Home » Literary works » Short Story » Lyrical

12+

God's Only Innocent Children

by liehart

All we do now is sit around campfires.

We lean in so the heat hits our faces. The smoke makes our eyes water. Look into the orange roll and curl and the hum, the soft roar, the crackle and pretend it’s not hurting anyone. We look to the light so we cannot see the night behind us. We don’t know what’s creeping up until it’s too late.

And the children? All gone. Would you take a new-born child, so small in your arms, God’s only innocent children, and plunge them into the void? The ones left behind in the hallway, who already knew they had waited too long, they are gone too. Become caught in limbo between young and old and alive and dead.

I notice, with him, something has been lost along the way. The look in his eyes feels like home. He’s alone in a world of pretty empty faces.

Thisisnotsomethinganyonewouldwishforthisisnotwhatyouwantthisisnotwhatiwant

There’s a frequency, a glow, a hum, and it starts to melt the brain. It’s been going for long enough, genuine souls are scarce. I was lucky to

youshouldleavemeheretorotidonotwantthisnooonewantsthisididntresistionlyfailedfind him.

Why do I call myself lucky? It’s all I believe in. There is nothing more to it, and everyone knows by now but no one will say it. Just pretty faces, moving towards one constant. One for men and one for women.

idontknowwhattobelieveicannotbelievebeauseitfeelasthoughiamholdingontotheedgeoftheuniverse

And there is nothing left in you. Does anyone notice? Can anyone see anything? Can they? What happened to him?

iseeeverythingiseetheworldbeingbornanddieiseemyowndeathcomingandicannotseeanythingelse

Where did all these questions come from?

I am not to ask questions. I am here to keep myself going. A walking paradox. I am here to protect. I am not a real human being. 

Radrook says...

Thanks for the poem. I liked the rhythm and the way it is spaced. It also expresses some very profound truths. I think that one man summed it up by saying that "Religion is the opium of the people?" Looking into the light in order ameliorate the surrounding darkness from which anything can emerge and suddenly terminate us? Unfortunately this is the present condition of mankind. Biblically it is described as an anomaly that is only being permitted temporarily and will be eventually removed. But in the meantime it is indeed something that is morally repugnant.

Suggestion
The only part of the poem that I found distracting was the bunching up of letters. I guess I should have increased the screen magnification in order to be able to see them better. But the question is why bunch the words up in the first place?

liehart says...

I bunched them up to depict panicked rambling but if it doesn't look good, as it doesn't seem like it does, I'll not continue. Thank you!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 am
KingQueenKnave says...

I am unsure. What is the point of this poem? All I got was a diatrabe on guilt and suffering.

liehart says...

That%u2019s fair.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:51 am
LadyOkra wrote a review...

Perhaps, I'm wrong, but the first part of this short piece made me think of how we turn our backs to all that is wrong. We know when something is wrong, but we haven't the courage to say that it is wrong. And perhaps being unable to fight for all that is right has caused life to be meaningless. But that doesn't stop us from plunging ourselves into this "void" called life.

I particularly enjoyed:

Become caught in limbo between young and old and alive and dead.

The second part feels like the musings of a person who is far beyond this world. What I imagine, is that the narrator feels that he/she is no more than a speck in this universe. Death is imminent. There is no way to stop it, and perhaps that is why the narrator feels that there is nothing left in him/her or in the universe to hold on to. It feels as though the narrator has lost all hope in humanity and his/her own existence. He/she feels himself/herself to be an empty shell that just keeps on going. The "he" in whose eyes he/she found home in has long left him/her due to his/her incapability to deal with his/her own "emptiness" and that has broken the narrator to the point that he/she feels no longer human.

I was lucky to

Lucky to what? Or perhaps is it a complete sentence? It kept me thinking for a while. :p

ionlyfailedfind him.

ionlyfailedtofindhim. Is this what you meant?

Thank you for the fabulous read! If I have misinterpreted you in any way or perhaps stretched things too far, I apologize.

Keep writing.

Cheers!

liehart says...

I really like your interpretation! Thank you for pointing out the typos also!

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:08 am
CorruptedArrow wrote a review...

Hey CorruptedArrow her with a review!
I'm not sure where you went with this but I'll give my best go at it!

"The smoke makes our eyes water. Look into the orange roll and curl and the hum, the soft roar, the crackle and pretend it’s not hurting anyone." Let's have some fun with this. The commas are in a good place. When you say the "the soft roar" i'm thinking of a lion, I'm not sure if that's what you want people to think of.

"All gone. Would you take a new-born child, so small in your arms, God’s only innocent children, and plunge them into the void? The ones left behind in the hallway, who already knew they had waited too long, they are gone too." What's with the commas. hare shouldn't be a coma after child and long.

After that, my work is done. you have no more typos or too many commas. Keep up the writing.

liehart says...

Thank you! I like that you saw the lion imagery

"When a body moves, it's the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I'll tell you who you are."
— Mikhail Baryshnikov