z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

but the fire underneath of things

by Rook


continues to burn,
yet we are the ghosts caught
behind a window's reflection:
we spiral through.

your main mode of transportation
is backpedaling.
all the way back
to your New Hampshire home.

but I know you have California in your blood
by the way you shiver even in the sun.
have you ever really felt the snow
cling to your arm hair and melt?

you shrug it off like a too-hot coat
and melt your skin in front of the fires
of the 6 o'clock news.

to you, I am the reflection of a reflected night,
hardly even visible unless you squint.

your mouth droops open,
and I fill it with yesterday's casserole
and last month's rainwater,
because here it just moulders in the gutter
and seems like such a waste.

I guess I can relate.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
488 Reviews


Points: 3941
Reviews: 488

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah wrote a review...



Fort! Ok, so slightly rushed, since I'm running out the door soon, but:

The first two lines of your third stanza. So. Good. I want to eat them. I also rather like the last two of the following stanza, too.

Actually, I just really like most of this. You have some pointedly scathing bits, and they're sneaky scathing, which I like even more. I mean, your last full stanza? Yes.

Actually, the only thing I don't like is how your title flows directly into the poem, and it still seems to be coming in at the tail end of a thought, rather than a new thought of it's own. But, that's because you start on "but" (and I enjoy the irony too much to change this sentence :P) and removing that changes (my) perception entirely.

I could pick at how you've punctuated, but you don't really need it. Like, your second stanza I'd want a different kind of separation with the last two lines - I love the finality of ending the line above with a period, but the next two lines are more of an aside, so going directly into them feels a bit funny. Personally, I would use parentheticals, because that's how it feels to me. But, again, there's nothing wrong, it just feels off.

I'm not sure your 5th stanza is purposeful enough to warrant keeping.

Last line = love.

Ok, enough gushing. I like it, Fort!




User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:48 am
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Fortis! Casanova here to do a review!

I was taking a break from poetry reviewing for the rest of the night, but then I came across this and thought,"Why not?" So here goes!

The first thing I noticed was the first stanza-

continues to burn,
yet we are the ghosts caught
behind a window's reflection:
we spiral through.


You say,"continues to burn." What is continuing to burn? I want the answer to that question. This and the ending, together at least, don't make sense to me. It is an interesting start to the poem though, I will give you props for that. Anyway, on to the next thing!

your main mode of transportation
is backpedaling.
all the way back
to your New Hampshire home.


I like these lines. Backpeddling isn't really a method of transportation, but I like these lines nonetheless. I know what it's like to know people who keep going back to the same things over and over again, so this is much appreciated.

you shrug it off like a too-hot coat
and melt your skin in front of the fires
of the 6 o'clock news.


What does he shrug off? Also, I didn't particularly like these lines because the imagery here doesn't fit. In the previous lines you talk about the person shivering in the sun, then here it's a,"too hot," coat, so that didn't make sense to me. The other thing that didn't make a lot of sense was if the coat was too hot, why would they be in front of a fire to begin with? This just doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me.

your mouth droops open,
and I fill it with yesterday's casserole
and last month's rainwater,
because here it just moulders in the gutter
and seems like such a waste.

I guess I can relate.


The last lines seem to fit, but also came across to just rhyme? I don't know if the rhyme was intentional, but it felt odd considering the rest of the poem didn't rhyme.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about this one. I hope this helped, even a little bit.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron.




Rook says...


Most of what you were confused about is just poetic devices. The part about the too-hot coat turning into melting skin is juxtaposition and irony smoogled together. The backpedaling is kind of a pun that I'm really proud of lol.
I didn't even realize the last two lines had assonance! The narrator is saying they relate to feeling like such a waste.

The first line continues off the title.

The person shrugs off both the melted snow and the question of whether they have felt it or not, as well as just shrugging life off in general.

Thanks for the review



Casanova says...


The backpeddling part was my favourite part of the poem, and thanks for the clarity :)



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:50 am
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

continues to burn,
or we are like ghosts caught
behind a window's reflection.


This was an interesting way to start the poem, and I don't exactly know if this was a stylistic choice or not of you starting with the line with "continues" and without capitalization (Well, I figure it was on purpose.), but I did enjoy it. One of the complaints that I have with it is that we don't exactly know what you're talking about, but that may be something you chose to do. I like the image that you give us after the first line, it's strong and in a way that I haven't thought about faces in windows, but the wording is a little awkward.

Your main mode of transportation
is backpedaling,
all the way back to your New Hampshire home.


I thought that this was an interesting image of someone only going backwards, and one of the more clever parts of the poem. I didn't really see the relations between this and the start of the poem other than the window being a car window, which would make sense but isn't quite specified.

but I know that's not really true
by the way you shiver even in the sun.
have you ever really felt the snow melt
on your arm hairs?


The "b" should be capitalized in the first line if you're trying to keep this consistent? I think it would be good to stick with one, either punctuation or none. I think that this poem would have more of an impact without punctuation, but I think other than the start of the poem you should stick with one or the other to keep from confusing the reader.

Moving on from that, the odd images that you create here do a bit at messing with my senses. The one thing that I do have to say about them is that the "even" in the second line and perhaps the "really" in the third don't particularly need to be there and only take up extra space. The contrast between the two images here works, but the power behind the lines could be something stronger.

you shrug it off like a too-hot coat
and melt your skin in front of the fires
of the 6 o'clock news.
I am like the ticking of yet another grandfather clock.


I didn't particularly like these lines, mostly because of the messy flow of them and then the images that don't really do good at fitting each other. That's one of the things that I kind of wanted to bring up is that this feels broken up into fragments that move onto something else and don't do the best job at transitioning. The images would be able to work if you did a bit of reworking with them. The "too-hot" description of the coat and "in front of the fires" could be cut or made into something else. I didn't quite get the part about the news? I was thinking that maybe it was supposed to symbolize anger or tension or maybe even forest fires that were being reported, but I wasn't quite sure. Some clarity on that would be nice.

your mouth droops open,
and I fill it with yesterday's casserole
and last month's rainwater,
because here it just moulders in the gutter
and seems like such a waste.
I guess I can relate.


Oh man. This last part of the poem killed it for me and I think that with proper execution this could definitely be salvaged. The lack of punctuation in this poem in some places could be fixed and I wanted to bring this up here since I actually thought the use here was stronger.

Onto the images that you imbue here. They're strong and originally when I read through it I didn't exactly feel them but using the casserole and the rainwater to symbolize being or feeling like a waste gave a strong melancholic tone to the piece. The last line takes it home and sends the idea through one last time. Loosely I felt the poem connected but it definitely felt broken into pieces and I would love to see it more strongly connected. The beginning and ending here were pretty A++ and I can appreciate them for being relatable and down-to-earth.

I hope I helped and have a great day!




Rook says...


The first line is supposed to continue the sentence the title started. hard to see that sometimes with all the info stuff in the way. I def want to be more consistent witth my capitalization and formatting, but mobiles, you know?
And yeah, a little more connection between things wouldn't hurt, but I don't like spelling things out with no room for personal interpretation. I'd rather things be too loose than too tight, but I think this stand to be tightened a bit :)
thanks for the review!




Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko