February 17, 1874

by niteowl

A/N: This is my entry for the "Across Time" tournament. The prompt is "the 1800's".  I've chosen to base mine on the true story of Lt. George Dixon of the Confederate submarine "The Hunley" and his lucky coin. You can find more details here. This story takes place 10 years later, after Queenie remarried. Feedback on the title or ending would be helpful. 

On a dreary February morning, William Walker Sr. walked out onto his porch to find his wife fiddling with her pocket watch.

"Queenie, dear, what's wrong? The servants said you barely touched your breakfast."

"Don't tell me you don't know," she replied, still looking down at her pocket watch.

"I'm afraid I don't, dearest."

"You would forget your fallen brothers so easily?" She looked at him, clearly holding back tears. "To me, it seems like yesterday, yet you speak like the war was ancient history!"

"I said no such thing. I have never forgotten those who fought for the South with me, my little rebel."

"Then how could you not know? It is the 17th of February, the day the Hun...oh my George!" At this, she broke into uncontrollable sobbing.

William handed his wife a handkerchief and put a hand on his wife's soldier. "Oh, of course. Forgive me, Queenie, for being such a fool. Lieutenant Dixon died in honor, sinking a Yankee ship."

Still in tears, Queenie opened her pocket watch to reveal the inscription in the casing.

Queen Bennett, December 25, 1862

"He...he gave this to me. Got the lucky coin engraved just like it. He said...he said he'd always be with me, and I with him. And he promised he'd come back...Oh, why did he have to get on that stupid fish boat?"

"Queenie, dear, so many lives were lost in that dreadful war. I saw it myself in Shiloh...the blood, the bullets, the men in agony. You can't even imagine..."

"I know. But...but they all got proper Christian burials. Their wives and sweethearts and sisters got to mourn them properly. And I have nothing! No grave to visit, not even a scrap of his clothing."

"It is sad, my dear. But look at all we have here. This beautiful Mississipi mansion, our perfect son and another on the way..."

At that, Queenie couldn't help but smile and rub her belly, now five months with child. "This one's going to be a girl. I can feel it. And then you'll have two litle rebel girls to deal with..."

"Oh, I dare say I'm up for the challenge, my Queenie." He bent down and kissed his wife's cheek. "Now what can I do to ease your tears? I hate to see you so sad."

"I'm not sure you can do anything, William. You are so good to me, and I love you, but you can't expect me not to mourn George. He was my first love, after all."

"Of course, darling. Why don't you tell me about him? I knew him only in battle, after all."

"Well, he was a captain on one of my father's steamboats back in Mobile. He was so handsome, I could not help but stare at him. Imagine my surprise when I realized he was hardly twenty years old. With that mustache, he seemed so much older." She showed him the old photo she had of him. "We met before the war started, but it was friendly...I was just a young girl after all. But oh, how I adored him!"

"That's why you gave him the coin?" William asked.

"Yes. The lucky gold piece. I wonder if he had it with him when the Hunley sank..."

"Now that coin, I remember." William's mind went back to that awful April day in Tennessee. The young blond-haired man from the Midwest whom he'd met just the night before had gone down from a Yankee bullet, right in the thigh where he carried her coin. "If your coin hadn't been in his pocket, Lt. Dixon would have died much sooner."

"I know. He called it his life preserver. And when he came back to Mobile, he needed someone to tend to him. That's when we got closer, that summer and fall...but then he got involved with that stupid fish boat! He always believed it would work, even after two crews died on it. Just had to wait for the right seas, he always wrote. Right after he complained about the rations of course."

"Aye, the soldier's rations were awful. But not as awful as the battlefields, I can tell you." Sometimes William still had nightmares of Shiloh, where he could hear nothing but his brothers in arms screaming in agony. He would wake up in a panic and Queenie would have to reassure him that it was only a dream, that the battle was long over.

"Of course, dear. It was much harder for our brave soldiers. I am sorry for sounding so selfish and petty."

"Nonsense. I should have remembered the good Lieutenant's sacrifice. You should never forget such a love as you had." William rubbed his wife's shoulders to reassure her."And we will never forget him in this house. One day, you will pass down that watch and tell our children what a brave man Lt. George Dixon was. And so he will be with us always, just as you promised him."

"That sounds perfect, dear." Queenie wiped her eyes dry and put the pocket watch away.

Sat May 20, 2023 1:53 am
foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello this is the one and only, totally awesome Foxmaster!!!
So first of all, I LOVE your avatar! It's so funny! Getting to the point....
what an interesting story! I am also not that good at history. I have to say that this story was very sad and I enjoyed it a lot. I look forward to reviewing your work, and hopefully you can review some of mine. So...

I have to say that William sounds like a good man but I really feel bad for Queenie here. it must have been hard, and you can really process her feelings here. A sad but true story, the ending was good and I can tell the title was appropriate for this. That is all.......... *plays dramatic music in background!!!*
-Foxmaster!!!

niteowl says...

Thank you! Not sure how you found this lol it%u2019s pretty old and not very good, but I%u2019m glad you liked it!

foxmaster says...

Yup

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 pm
Angelreader77 wrote a review...

I'm not really familiar with American history but I went through the link at top so I did have a general idea before I read the story. The premise is really sweet and a lucky charm stopping a bullet is pretty cool.

I had no idea what was significant about February 17th and I was curious to find out. So the title did draw me in, which is ideally what titles ought to do. But for the theme "1800's" or "Across time" (or historical fiction genre entirely) having a date as the title isn't original.

I would suggest you think of a sentiment that runs through the story and you think is really significant and work a title around that. Kind of like how a prologue gives vital information that can't be said anywhere else- I've always thought the best titles were like that for short stories. (If that makes sense?) Maybe something from the engraving?

Something that really bugged me was how William says "my dear" or some equivalent after each sentence? Terms of affection are great but I think it's unlikely you'll attach one every time you speak no matter how in love you are.

The story is mostly dialogue and most of what you need to convey comes through that. I don't know if you have a word limit but maybe consider adding some more narration? Physical description of both characters and surroundings would enhance the image.
It would also help in adding a historical feel to it. Right now, if I remove the few mentions of the date and war, I wouldn't knew I was reading something set in the 1800's.
There isn't anything in the story to indicate that. You have used different speech patterns but I'm not sure they're prominent enough to be the only indicators of a different time period?Even details like clothing can help add another dimension to a story.

Not sure about the ending: it's not abrupt but it feels incomplete? I think you could work a bit more with Queenie's reaction to William's last statement. It's very...mild(?) and too indefinite to be the end of the story. (does that make sense? )

Pretty cool piece of history~ I hope I helped!

Angel

niteowl says...

Thanks for reviewing! I agree about the ending, which is why I pointed it out. I was using the terms of endearment a lot because he is trying to comfort her. I admit I'm not the best at description (probably because I find it boring to read lol), but I'll look into adding some more.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:43 pm
ErikaHale wrote a review...

Hello there, Niteowl!

This is a very clever short story, I must say. The vocabulary, organization and dialogue couldn't be better. Your word choice is superb. And in less than a couple of paragraphs you transported me to that time, and made me feel Queenie's grief.

The only error I came across is pretty insignificant and very specific. On paragrpah 11, the line reads: "...And he promised he'd come back...Oh why did he have to get on that stupid fish boat?" I would've added a comma after 'Oh'.

Next up, the opening sentence of any short story is of mayor importance. Yours is descent, but it could be more engaging. Maybe instead of "fiddling with her pocket watch." you could write "staring misty eyed at her pocket watch."

But other than that, it is a most wonderful short story. I fell in love with every word, and the fact that this talks about real people who once walked on this Earth just makes it all more romantic.

Yours truly,

Erika Hale

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet