z

Young Writers Society


16+

Viggo's Break - Chapter 1.2 - I think the Earth moved (Viggo's POV - suite)

by papillote


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Viggo, a disgraced cop, has spent a little under a decade in jail for a crime he didn't commit. Now, Nyssa, an old friend, comes to him offering to help him get out.

To know more, go back to Chapter 1.1.

Thoughts of Nyssa replaced sleep. In the vulnerable hours, at night, Viggo stared at the darkened ceiling, listened to the chorus of snoring and to the echoes of steps in the concrete halls, and all he heard was her voice, all he saw was her face, her beaten look. She danced around his mind, and so did Russ. They made him want to ram his fist into a wall and to beat someone up.

Then, the thought of running away came back, worse than ever before. It was an itch under his skin as he paced the rec yard. Restlessness kept him from focusing, pushed, and pulled, and tore him apart, and, by chow time, he was exhausted.

Viggo ate in the cafeteria with everyone. They had tried solitary confinement for a very short while in Pelican Bay, and it had almost driven him crazy. It didn’t mean that he was the life of the party, he focused on his lunch tray and didn’t talk to anyone. He had been served a glorious green mixture that called itself “creamed spinach”, a yellow rock masquerading as cornbread, sloppy, runny eggs and applesauce.

Even if not for the thought of freedom twisting his guts, he wouldn't have had much of an appetite for this shit. Prison had taught him, however, that he couldn't afford to be weak. He needed all the proteins he could get – they were fuel for the muscle he had built up. With the mindless determination of a robot, he grabbed the cornbread, tore it apart and began mechanically stuffing it into his mouth as he scanned the room for new threats. The trick to getting meals down was in swallowing before the taste could register.

He caught a few glares directed his way. No matter how careful the guards were – and he didn't think they were that careful, it always got out that he had been a cop. That's when the beatings usually started. He had completely lost track of the number of blows he had taken, of the number of days he had spent in a hospital bed.

Saint-Paul was his sixth prison. He had been beaten to within an inch of his life in the first two. He had almost killed an inmate in the third one – the idiot had cornered him in Necessities. Viggo had been really tired of defending himself by that point and it had taken four guards to make him stop choking the moron.

Then, he had done a short stint at Pelican Bay – supposedly the most secure prison in America. Another inmate had somehow managed to stab him four times on his way back to his cell. The shiv had missed his liver by less than an inch.

He had been kept in a lower security prison with a medical ward while he recovered from his wounds. Then, they had transferred him to Saint-Paul, which he hated the least so far. Maximum Security there felt more like protective custody and his daily life was a little less regimented. He had only been in a couple of minor fights, just a little posturing. Now, he was almost part of the scenery: people most often forgot to hate him.

Most often, he thought, meeting the eyes of another inmate across the room.

The young man smirked and dragged a finger across his throat. He was a short, wiry African-American with crazy eyes. He looked all of twenty.

Viggo wanted to sigh but managed to hold it in. Unless he was caught unaware or overpowered by some serious back up – both very serious possibilities, he could take the young idiot. One day, though, there would be a new young idiot he wouldn't be able to take on his own. Every day, that became more likely: he was thirty-five and he would either die or turn forty behind bars. All those pushups would only hold age at bay so long.

One of the guards bent to Viggo's ear, “Looks like Demens's got a hard-on for you, Carlsen.” His tone wasn't even unpleasant, he was just remarking on it like he'd have remarked on the weather. Ignoring him, Viggo dragged the last bit of his cornbread through the spinach, then up to his mouth. The guard chuckled. “You're a cool one, alright.”

Cool? He was about room temperature.

***

Viggo had half an hour in the rec yard that afternoon. Time spent out there was always the highlight of his day. There were only a dozen other prisoners from Maximum Security out with him. He was at the weight bench, engrossed in his work-out, when someone asked, “Doing okay, Pete?”

Viggo paused to eye the young man who had snuck up on him. Woodman “Wood” Baker looked like a choir-boy, fair-haired, blue-eyed and so damn young. He was only twenty and doing ten years for the brutal murder of his girlfriend. He rarely talked about his crime and certainly never defended his actions. The kid felt guilty – a rare gem. He deserved to be in jail, but Viggo had decided that he deserved to get out alive at the end of his sentence.

Wood was ill-equipped to survive in Saint-Paul. He had already wound up in the infirmary twice with serious injuries after getting dragged in someone else’s fight. He was lucky the warden had taken pity on him and transferred him out of general pop. In Maximum Security, he had his own cell and spent very little time at the mercy of other inmates. Viggo had his back too. The guards knew not to interfere with his efforts to whip Wood into shape.

“Doing fine,” Viggo grunted.

“I heard you got a visit, yesterday.” Wood smiled, and two small dimples appeared in his cheeks. “Pretty, young attorney, they said. Latina chick.” Playfully, he wriggled his eyebrows. “I think I need a new lawyer.”

Viggo grunted an almost-laugh. “What for?” he asked. “You aren't lodging new appeals, anyway.”

Wood raised an eyebrow. “'Cause you are? You said you were done with that crap.”

Viggo had been done with hope. He had thought that nothing could be more painful than the lure of freedom and exoneration. But…

“I am,” he said. “No freedom for me, Wood. No hope.”

No hope. He couldn't handle hope, but he could handle plans – and Nyssa Malik featured prominently in them. Poor kid, he was going to use her shamelessly, to abuse her need for absolution, for help and comfort. She was his way out.

“But there's this pretty, young lawyer and I've got all the time in the world to lose forming appeals.”

“So, you're going to try again?” Wood insisted.

Viggo shrugged. “Maybe.”

***

“Widen your stance.”

Wood didn't and Viggo kicked his right foot, sending him sprawling on the concrete. The boy rubbed his scraped hand and glared reproachfully at him. They had been at it practically non-stop, and Wood was covered in bruises and scratches.

“Ow!” he said. “What was that for?!”

“Focus! Your posture's terrible! If you can't even stand up right, how the hell are you going to defend yourself?”

Wood hoisted himself up. “Why the hell would I need to defend myself?”

“I won't always be there!”

Wood's expression went blank. He dusted his knees thoughtfully. Viggo took a deep breath. His temper couldn’t slip the leash. With everything else, he had neither the time nor the energy for this. The boy would have to take care of himself – same as the other convicted murderers.

“Really?” Wood sneered. “Where are you going? Or is that top secret?”

The mockery angered Viggo, emphasizing the fact that his plans were still little more than empty fantasies. “Shut up. You've got no idea what you're talking about.”

“Of course, I don't, man. You never tell me anything.”

“I’m telling you, shut the hell up and take that damn stance.”

The boy looked like he wanted to argue but, at long last, he took his fighting stance, feet just wide enough, hands up in defense right before his face.

“Your guard's too high,” Viggo pointed out. “I've got a highway to your stomach. Lower it a little. Not too much, your head's still your weaker point. Don't keep your hands so close together. Good. That's good.”

They started trading mock-punches.

Wood hated fighting, he was always on the defensive, afraid of his own anger, afraid he would lose it again and do something he couldn’t take back again. He had killed one girl, and that was plenty enough for him. Maybe it was for the best.

“You're real good, man,” the boy said. “Where did you learn all that stuff? You were a pro boxer or something?”

“I was a cop.”

“For real?!” Wood's eyes went wide and disbelieving. “I thought the guards were pulling my leg. They said you were a detective back in San Francisco.”

Viggo shook his head. Talk about a well-kept secret… The kid took advantage of his distraction to throw an uppercut he barely dodged. “Nice one.”

“Hm,” Wood mumbled. “Did you really kill another cop?”

“Helen Defoe.”

Wood wiggled his brows. “A girl cop?”

Viggo nodded. “She was another detective from my station.”

“Man…” Wood's mouth fell open. “You really killed kids too?”

“That's what they say.” Viggo’s fists tightened. “Her two boys – three and four – and her husband too, they say.

“That’s the truth?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

Wood feinted to the left but didn't shut up. “I don't believe it.”

“You think it matters? We’re convicted murderers. You, me, we’re shit outside this luxury resort. Who gives a fuck what you believe?”

Hurt pinched the boy’s lips. He really needed to toughen up. One way or another, Viggo planned to be gone soon from Saint-Paul. Wood would have to watch his own back.

“It's the lawyer, isn't it?” the kid suddenly blurted.

“What lawyer?”

“Your lawyer. I swear, man, you're like a different guy since she first came around.”

Viggo faltered. “Am I?”

He had to dunk to save himself from a nasty bruise. God, he hoped he hadn't been too obvious. After all their precautions, he couldn't let anyone guess at Nyssa's importance. Not even Wood. They would interview the kid within the first few days. The crucial, first, few days.

“Yeah.”

“How so?” he bit out, “Don't lower your guard!”

“You aren’t cold as you think anymore. You're, like, burning.”

The thought of Russ being out there had a way of setting him aflame.

“Burning?” he repeated.

“Waiting. Watching. Wanting. I can tell. And the time I saw her, she had the same thing in her eyes.”

Viggo took his most threatening tone, “You should stop flapping your mouth, Wood.”

The stupid kid just gave him an eyeful of that dimpled smile of his. “Relax. It's not like I'm going to tell anyone here.”

They glanced around at their peers and, sure enough, who was Wood supposed to babble to? The other Max-Sec inmates were creeps: child-molesters, serial rapists, the worst of the worst, those so bad general pop rejected them. It took new levels of evil.

“Just shut up, Wood. Your mouth is going to get you killed one day. What the…Woof!”

Wood had finally managed to land a punch in his guts. Viggo froze, both hands on his bruised stomach. It was completely silent out there, eerily silent. The rec yard was usually noisy, plus birds and insects thrived in the island’s vegetation. He was drawing up slowly when he felt the first tremor.

“What are you…” Wood began.

“Run! Away from the buildings!”

It was going to be a big one. Viggo could feel it. He grabbed Wood and sprinted for the fence. The rumbling grew louder and louder. The other inmates were shouting and scurrying around them. The ground was shaking under their feet, almost as if it was trying to trip them up. The earthquake came, and came, and came. Forever – but not really, of course. A big, very big one. Six. Maybe seven.

And, then, it was over. But the racket didn't die down. There were still crunching sounds, creaking sounds, dry explosions. Concrete, giving out. Sick with dread, Viggo glanced back over his shoulder. An aftershock hit. And the watchtower wobbled. It stood over them, looking ten miles high.

Understanding went through the rec yard like a shock wave. Guards and inmates alike launched themselves at the inner fence – which, fortunately, wasn't electrified. They crawled up and away from danger.

Viggo's brain short-circuited, went mute. He had to let go of Wood to climb. People were fighting somewhere. He could hear shouting, insults, threats and calls for help. He jumped down from the top of the fence. Wood was right behind him, clinging to it like an octopus.

The watchtower came crashing down on top of…everything. Viggo didn't think to react, he just took two steps back and, like a fucking miracle, all but two other inmates and the one guard got squashed under the building. Wood's eyes went wide. That's the last Viggo saw of his friend. Wide blue eyes, then nothing but a never-ending scream. Crushed. Crushed, just like that.

And around this single bit of horror, the prison was in rubble, a scene of apocalypse – broken slabs of concrete and dead-bodies. Viggo wondered if he had gone permanently deaf with the thunder-like noise. Then, someone screamed, and he knew he hadn't.

The other two inmates had jumped the last guard. He was only a kid, no older than Wood, and those two fucking animals had him pinned down. Charlie Linred and Ray Ramirez. Both serial rapists: Linred had a thing for pretty housewives, Ramirez liked little kids. He had his huge brown hands around the guard's throat.

No way. No fucking way.

Viggo heard an animal sound of fury but didn't realize that it was coming out of his mouth until he grabbed Ramirez’s collar and threw him on the heap of rubble. Quite a show of strength, but he didn't think twice about it.

Linred met his eyes and backed off, hands raised high up in the air. He scurried away when Viggo squatted next to the guard to check his pulse. The kid was alive – shaken-up and knocked-out, but he would be okay. Ramirez was out cold too. Just a bump on the head.

What a shame…

Viggo finally started thinking straight. It was three in the afternoon and the ground had virtually swallowed up his prison. Even the outer fences had been flattened by the crumbling buildings. It would take reinforcements a while to get to Saint-Paul island – and even longer to realize he was gone. His injuries were minor: a twisted ankle from jumping down the fence and a big scratch on his arm. He was thirty-six years old, and physically fit. He could make the short, hard swim to the mainland. Bad currents, but nothing lethal enough to dissuade a desperate man.

He took his cuffs and gun from the guard. The gun, he tucked under his uniform. The cuffs, he used on Ray. Then he looked around, spotted the last lone camera still standing. He waved at it, imagining some schmuck watching the recording, and he set out at an easy jog.

If Linred had any brains left, he would pray not to cross his path because Viggo was pissed off.

To know how far Viggo's going to run, read Chapter 2.1.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 1820
Reviews: 129

Donate
Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 am
View Likes
Wriskypump says...



It didn’t mean that he was the life of the party, he focused on his lunch tray and didn’t talk to anyone. He had been served a glorious green mixture that called itself “creamed spinach”, a yellow rock masquerading as cornbread, sloppy, runny eggs and applesauce.

gahhahaha!! You certainly have a bendy humerus bone in there somewhere don't you ")

"of the number of days he had spent in a hospital bed." - shouldn't that be OR the number of days?

His temper couldn’t sleep the leash. - You mean slip the leash?

The first time I read the part about the earthquake here, I felt it was most excellent. Right now I feel it is a little bit unrealistic. Do you think the watchtower would fill up like the whole rec yard when it tumbled down? Couldn't people have just run to the side to avoid it?




papillote says...


Oh, damn, another typo! I can't believe there are some left.
I think it's not unbelievable, because the rec yard wouldn't be all that big and it's said later that the entire prison came tumbling down.



Wriskypump says...


Well it must have been above a 7.0 to do that. Usually they only have that kind of quake in the ring of fire over near Asia



User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 am
View Likes
tgirly wrote a review...



Hello again,

This half of the chapter is pretty great. The only major thing is that I don't know much about maximum security prisons, so I would suggest researching them, such as the normal prison population breakdown, to see if even at the max level, it's so highly concentrated with murderers and rapists. I don't know if a character like Wood would end up here, since usually I think they take behavior within the prison into account, and usually try to separate them into potential-victims and potential-victimizers, to keep everyone safe, at least in the minimum security units. Again, I don't know much about the maximum security prisons, just a few things about minimum security units, but people who do know will be able to pick those things out, so you'll want to make sure you've got your research done.

On to the line edits!

I know she's short, but the fact that he keeps referring to her as "little Nyssa" is starting to get patronizing. She's perfectly competent, she's pretty tough, she's doing pretty well so far for all the pressure that's on her and knowing a murderer wants her dead. Is it just because that's how Viggo sees her since he's known her so long?

Not sure the guards would be cool with Viggo kicking Wood to the ground. Pretty sure that’d break some rules.

“The earthquake came and went.” This particular line sounds almost nonchalant, which takes away from the tension/excitement of the earthquake. Also, as far as the earthquake goes, it feels a bit too convenient. Maybe if you had some foreshadowing like a news report saying one was likely, or someone commenting on how long it’s been since the last earthquake and how they were overdue for one in the region earlier on?

“It was just a very big one. Six. Maybe seven.” I live in the Midwest, nowhere near any tectonic plates, so when we have earthquakes they’re dweeby little things that don’t even wake you up if you’re asleep. I have a very, very rough idea of how big a six or seven is, so this isn’t that descriptive for me. Maybe you could add another sentence to the end of this paragraph explaining how big a level six earthquake is?

I’m not sure climbing the fence is realistic, since the top would be all barb wire and everything, probably electric. This is max-security after all. I feel like they’d just try to get to the periphery of the yard. Also, it seems odd that the watchtower would fall so slowly, giving them time to fun and climb over a fence. Perhaps you could have a section of the fence fall? That would seem more realistic and stop a lot of questions about this.

“He had no external injury but his pulse was weak and his temperature was low.” People are usually still warm when they first die, it usually takes a bit of time for them to turn cold.

I'm really enjoying this story. I'm going to try really hard to get through it all this review day, but if I can't, I'll still try to get it all read and keep up with it as you post more.




papillote says...


Hi, I know it took me a while but I made small adjustments and I tried to take your advice and to let the reader see more of Viggo's prison life.



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 1820
Reviews: 129

Donate
Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 am
View Likes
Wriskypump wrote a review...



So far reading this, everything flows and I can't find anything in need of correction. Wondering how you did that. Hopeful I can give you a few pointers, but it feels like I'm doing all the learning here.

“So you're going to try again?”

“I guess we will see. If she sends the paperwork over, I will certainly try.”


*****

“Widen your stance.” - I mean, what a transition this was.


“Really? Where are you going? Or is that top secret?”
The mockery angered him, emphasizing the fact that his plans – their plans – were still little more than empty fantasies. “Shut up. You have no idea what you're talking about.” - This is just absurdly amazing. The mockery irritating him because his escape plans were still so up in the air. Most people aren't of the ability to put something like that into so crisp of a coherent statement.

“What do you say?”
“My opinion on the matter? Who cares? Focus.” - I love how this guy doesn't give anything away. I am enamoured of characters who have to play their cards close to their chest.

"There never was much to hear in the courtyard but those few birds and insects..." - put a comma in front of but there?

"It stood over them, looking ten miles high." - you make me feel woozy like a real earthquake wood ;) Too bad he's DEAD now. Stinks that you killed pretty boy. Buuuut, it's only likely they wouldn't both survive.


" his just-barely-overage self " - I first read this as something pronounced as Over-idge. Do you think it would be good to just put "barely-over-age self"?

"The watchtower was looming behind him, right until it stopped looming and went crashing down on him. Viggo didn't think to react, he just took two steps back and, like a fucking miracle, all but two other inmates and the one guard got squashed under the watchtower." - This just almost succumbs me to schock... I feel, like, I am. Viggo 0.O

"theoretically well out of his prime, but physically fitter than he had even been." - Great way to put it btw, but shouldn't it be fitter than he had Ever been?

Great use of the cuffs too. Don't need any more serial rapings going on out there. At first, i thought Viggo was gonna take the young guard with him: but I guess trying to make that friend would be none to smart. And an exonerated inmate is manifold times more efficient on his own.

Incredible piece of craftsmanship. A++++




papillote says...


Thank you for the review.
Sorry for the ever/even thing. It's a typo.



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun May 07, 2017 1:13 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Me again!

She hadn't realized that she was turning to the very devil for assistance. He nearly hoped he would feel regrets or guilt but he appeared unable to. He was going to use her shamelessly. He was going to take advantage of her distress and, once he was out, he would dump her to go pursue his real goals.


Man, this makes me SO SAD considering I just read the chapter that included some of their friendship backstory. I mean, I realize this chapter actually comes first, but wow, it's so sad to see Viggo thinking about how he doesn't give a crap and is just gonna use Nyssa.

Oh God I hope he softens up once they're working together!!!

But I like how even under the cold exterior à la He's Been in Jail for a While for a Crime He Didn't Commit, he still has the same values and the potential to be good. The way he's teaching Woody to defend himself and appreciates Woody's guilt and fear that he'll repeat his crime (which is really the main reason to sympathize with Woody, because otherwise I'd be like "uh you still killed your girlfriend in a jealous rage???"). And in particular the way he saves the young prison guard from the attacks of the other inmates, like, doesn't even think about it or consider his own safety, just immediately gets the other inmates out of the way.

Which gives me hope for my ideas about what'll happen once he and Nyssa work together. A bit, maybe, hopefully.

I was a bit confused by this, though.

Wood's eyes went wide. That's the last Viggo saw of his friend. Wide blue eyes, then nothing but a never-ending scream.


Mostly because, like...did Wood get crushed by falling building? Or did something else happen there? I'm not entirely sure. I mean, it seems like crushing is what's happening pretty universally in this chapter, but some clarification here would be nice.

This review courtesy of
Image




papillote says...


Crushed, I'm afraid.
I didn't especially want to kill Wood but it's kind of the story of Viggo's life: everything he cares about gets taken away all the time (brother, father, mother, fiancee, best friend, job, etc).
And yes, Viggo is kind of a bastard to Nyssa once he gets out of jail but, on the plus side, she is way smarter than he gives her credit for and she is not really the naive girl he knew anymore so he might be in for a surprise.



BluesClues says...


she is way smarter than he gives her credit for and she is not really the naive girl he knew anymore so he might be in for a surprise.


Excellent.



papillote says...


I made corrections and crushed, crushed, crushed him ;)




You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time