To Marta

by niteowl

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Oh Marta, my Marta. Today is nothing without you.

I first saw you in a photograph smiling, your luscious hair of gold shining in sunlight. On that day, I bought a boarding pass to Moscow. Holding you, I was young again, kissing you was my libation. With two rings and an ivory gown, I had to marry you right away. As I took you back to my mansion, I had to grant you all I had. Anything for you, my Marta. Anything so you say you savor this passion too.

I was a rich man, Marta, and you did know it. Cars, diamonds, pricy clothing, cash—if you said it, I would obtain it just for you. Many would doubt our union, but I said “You do not know what joy my Marta brings”. At night, you would lay with my aging body so I would stay warm. I did not ask much, I don’t think. By morning you would go off to do as you wish and I did not mind, as long as you would sup with your old husband. You had it all, and as long as I had you, so did I.

I know I was no strong man, no young buck. I could not last for you, though I would constantly try. You did not want your husband, with his frail body. Your paramours can satisfy you, darling, but can your suitors hand you all that I will? Until my dying day (which is not so far away), I was yours, Marta. No man but I would say that. Upon my burial, all I had was yours. My kids cannot justify having a dollar.

Now, I am falling ill and I am stuck in this isolation. I was just told that you caught a flight back without a parting kiss. Oh, Marta, how could you commit an act so hurtful? I am soft for you, Marta, but I cannot stand for this (although I can hardly stand at all). I am blotting your autograph out of my will. Laws stand not with you, but with your poor old husband. You had so much, my darling, but you cast it away. Such a small cost for so much, but you could not wait, and now, you will obtain nothing. I am sorry it had to finish this way, Marta. I still think of you fondly, and I pray you find a joy that you could not with this old, sad man.

I must ask though, my Marta: was Russia so kind to you as I?

A/N: This was my entry for the YWS Olympics Event where we could not use the letter E. The "prequel" is posted here:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=108871

Ruby68 wrote a review...

Really well done! I barely noticed the lack of e's. This was a hard challenge and you managed to pull it off really nicely. I love some of the synonyms you found for words containing e. I enjoyed this a lot, and its prequel. The ending was very sad. I'd be interested to see her take on how their marriage actually turned out. I really can't find anything to change, a few places are a little awkward but that's only to be expected since you couldn't use the letter e.
Nice job!
-Ruby-

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm
Temerity wrote a review...

Hello again niteowl! Wow, color me impressed. I've never tried to write a short story without e's before but I can't fathom that it's particularly easy, though you pulled it off well. I think the piece itself is also intriguing - the poor old narrator who seems so enraptured by this younger woman, the fact that he at first can't see that she's using him for his wealth (or perhaps does but refuses to acknowledge it). It's a story that's been told before, but this doesn't take away from the impressive feat you've accomplished in meeting the prerequisites of the challenge while simultaneously writing a decent story.

Anyway, as far as corrections go, I'm afraid I have none. Keep writing, and best wishes. xx

niteowl says...

Thank you! Yeah it wasn't easy but I had fun writing it! :)

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore