was pleasantly warm, but it felt a little cold. That was no doubt due to the severe style of the furnishing and decoration, which was all gray and white, all geometric shapes. Everything was clean to the point of obsession. Judith had once told Nyssa something about needing an uncluttered life to stay sober.

A calligraphed quotation was framed and held a place of honor on the coffee table, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

It was the first thing Nyssa saw when she woke up in Judith’s couch. The prayer of serenity. It had always been a source of comfort but, now, it inspired nothing but despair. She had tried as hard as she could and what had that gotten her?

Struggling to contain her tears, she sat up in the sofa. Judith didn’t deal well with tears and, so, Nyssa, who already owed her so much, wouldn’t get weepy on her. But damn, she hurt everywhere.

Judith had re-bandaged her wrist, which she said wasn’t broken. Unlike her nose. That was definitely broken, but she could still breathe okay and it had been part of their plan to operate on it anyway. To her surprise, her ribs were only cracked, not broken.

With bone pain, Judith had broken out the Toradol. Strength of will simply wouldn’t cut it. But the drugs just eased the pain, they didn’t erase it. Only vodka could do that. Nyssa knew, she could feel how much she needed alcohol, not just as a painkiller but to let loose that other part of her.

Reflexively, she revisited memories of shitty mornings-after. Normally, it was enough of a deterrent. Now, it barely registered.

Vodka, she thought again, longingly. But no, there would be no alcohol to be found in Judith’s house. Of course. And Nyssa wouldn’t bring any. Her friend was trusting her an awful lot, already, to allow another – newly-sober – alcoholic to clutter her clean space.

Hazily, Nyssa wondered if it was what she needed too – cleanness, a clean new start. Wasn’t that what she had always dreamed of? To shed her old identity, down to her face, to be forgotten. Everything pressed down on her, tightened, like an ill-fitted mask. Claustrophobia set in. Viggo’s words slipped into the small crack – words about being a beast locked in a cell, about finding escape in books, in movies, about creating worlds inside his mind.

She decided to start small. The house. She was safe within the house, free within the house. The monster under her bed had been slayed. It boggled the mind. She existed in a world where Russel Pierce didn’t.

She walked by the kitchen, but didn’t go in. She simply wasn’t hungry. Judith, like Viggo before her, wanted Nyssa to eat. Tomorrow, she would eat. Today, she would just drift through the house like a ghost.

The light was on in Judith’s office. She went to stand in the door looking in. Her friend was sitting at her desk, a closeup of Nyssa’s face on the screen of her laptop. Judith seemed to be sketching yet another stage of the minute alterations she planned to make to it.

Nyssa knew Judith had a file full of such sketches, that she had designed several possible new faces on her computer. Her friend loved the challenge of performing surgery so fine, so precise that it would make someone almost unrecognizable while also leaving no marks. Her alcoholism had driven her to an early retirement, but it hadn’t curbed her taste for the art.

Before, when it had seemed important, Nyssa had been excited about getting a new start, about waking up with a rounder face, a reshaped chin, nose and wider eyes. Before, when it had seemed so important, she had decided on lighter eyes and auburn hair. Before, when it had seemed so damn important, she had put together an entirely new identity, invented an entirely new personality to go with it.

Ana Flynn – that’s the name she had decided upon. A nice, common name with just a hint of Hispanic, in case someone decided her skin was too dark. It wouldn’t be the first time someone mixed up Cairo and Tijuana where she was concerned.

Ana Flynn owned a small condo in the suburbs of another big city on the West Coast. She had a history of crappy retail jobs, as well as a comfortable sum set aside on her bank account – an inheritance from her dead parents. It was a nice package, that identity, she had everything: Flynn’s old school reports, her pay slips, her driving license, her medical records even.

Ana Flynn was fleshing out in Nyssa’s mind even as she stood there, looking at the sketch of another woman emerging under Judith’s hands. She would be so different from Nyssa Malik that inhabiting her skin would be like a vacation.

Maybe Ana could be a genuinely nice girl under a snarky, prickly exterior. Few friendships, but deep ones. She would be a little shy around men, courtesy of the ex-boyfriend who had left her with a scarred leg and a certain self-consciousness. She would hide that behind sarcasm. She would be smart too and curious about the world around her, because Nyssa didn’t think she could hide that part of herself. Maybe Ana could enroll for night courses at the local college, trying to better her life.

Nyssa snorted, realizing that Ana was handling freedom pretty much the way Viggo had handled captivity. Was that irony or karma? Whatever it was, it was biting her ass.

A scratching sound and a moan came from the bedroom, drawing Nyssa out of her daydreams. Judith twisted around in her chair and their eyes met. She smiled one of her rare smiles. “Sounds like our patient is awake.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:26 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey papillote,

Shady here with a review for your epilogue on this lovely Review Day! I haven't read the rest of this story so this bit probably won't make much sense to me, but nevertheless I will attempt to give the best feedback that I can in hopes of catching something that will be helpful to you. Let's get started!

Judith Kemper was in her late fifties. She was a tall, muscular woman with a strong jaw, a stubborn nose and short steel gray hair. She favored long wool sweaters and oversized corduroy trousers that hung very loose on her large body. She also wore small glasses on a cord around her neck.


This is an absolutely fantastic description! I have a very clear, vivid mental image of what Judith looks like and it is excellent. Great job on the imagery and use of wording!

The prayer of serenity. It had always been a source of comfort but, now, it inspired her nothing but despair.


I think you might have an extra word here? Maybe it would read better if you deleted "her" and left it as "it inspired nothing but despair"

She was safe within the house, free within the house.


I'm not sure I like the repetition of the word "house" here. Maybe it would read better if you phrased it "She was safe within the house, free within its walls" or something like that?

Ana Flynn


Oh my goodness, that's the name of one of my friends. Haha what a coincidence! I've never run across someone choosing the full name of one of my friends in their novel before. That's great :D

~ ~ ~

Well, that's a creepy end. And I must say a lot of this chapter didn't make sense to me, but then I didn't really expect to fully understand it, considering it's the very end of a story I didn't read.

I do like your characters. They're interesting and I liked the idealism and just the plain sucky-ness of life that they're experiencing. It's a nice grounding touch and I think you did it well. This is an interesting story and it help my attention, despite not having the backstory. Well done!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




papillote says...


That's a fun coincidence, but I guess it means that name at least sounds real :D



Shady says...


For sure! Ana is great ;) haha



papillote says...


Since I also copied Judith from a real person, that makes two potentially real people in this chapter. It's barely fiction anymore. ;)



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:21 am
View Likes
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, papillote. I am here to provide you a review in honor of Review Day. Let’s get started, shall we?

Note: I have not read the previous chapters, so this review will be based on this chapter alone. Hope that’s okay.

Impression on Chapter:


Okay, from what I got from the epilogue, it seems that Nyssa was thinking about her past and of Judith? I couldn’t possibly tell what the whole story would be about since I haven’t read it. I enjoyed the imagery of the chapter, you drew me in into the epilogue, which is a good thing. One of the key points to have a good chapter is use tools such as imagery to bring your readers in.

Nitpicks & Stuff:


Okay, even though I found the chapter interesting to read, there were a few things I would like to point out:

The first time, those well-trained eyes had spotted the marks on Nyssa’s body from across the aisle.


This sentence does not make sense to me, and possibly to your readers. Maybe re-write the sentence in a way that make sense. For example:
Those well-trained eyes had spotted the marks on Nyssa’s body from across the aisle for the first time.

Judith had re-bandaged her wrist, which she said wasn’t broken. Unlike her nose. That was definitely broken, but she could still breathe okay and it had been part of their plan to operate on it anyway.


The part where it’s striked out is not needed. We already know that Nyssa’s nose was broken, so there’s no need to mention it twice.

She was safe within the house, free within the house.


No need to mention the house twice. You can just simply put the word ‘ it ‘ instead of house in the second part of the sentence.

Overall Conclusion:


Overall, the imagery of the chapter was very well written. It brought me into your story, which I mentioned before. Like I said, that is one of the key elements in a story, and you showed that amazingly. The only thing you should improve on is your wording. There’s no need to mention something again if it’s already mentioned once. In conclusion, very good read and interesting epilogue. I might read the whole story to see what it’s about. Also, congrats on completing this novel. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome




papillote says...


Thank you for the review. I'll touch it up.




the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature