z

Young Writers Society


16+

Viggo's Break - Chapter 17.3 - Something Good (seven years ago)

by papillote


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Nyssa, who was trapped in an abusive relationship with a corrupt cop, Russel Pierce, is going to run away with Peter "Viggo" Carlsen, the former partner Russ framed for murder. Angela Macdenn, who works in the District Attorney office, was Viggo's fiancée before his arrest.

To know more, read Chapter 17.2.

As she stepped into the crowded mall, Nyssa wished there was something she could buy, anything, that would make her feel less lonely. It was always a bad time of the year. Christmas was in the air. Huge firs stood in the great hall like columns. It smelled of resin, mulled wine and roasted chestnuts. The shoppers moved like automatons dancing to the Christmas carols.

She zigzagged between the angry housewives and the poor morons doing last-minute gift-shopping, the crowd jostled, suffocated her. She definitely didn’t need to be there. She had no family, no friends and there was no way she was buying Russ anything.

Unless…

What if he found out that she had been at the mall? He always seemed to know when she was hiding something from him. Maybe she should buy him a gift. That way, if he asked her where she had been, she would have a cover story ready.

She was still considering that, frowning a little to herself, as she took the elevator to the third level. The moment she stepped out of it, she forgot all about Russ. Angela was holding a table on a terrace. The small tea house was bursting with customers, and the waitresses looked harassed. It was a scene out of another life, where they were still friends, down to the steaming mocha the ADA was drinking.

Of course, Angela Macdenn wasn’t the same woman anymore. In the first few months after Viggo’s arrest, she had gained more weight than was fashionable. Her hair was now jaw-length and she barely wore any makeup anymore. Not so perfect, now. She still dressed expensively, but one or two seasons out of fashion. Her heels were shorter, her necklines were higher, and she favored pants over skirts. Not so perfect anymore – and men seemed to like that.

Even her demeanor had completely changed. She used to be the soul of politeness but, after the storm of shit that had been Viggo’s fall from grace, she had reemerged with a somewhat shorter manner. She got to the point, she did her job, she expected competence in return and she wasn’t afraid to speak up her mind if someone didn’t impress her. Oddly enough, this new-found temper had made her the rising star of the DA’s office. She had always been bright, but there had always been something too soft and sheltered in her. In the words of her boss, she now had what it took.

Nyssa waved at Angela, who smiled – a smile that was more hesitant than before, rarer and dearer for it. “Hi.”

Nyssa sat down, preempting the hug that had been customary greeting between them. She really wasn’t that fond of being touched anymore. The pretty ADA didn’t seem to mind. She sat back down and petted her friend’s hand gently. “It’s great to see you.”

“Yeah,” Nyssa answered truthfully, although she was wary of the complications her old friend could bring into her life. “Well, it’s nice to see you too but I was kind of surprised to get your call.”

Angela’s smile turned nervous. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“You could say that.”

“I didn’t mean to drop you like that, Nyssa. I just…” Her eyes turned pearl gray with tears. “It was too hard.”

Nyssa hesitantly patted her hand. “I know. I understand. It was…a bad time.”

“You can say that again.”

Tacit understanding, shared pain passed between them. She blurted out, “Do you still miss him?”

Angela’s composure immediately went to pieces, her eyes darkening to the color of storm clouds. “I’d like to tell you that I don’t but…You can’t love someone like that and let them go completely.” She touched two dainty fingers to her chest. “There is still an empty place in my heart that he used to fill, and it won’t ever go away. But I’ve made my peace with that.”

“How?”

The shy, somewhat nervous smile broke out again. “I’ve met someone.”

“Have you?” Poor Viggo. “When? Do I know him?”

Angela blushed. She actually blushed! “No. Nobody does. I met Charles at the big counterfeiting seminar in Boston last Summer.”

“Congrats. He’s an ADA too?”

“FBI agent.” A grin slipped out, probably prompted by Nyssa’s easy acceptance. “Out of the Philadelphia office. He’s a great guy. You’d like him, Nyssa.”

And yet she hadn’t introduced them. Why?

“I’m happy for you. Oh.” Nyssa realized she had missed the obvious – namely, the solitaire sparkling on Angela’s hand. “You got engaged?!”

Her other hand moved quickly, nervously to cover it, but she caught herself mid-gesture. “I…I’m not used to…It’s fairly recent.”

“Well…Congrats. Is that why you invited me out for tea?”

“Sort of…I’m relocating to Philadelphia. They’re offering me the DA position there.”

Her smile faded when Nyssa didn’t answer right away. Truth be told, she was feeling blindsided.

“You are…leaving?” she asked.

“I think it’s for the best.”

A lot passed between them in the long silence that ensued. Angela had stood tall and kept her head up through the ordeal but those last few years hadn’t been easy on her. She couldn’t just wipe the smirch of scandal. Half the people she worked with were still wary of her connection to a dirty cop/cop killer while the other half pitied her. Both those reactions hurt her. Frankly, it had been incredibly brave of her to tough it out for so long.

“When are you leaving?”

“Weber has agreed to let me go without notice. I could leave tonight if I wanted to, but I plan to take my time packing. I only start in Philadelphia next month.”

“That’s great. New job. New town. New man. I wish you all the best, Angie.”

Angela winced. And Nyssa had been trying so hard to sound upbeat and sensitive, too…

“Thank you. Not just for the good wishes. For everything you did along the years. I may not have said anything, but I knew.”

Nyssa shrugged off the other woman’s gratefulness. Siding with the pariah had been a no-brainer when she was faced with the same ostracism.

A waitress finally had the spare time to come over and take her order. Nyssa asked for, “Black tea, sugar and milk, please.”

Angela tried to find common ground again, “Same as usual?”

“Yeah. I’m not a big fan of change.”

At the moment, she positively loathed it. How was that fair? The pretty doll Viggo used to date was thriving under pressure while she, a born and bred survivor, was wilting away. There was the trouble with change: it always, always, always played favorites.

“I hope from the bottom of my heart that it’s not true.”

“Hm?” she mumbled questioningly, tilting her head to the side.

“Here is the thing.” Angela put her mocha down on the table and her serious face on. “I told Charles a great deal about you. I even showed him the work you did on the Brummen case, last year.”

The Brummen case. Fun one. Nyssa sat a little straighter, remembering. It had been one of those puzzles she loved, and she knew she had done a great job.

“Yeah?”

“He was really impressed. He said you showed promise. Well, actually, he said the FBI should poach you for their cyber division.”

Nyssa’s facial muscles ached with the strain of grinning. It had been an extremely long time since she had last smiled. “It would be fun. Lots of new toys.”

“That’s what I thought,” Angela replied, relaxing herself. “The FBI might come knocking one day but, in the meantime, I thought…Well, the District Attorney office is short one cyber investigator, over in Philadelphia. You wouldn’t get to do lots of hacking, but I could use you. And it would be nice to have a friendly face around.”

Oh, God…Angela was offering her an out. And what an offer! Nyssa could see herself in Philadelphia. Free. Russ was lots of things, but he wasn’t stupid, he wouldn’t risk the wrath of a DA and an FBI agent just to get back at an ex-girlfriend. If she could place herself under their protection…There would be no more yielding to him, no more disgusting demands, no more hating herself in the morning, no more painful, soul-crushing sex, no more withstanding his rage and fearing for her life…

God…Oh, God…

And if it had come six months before, three months, two months even, she would have grabbed onto that offer with both hands. But now, she had the memory of Viggo in that prison, hurting, and angry, and mean. She remembered the feral light in his eyes, she carried it everywhere with her. He hadn’t been asking, but she had offered hope. If she were to take it away now…It would be beyond cruel.

Wouldn’t she hate herself anyway if she left him behind? Damn…She had heard that doing the right thing could be hard but this…This was torture. How could she subject herself to being Russ’s freaking possession one minute longer than necessary?! Viggo’s blue eyes flashed in her mind. She had to demean herself for just a little while longer.

“I’m sorry, Angie. I can’t.”

The words were like needles in her mouth. She hurt so much she should have bled with them. Her answer seemed to upset Angela as well. “Oh, Nyssa…It’s one of those situations where a change would be good for you.”

“I know, believe me. I know.”

“You…”

“I know, Angela. My life here is crap. My professional reputation is ruined. Once you’re gone, I won’t have a friend left in this town. And Russ…Well…”

Angela’s face twisted in disgust. “He is a dog. He is…repulsive.” She shivered. “He scares me sometimes. The way he looks at me…”

Alarm bells went off in Nyssa’s mind. “The way he looks at you? Did he…?”

Her friend looked away. “I know you are…I don’t want to…”

“Forget about that. Did he proposition you, Angie? Please, tell me.”

Angela pressed her lips together and nodded, at last. “Yes. A few times immediately after…Well…And then again, earlier this week, he came over to my place, acting like…” She made a grossed-out face. “He left in a towering rage. I was…less than polite, I’m afraid.”

She attempted a small smile, but it died all on its own. Nyssa had gone pale. Russ had come back home furious earlier that week, but it had been the cold fury she had grown familiar with, the one she knew heralded dead bodies.

“You need to leave, Angie. Do you still have that nine millimeters?”

“Why?!”

“Please, Angie, just trust me on this. You need to get out of town now. How soon can you be packed-up and ready to go?”

“Tomorrow evening at the earliest. Why?”

“Listen. You remember how we used to be friends? Do as I say. Trust me. Please!”

Angela hesitated, but nodded.

“Good. You need to go home right now. Make sure your gun is ready to be fired, keep it loaded and on you at all times, including when you sleep. Pack up your stuff as quickly as possible, even if you’ve got to stay up all night to be done with it by tomorrow. And trust me, please, be on a plane tomorrow night at the latest. You need to get out of town before Russ hears you’re leaving.”

“But…”

Time to get her ace on the table.

“Remember what Viggo said, the night they arrested him?” Angela’s eyes went wide. Her face blanched. She gave another shaky nod. It wasn’t easy for Nyssa. She would bear the brunt of Russ’s anger when he learned of this, but she managed to grit between her teeth, “Run like hell.”

The ADA took that literally. She jumped to her feet, sending her chair clattering to the floor, and she weaved her way through the throng of people. Long after she had vanished, Nyssa remained at their table, sipping black tea, staring blankly at nothing in particular.

Interesting reaction, she thought. So, Angela knew…How long had she known, exactly? Why hadn’t she done anything about it? Now, wasn’t the world full of riveting questions?

Cooler than she had a right to be, she pulled her computer out of her bag. She had a hidden bank-account to track down. Now was as good a time as any.

To know what Russ is up to in the present, read Chapter 18.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 pm
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Papillote. I'm Pan and I'll be reviewing your work today. I haven't read any of the previous chapters, so I do apologise if I comment on anything that's irrelevant or already been cleared up in a different part of the story.

First Impressions

I really liked it. Even though I've been thrown into the story very late in the game and don't have any idea about the wider plot, I still found myself completely drawn into the chapter. You've got a lovely, accessible writing style and your pacing, apart from maybe a slightly exposition-heavy section at the beginning, is excellent. If I get the chance, I think I'll definitely check out the rest of the story.

Nitpicks

There aren't many, but I'll point out a few odd bits that leapt out at me.

It smelled of resin, mulled vine and roast chesnut.


1) I'm guessing you mean mulled wine?

2) I think 'roasted chestnuts' might sound a bit more natural, because presumably there's more than one chestnut being roasted.

She was still considering that, frowning a little to herself, as she took the elevator to the third level but, the moment she stepped out of it, she forgot all about Russ


This sentence seemed a bit overlong to me, and I had to read it a few times before I fully got to grips with it. I think it could be rephrased and split into two.

It was about the only thing that hadn't changed along the years.


I've never heard 'along the years'; it's normally 'over the years'. Unless that's just a British English thing.

her freeking perfection.


Should be spelled 'freaking', I believe.

The hard shell she had grown out hadn't spoiled her charm either.


Missing word. I think 'grown out of' would flow better.

"Hi."

Nyssa sat in front of her, preempting the air-kisses or hugs that were customary. She really wasn't that fond of being touched anymore. The pretty ADA didn't seem to mind. She sat back down and petted her friend's hand gently. “Hi. It's great to see you.”

“Yeah. Well, it's nice to see you too but I must confess that I was kind of surprised to get your call.”


I think you could do with a few dialogue tags here because I was a bit confused as to who was saying what. I was getting tangled in my head.

There, was the trouble with change: it always, always, always played favorites.


I'd delete that first comma; it throws the rhythm off. Lovely line, by the way.

“Hm?” she mumbled questioningly, tilting her head to the side.


It's abundant from the rest of the sentence that she's being questioning so you don't need this.

“Please, Angie, just trust me on this. You need to get out of town now.


In writing, it's much more standard for italics to be used for emphasis rather than bold, so I'd consider changing that.

Overall Thoughts

1) As I've said, I really like the chapter. It flows nicely; the dialogue is good; you capture the relationship between these two distant friends very well. It takes real skill to write in a way that's engaging even when you don't understand the context, so good job on that. If it's indicative of the quality of the rest of the novel, you're onto something great here.

2) I feel like the section where you talk about how Angela has changed goes on for a little too long. It's quite dense, and I felt my attention drifting towards the end of it. You generally handle telling writing well because you have a very light touch with it, but I think you could make that section a bit briefer and more condensed. It's around the paragraph where you start talking about her demeanour changing that I started to lose interest.

3) Obviously I don't know the full history between Nyssa and Angela, so perhaps there is a deep-seated trust between them that might explain it, but I found it odd that Angela resisted so little when Nyssa told her to pack up her stuff and leave. It's a monumental request and Nyssa doesn't give her much by way of a justification for it. Even if Angela was willing to do it, I feel like she might demand to know why first.

I'll call the review there! Sorry I couldn't review this against the context of the whole novel, but I hope my points were still helpful. If you take nothing else from this, just know that I really enjoyed it and I'll plan to check out the rest of the novel.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




papillote says...


Thank you, Pan.
I love nitpicks, they are one of the most useful things about being reviewed.
I'd definitely love it if you told me what you thought about a few other chapters.



papillote says...


Thank you, Pan.
I love nitpicks, they are one of the most useful things about being reviewed.
I'd definitely love it if you told me what you thought about a few other chapters.



papillote says...


Thank you, Pan.
I love nitpicks, they are one of the most useful things about being reviewed.
I'd definitely love it if you told me what you thought about a few other chapters.



Panikos says...


Glad they helped! I'll put them on my watchlist for other things to review. :)



papillote says...


Thanks.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



This is potentially???? the most emotionally-charged I've been by this entire book thus far. Let's talk about that.

The way you managed to pull strings of the past together IN the past inside of dialogue between two friends on the rocks who were in a dynamic conversation...is just professional writing. I have to praise this because it's potentially an example of the best writing I've chewed through on this site over 7+ years.

And the dynamics of the conversation--the proposal, the job offer, the Russ talk, the Ace escape, and the last mic drop of "Run like Hell" energize the chapter section so it reads so quickly and you really REALLY want to slow down and savor it. So I did. So much that Steggy stole my GR review from me. ;P

One thing this certainly brought to light was that, at this stage in Nyssa's life, she was trapped by both Russ AND Viggo, and I think that would bring out some very strong chemistry in their relationship later on (or previously since we were speaking of reworking 17.1-2.) It strikes me as so interesting, and I'd like to hear from you whether or not you caught onto this theme or not in Nyssa's arc.

Regardless, other than some misspellings like 'freeking' there aren't flaws aplenty here. Just discussions to have, I think.

All the best,
Ty




papillote says...


Thanks for the review. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier but, now that I have, I'm really glad you left it.
I really liked writing this chapter. The place waas slower and it was well outside the main storyarc so I felt freer. I didn't really like Angela as a character throughout but she was really handy to show the extremes that pushed Nyssa to make the desperate choices she did.
And yes, part of the pressure came from Viggo. Part of me really wanted to show him as the perfect, considerate, smart hero but the truth is that, as a romantic prospect and as a hero, he's better than Russ, but far from being perfect.
Several times before, he's made the cowardly choice, like never reporting Russ for his many, many perversions. I don't know if I really developped Nyssa's point of view in the rest but I certainly expounded on the subject of Viggo's mistakes.
And it's almost the end! Only 5 chapters left (7 parts). I can't wait for all of your reviews....



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:46 pm
View Likes
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello, Steggy here for a short review! I haven't read the previous chapters so correct me if I'm wrong.

I do like the beginning of this chapter because it shows the sadness of one character and it kind of relates back to how they were wanting to see the people there, waiting for her but also bringing in the common thing about Christmas and how most friends or families are usually unable to see each since it is crowded and such. I also feel like 'salvation came in many forms' might come into play throughout this chapter or even the main point of what is going to happen later.

Interesting development with the main character hiding from someone else. I wonder what reason that could be (I'll possibly go back in the previous chapters and read up on why she is hiding from him). I do enjoy the kind of the main description of what happens during Christmas shopping in malls because I see it every day when I do go shopping for presents and whatnot.

I believe in this chapter you are trying to show how much has changed since Nyssa and Angela had last seen each other since Viggo's arrest. Much like what Blue said below, there is a nice connection between them when they are both talking to each other. It does bring forth their relationship a little better also.

Angela blushed. She actually blushed!


I don't know if this was to show that Angela never blushes but to me, I don't think the second part is necessary because, well, the reader already knows she blushed.

The ending does bring forth a suspenseful aspect for what is going to happen in the next chapter. Overall, I did enjoy reading this chapter and it kind of makes me want to read the previous chapters to see what is going to happen. If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy




papillote says...


Thanks for the review. I'm not sure it's the best chapter to start reading this story because it's a bit outside it, as Blue said.



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:37 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Excellent, a new chapter

I really like that we get a scene between Nyssa and Angela. I don't mind that most of the scenes in the story are between Nyssa and Viggo (obviously I think they're super cute together), but it was nice to see a scene between the two main women, especially since there are all these references to them being friends but we don't get many scenes that show them getting together for any reason.

Even though in this case it's almost post-friendship.

But Angela still offered Nyssa a way out, and Nyssa still warned Angela to get the heck away from Russ and also congratulated her on her new life.

(I am also glad Angela got a move-on and had a chance for something better, even though also it makes me feel bad for Viggo. But whatever, then he gets Nyssa so it's fine.)

And even though most of Viggo's memories of Angela are basically of this perfect goddess, I like that we see her vulnerability here - how her carefully presented life was torn apart by Viggo's arrest, how she needed to know that at least one friend would approve of her moving on, and more than that how scared she is when she realizes what Russ might do because she rejected him.

I don't have much else to say about this chapter, since it doesn't particularly move things along (even compared to other memory chapters). You did a great job of presenting a former friendship where the friends still care about each other but are awkward and uncertain. I think the only thing that kind of threw me was this.

Nyssa sat in front of her, preempting the air-kisses or hugs that were customary.


Were air-kisses a customary way for them to greet specifically, or? Because although I (very occasionally) see this in movies, I've never actually seen anyone in real life do it. Is this a thing people do in France?

Image




papillote says...


I know the chapter doesn't move things along but I liked that it gave a sense of closure where Angela's concerned as the story draws to an end.
And yes, here, we kiss the people we know when we meet them, even if we aren't especially close (except if we're in a formal relationship of some kind).
I didn't realize it was a cultural thing. How do Americans greet their friends? They just say "hi"? Because it sounds a little standoffish.



papillote says...


I know the chapter doesn't move things along but I liked that it gave a sense of closure where Angela's concerned as the story draws to an end.
And yes, here, we kiss the people we know when we meet them, even if we aren't especially close (except if we're in a formal relationship of some kind).
I didn't realize it was a cultural thing. How do Americans greet their friends? They just say "hi"? Because it sounds a little standoffish.



BluesClues says...


I didn't mind that it didn't move the story along, it just made it a little tough to review.

It kind of depends on how good of friends you are and individual personalities. Good friends, especially women, are more likely to hug (or we might kiss people on the cheek, but I feel like that's less common). Men will hug sometimes but a lot of them (not all) do that "bro-hug," which is literally this in case you don't know

Image

It's like the hug version of "no homo bro" because Straight Men. ANYWAY. Some men just shake hands. If it's someone we aren't close to, although this again depends on the people involved...yeah, we might just say "hi" and shake hands or wave at each other or something.



papillote says...


Culture, hm...Who knew? Thank you for enlightening me.
This bro-hug thing actually feels more metrosexual than kissing. Over here, if they're concerned with looking manly, men clasp hands or something. Kissing is more customary, though.



BluesClues says...


Well, they also do that if they're concerned with looking manly, but also they might just shake hands because they don't know each other that well. Whereas a bro-hug vs. a hug just screams "concerned with looking manly," even though that may not always be the case. It's basically what the rest of us assume is the case.

So you guys kiss even if you don't really know the person that well? What about if you're meeting someone for the first time? Do you shake hands or?



papillote says...


It depends. If it's a formal relationship, like teacher/student or boss/employee, we might shake hands. Most often, we kiss (on se fait la bise). My highschool had narrow hallways and they were always blocked by people kissing in greetings. I do something like the bro-hug thing because I wear glasses and they get in the way.



BluesClues says...


...yeah, mine would probably do that too. Here kissing is really just for family members and romantic relationships, although some women will kiss their friends in greeting. (Men, definitely not, unless they came from another country where that's a thing.) I feel like it's more among old women, at least where I live.



papillote says...


Well, you're lucky. I always found it annoying to have to kiss people I don't especially like, like coworkers and other students.



BluesClues says...


Yeah, that would be super awkward.



papillote says...


There's an exception to that. I've got childhood friends who've become devoted muslims. They don't kiss or touch girls so they do a weird salute, hand over the heart. It always made me feel like a general on the battlefield.



BluesClues says...


I think I'd feel a little silly doing that, but it's still better than having to kiss someone you don't want to kiss.



papillote says...


I actually had to look up the rules because it's something that comes pretty naturally. But I found two videos explaining 'la bise' to foreigners. They're kind of lame but they explain things very well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPjmumMPhbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAREHu3tW7E




"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites