z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language

"Danser" Pt. 3

by manilla


Listen Along: Bryce Fox - Horns (STéLOUSE remix)

Listen Along 2 {EXPLICIT}: Bryce Fox - Sociopath (STéLOUSE remix)

~x~

A/N: Thank you for all of your reviews so far for the Danser series. <3 I’m not running out of ideas, I swear. This chapter is probably prone to future edits, reviews or not, and I will bold them. I hope this chapter will surprise you :)

~x~

“At your service, Your Majesty,” the guards say in unison, saluting before marching out a pair of mahogany double doors.

The iron tang of blood catches you off-guard, and the soft clanking of shackles against shackles is the only sound lingering in the hall. A pale, bony hand in chains grips a bar, unchanged, red-stained bandages on her knuckles. Raggedy raven black hair falls in disheveled strands, barely over the girl’s shoulders. Her height gives away she is only a few years older than Empress Maria, but her expression reminds you of something more. Something crueler. Her eyes narrow at you with pure hatred, and her jaw clenches over her gag. Scars and bloody, open gashes line almost every inch of her body, and the blood makes you feel faint. One large string of hair sits in the middle of her face, a white streak through the middle. But what surprises you are her eyes.

The one on your right is gray, and the one on your left is purple.

Empress Maria sneers at you. “Take care of her. Raise her until I tell you not to. But she’s a monster, a witch, don’t you see?”

Pure terror washes over you, and your face pales into a shade of alabaster. 

The Empress is the witch here. 

Your hand clutches the skin of your arms, a cold sweat dripping down your neck. This thought is not yours. It's the girl's, you think, but how could this be close to possible? The Empress can't be a witch. She may act like one-No, don't think that. The Empress is merciful for giving you this opportunity. 

"You've already signed the contract." The Empress's words send chills down your spine. You haven't touched a single paper or pen today. She pulls out a manilla parchment with the royal blue seal and raises it high above her head. Your signature sits on the bottom of hers. 

"B-But I-" you stammer, looking both ways for a quick exit. I didn't do this! That signature was forgery! your thoughts scream, as if trying to pry their way out of your head and through your mouth. Guards would flank all three ends and they would kill you without hesitation if you made any attempt to escape. You then meet the gaze of the girl in the cage, whose eyes begin to laugh at you with a certain insanity you cannot describe. 

"You. Signed. It," Empress Maria repeats, clenching the form in her raised hand. "Do not argue with me, Miss Natadova."

"Yes, Your Majesty." The words fall out of you like a dying breath, your last wish, and they're certainly your last hopes.

"Good. I hope I've made myself clear."

The girl's icy gaze locks onto you. I could kill the Empress right now if you let me free. The natulys could be all yours, and more. 

"No!" you yelp, hot tears forming in your eyes. Any trace of your calmness has severed. "I cannot allow it!"

"What do you mean, you cannot?" Empress Maria snaps, unsheathing the hidden rapier at her side. "I've given you enough mercy and spent enough patience on someone like you up until this point. What about the one million natulys you so desperately need?"

She throws out a wad of bills, raining down above and onto your head. It takes you all your willpower not to race out to collect them. 

"Y-Your Majesty, I beg your-your pardon and h-humbly apologize!" you implore, the tears finally falling down your cheeks. She wouldn't understand that you were talking to the girl. Your hands clasp together as you fall to your knees, head falling to the ground. This is it, you think, heaving sobs overcoming any other thought. My life is over.

"I don't care about your stupid apologies."

From the corner of your blurred vision, the Empress raises her rapier over your wretched, sobbing form and strikes down. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 am
Hattable wrote a review...



Hey, manilla!

Finally getting around to this. Excited to see how it plays out from the ending of the last chapter!

So, grammar stuff first, as usual.

The iron tang of blood catches you off-guard, and the soft clanking of shackles against shackles is the only sound lingering in the hall.

“Off guard” shouldn't be hyphenated. Also, do shackles make a different sound from other metal objects? You might consider changing the “shackles against shackles” bit, but I feel that's too nit-picky, so no need to mind it much. I just point it out because it feels a little weird, but it's fine as it is.

A pale, bony hand in chains grips a bar, unchanged, red-stained bandages on her knuckles. Raggedy raven black hair falls in disheveled strands, barely over the girl’s shoulders.

“Unchanged” is a bit odd to use here, especially considering the MC doesn't have much of a way to tell that they're unchanged (they may look unchanged, but who's to say they aren't just recycling old bandages?) I think simply calling the bandages old (or using a synonym for some spicier vocab) would sound better.

Raggedy raven black hair falls in disheveled strands, barely over the girl’s shoulders. Her height gives away she is only a few years older than Empress Maria, but her expression reminds you of something more.

Is her hair too short to reach her shoulders, or is it just below them? The wording there is confusing. Also, height isn't indicative of one's age, so determining that she's slightly older than the Empress based on her height isn't entirely logical or realistic? Then again, the Empress is a child, so I see how this could make some sense? But people of all ages come in all sizes, so I'd suggest fixing this.
And “her expression reminds you of something more”-- This is weird, saying that it “reminds” you, unless the next few sentences clarify some reason that you'd recognize this person. Paired with the previous mention of her height/age, it feels out of place to say “reminds”. Perhaps you meant something along the lines of--

I can't come up with an example, dang, but I'm thinking you might have meant for it to play out like “She looks young, based on her height, but her expression indicates much more/she's older” or something like that? I can't think of the right word to replace “reminds” with in this case, at the moment, but yeah--

If I interpreted that wrong, then I apologize, and you can disregard the previous paragraph-- whoops, lel

Scars and bloody, open gashes line almost every inch of her body, and the blood makes you feel faint. One large string of hair sits in the middle of her face, a white streak through the middle.

If she's covered almost entirely in gashes and scars, then I'm not sure there would be much room left to describe her as pale? But this feels nit-picky, too.
The hair thing confuses me because I think of “one string of hair” as a single, individual hair, but that wouldn't be thick enough to see or have a streak of white through it. Maybe some clarification here? Or a rewording?

But what surprises you are her eyes.
The one on your right is gray, and the one on your left is purple.

And then this-- I think it would be more natural to describe the eyes as they're attached to her (her left eye is gray, her right eye is purple), as opposed to doing it the way you did above. It may flow better and it makes the character feel closer to the scene, whereas the current description makes her feel like an outside force, or an object?
I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I hope it does.

Pure terror washes over you, and your face pales into a shade of alabaster.

Nice use of 'alabaster', I like it.

She may act like one-No, don't think that.

This formatting was a bit confusing-- I was reading “one-No” as a word before I realized what you meant. Maybe put a space between the dash and “No”, or even drop “No, don't think that” to a new line? Not sure which would work best, but those are some ideas if you decide to touch this up.

She pulls out a manilla parchment with the royal blue seal and raises it high above her head. Your signature sits on the bottom of hers. 

MANILLA? SELF-INSERTION?? Kidding-- I think it would be better to say “a manilla slip of parchment” or some other indication of the size? (Scroll, perhaps?) “A parchment” just sounds odd.
Also, “Your signature sits on the bottom of hers” gives me that image of the two signatures overlapping slightly? You might want to go with “beneath hers” or something similar.
It's pretty silly clarification, but it makes the reading, and the reader's comprehension, flow more smoothly.

You then meet the gaze of the girl in the cage, whose eyes begin to laugh at you with a certain insanity you cannot describe. 

Ohh, she's in a caage. That explains the bar her hand held earlier. It wasn't quite clear that she was in a cage; I thought she was just shackled, so the bar mention confused me. Maybe you could clear that up earlier? When she's first brought in?

"Yes, Your Majesty." The words fall out of you like a dying breath, your last wish, and they're certainly your last hopes.

I'm not sure if you add the “last wish” and “last hopes” parts as a sort of description of how she speaks these words, or if they're really a last wish/last hope. The latter doesn't really make sense to me, though, because she's agreeing with the Empress, whereas her wish/hope would probably be to escape, in this moment at least.
I'm not sure if I looked into that too much or whaaat, but yeah--

It takes you all your willpower not to race out to collect them.

The “you” here is a bit redundant. “It takes all your willpower” is clear enough, so you could omit the “you” if you'd like.


And that's grammar done!

Few notes on the general content of this part-- The flow was nice, and we got some imagery back (given the relative lack of it in the previous chapter). We still haven't reached the amazing descriptive levels of the first part, but that was more setting the scene, while here we're still in the ballroom and more plot stuff is happening, so I guess I'll stop talking about imagery for the rest of this story, lel.
Our character's tussle between trusting the Empress (whether out of general fear or actually wanting to believe she's good) is handled nicely, although playing into it a bit more might be good as well.
The introduction of the witch was written well, despite the confusion on her cage (though that could have just been me missing something), and I'm interested to see how she bends our character's thoughts on the Empress.

Overall, this was a decent chapter, and while it didn't progress the plot a ton, it did lay the foundation for, I hope, our character eventually turning against the Empress? It felt to be a more character-based chapter, basically.


Anyway, I hope this review was helpful, and I plan to get to part 4 within the next couple of days!
Keep up the great work!

- Hatt




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 5523
Reviews: 51

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 pm
Nobunaga wrote a review...



Ah! Are we dead?!

I was not expecting this to be a story with witches! It does make sense though. I imagine, if the Empress truly is a witch, that's how she's gotten so much power at such a young age. It's also probably how she got our signature without us knowing - unless that was something else entirely.

I'm thinking that this new girl is the Empress' sister? Rival? I don't know but it's so freaking cool! Since she and the Empress are close in age, I'm leaning towards sister. But I don't know yet. I guess I'll just have to read and see :P

I also like that there's more description here. I particularly loved that scene where the girl in chains was introduced. I'm so happy that you appealed more to the senses. Like I said in chapter two, it's especially effective paired with the second-person pov. Really good job there, Mani.

Okay, on to the actual review. Like previous times, I don't have much to critique here. Your opening sentence did through me for a loop though. I'm not quite sure what you meant when you said "marching out a pair of mahogany double doors". Like, are they doors connected to nothing? Did they just bring out some doors for dramatics? I don't understand, really.

And that's all I have! You're doing a great job at keeping me invested in this story. Your pacing is great, and I love the Empress - even though she's evil and probably a witch. I can't wait to see where we go from here.




manilla says...


ayyy thanks



manilla says...


And let me spoil this - You're not quite dead yet.



Nobunaga says...


We better not be! lol



manilla says...


haha you'll see.



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 424
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:41 pm
MaxWagner wrote a review...



I've not read the previous chapters, but I'm planning to find them immediately after responding to this. If I'm making redundant statements, please excuse me.

Natadova seems to be in a quandary? She doesn't want the raven haired girl under her care, but she doesn't want to offend the Empress, but she doesn't really like the Empress, but she doesn't want raven hair to kill her? That was a fair bit of back and forth there, her emotions toying with her almost. I like the details you've put into the Empress. She reminds me of the Queen of the Night from The Magic Flute.

This doesn't look like a story I personally would pull off the library shelves to read, but that's merely because it's not my preferred genre. That having been said, I do think you've got something going here. Nice work. :)




manilla says...


Thank you for your review :)




I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec