z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Fire Underneath of Things - 10

by Rook


~1005 words

Grey

As Ivy had gone off into a back room, Grey had time to look around her shop. He had never been in her shop before; he’d never had reason to. Flowers could hardly be used in the workshop. Though, Grey admitted to himself, I probably should read the paper roses more often. Grey could see that Ivy had tended to her plants with a loving hand, and there were even a few pre-made flower arrangements. They were beautiful. Grey felt another wave of guilt sweep over him thinking about how beautiful the mind must be that could arrange flowers into such beautiful bouquets, and how he had caused that mind quite a jolt and a bump. Not only that, but this was obviously Ivy’s safe space, and he had just barged right in, yelling, without regard for the peacefulness of the place at night.

Grey didn’t realize he’d been staring at the floor until a black cat with yellow eyes sat down right in front of him. He had the eerie feeling that the cat could read his thoughts. Or maybe it was protective of Ivy. In any case, Grey interpreted the cat’s gaze as accusatory and searching. Pulled out of his thoughts he could feel Ivy’s presence in the room as well. “Is this your cat?” He asked, not taking his eyes off the animal.

“I guess. He’s kind of new. Name’s Ghost.”

“He has a very… intense stare.” The longer the cat looked at him, the more unnerved Grey became.

“How did you know where I live anyway? And how’d you get in?” questioned Ivy.

Grey finally met her eyes, and they were filled with distrust and suspicion. Dread sunk to the bottom of Grey’s stomach. room He couldn’t tell her that he’d followed her home one night, curious to see where she lived, he just couldn’t. His eyes fell on Ghost again, and again, he had the feeling that the cat could read his thoughts. As if he’d find an excuse there, he looked off into a corner. But no, he didn’t need an excuse. There was a perfectly reasonable explanation for why he would know where she lived.

“I heard Nikki mention a flower shop. Only one of those in town,” he said. “And the door was unlocked.” At least he hadn’t broken into her shop. That would take some real explaining. Ivy looked about to ask a question, and he hurried to answer the question he wanted her to ask next. “As for what I’m doing here, I came to see why you weren’t at the workshop. You could’ve been attacked or something on the way there. You said you’d be there.” He looked back at Ivy, a realization dawning. “Youwerecoming, right?”

Now it was Ivy’s turn to look away in guilt. “I really didn’t want to come without Nikki.”

“You knew she wouldn’t be there, but on Tuesday you said you were coming!”

“I… I changed my mind,” she said, suddenly defiant. “Aren’t I allowed to do that?”

“I guess,” said Grey, dissatisfied. They stood there a moment in awkward silence before he spoke again. “So, why didn’t you want to come without Nikki? You know the way to the workshop now, you have-“

“I just don’t know if I want to go without Nikki,” she interrupted. “I only go to the society to spend some more time with her. I don’t get to see her all the time. I don’t go to the workshop for the society, I go there for my friend.”

Grey felt as if his heart had been ripped out. He looked at Ivy in minor disbelief before he could feel a storm begin to creep over his face. He turned away from Ivy so she wouldn’t see how strong of a reaction her words had had on him. “Oh. I see,” he choked out in a voice that sounded unfamiliar to even his own ears. “I guess I’ll just go then.”

“Wait! I didn’t mean it like that!” Ivy protested. “Of course you’re my friend too… It’s just… I hardly know you!”

“You don’t trust me?” He was still turned away. He felt his eyes grow hot with tears. Even though they had only spent two days together so far, Grey considered Ivy and Nikki among his closest friends. Cooped up with Alder all day, Grey didn’t have many friends his age. But he understood now. Ivy had plenty of friends. She didn’t need a loser like Grey. She didn’t go to the workshop for him. She didn’t even go for the society. She just considered it a joke.

“I… I just don’t know you! How am I supposed to trust you when we’ve only known each other for a few days?” Ivy’s voice sounded pleading.

Grey turned around, not caring if Ivy saw his reddened eyes. “I don’t know. But I trust you.” There. He had said it. The words hung heavy in the air for what felt like forever.

“Why?” Ivy whispered.

Grey had no answer to this. Or rather, he had too many answers, but they were all jumbled together in his head. I could just feel it when we first met. No that wasn’t right. You’re just that kinda girl. No. I’ve been so lonely for so long. While that was true, he could never say that out loud. The silence stretched out even longer. In the end, Grey just shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe you would be able to trust me if we got to know each other better?” he suggested. “Maybe spend more time working in the workshop together? What do you say, will you come work with me tonight?” In a pique of frivolity, Grey bowed low with a sweeping gesture, the kind of bow his parents had taught him to use in front of royalty.

Ivy looked flustered at this grand gesture. “I s-suppose,” she stammered.

Grey smiled and offered his arm. Ivy took it. Where her hand rested, warmth began to blossom. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Alright, last one tonight!

Nit-picks and nice moments:

Dread sunk to the bottom of Grey’s stomach. room He couldn’t tell her that he’d followed her home one night

random "room"

“Youwerecoming, right?”

Missed spaces

He looked at Ivy in minor disbelief

"minor" doesn't really fit with feeling like you've had your heart ripped out.

the kind of bow his parents had taught him to use in front of royalty.

I appreciate this nod to this backstory ^.^

Overall:

I made a note of this while I was going through but I think it's too content-related to be a nit-pick. I think Grey should have felt more guilt about lying to someone he considers his friend (as in about how he found out where she lived). He mentions shame at having followed her, but I think it should have piled on there.

Thiiiis is escalating quickly. I think it's working though. It's clear that the characters don't really understand what's going on, so it feels like it's quick for them too. I'm really intrigued to see Ivy's next chapter to see how she felt about agreeing to go with Grey. Was it reluctant to make him feel better? Well, I mean, probably from what she said. But maybe she was just also confused about her feelings. One thing's for sure, you're doing a great job of showing how difficult it is to understand someone else's feelings.

On a structural note, I think the back-writing (is that what it's called) works okay. I would hope you don't do too much of this (as in when you re-write a bit of the chapter from someone else's POV) as it can slow down the plot quite dramatically and even become a bit on the nose, but it's an interesting thing to do. And as I've said before, interesting structure is engaging and conducive to ooooh noises.

I'll probably be along for a review or two tomorrow but that's it for tonight,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 pm
Dossereana wrote a review...



“Is this your cat?” He asked, not taking his eyes off the animal.“I guess. He’s kind of new. Name’s Ghost.” this bit was in the other chapter so I think that you nee to take that out,“I heard Nikki mention a flower shop. I herd this in the other chapter as well I think that you nee to take that out as well, You could’ve been attacked or something on the way there. You said you’d be there.” He looked back at Ivy, this was all so in the other chapter I think that you owt to take it out, “I… I changed my mind,” she said, suddenly defiant. “Aren’t I allowed to do that?” a gen the fill stops is in the wrong plase, you have-“ that is were you put in the fill stops, “Of course you’re my friend too… It’s just… I hardly know you!” the fill stops are in the wrong plase a gen! and that is all :) MoonFlower.




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



B-b-b-b-back~

Not only that, but this was obviously Ivy’s safe space, and he had just barged right in, yelling, without regard for the peacefulness of the place at night.


UH YEAH, why were you not thinking?! For someone who focuses and needs to think so much about details when making and tending to machines, you seem to be pretty impulsive, stealing chicken and barging into Ivy's store. The fact that it seems to happen when you want to impress Ivy makes me even more scared, because if you can't control yourself around Ivy you're only bound to hurt her MORE, GREY, GOSH!

:( No, you followed her, too? Grosss, don't you have anything better to do!?

Ermmm, I don't buy that Grey would feel like his heart was ripped out. He never had any concrete sign from Ivy that she was also interested, and he hasn't even known her for that long. I buy that he'd be hurt, but not THAT hurt. I understand the way that you can grow quickly attached to new friends when you don't have them -- boy, do I understand first hand, but still I feel like it wouldn't be disappointing to QUITE that level.

Haha, as you miiiight be able to tell, I am not enjoying this romance!!!!!!!!! Haha, but I do really enjoy that last line. That's a gorgeous last line. Even though I don't buyyyyyy it. Maybe if, as I mentioned in an earlier review, we had more time to get to know these characters over longer, slower chapters, I would buy it and enjoy it, but I feel so RUSHED into it!

Anyway, I'll sit 'n' wait for the next bit! :D Thanks so much again for posting more~

Hannah




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:25 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Okay, so the first thing I wanted to say about this chapter is: I have read several things where the author reiterated a scene or part of a scene from the perspective of multiple characters, and this is by far one of the best ones.

I mean, to be fair, two of those things were a bit of Grey (Fifty Shades from Christian Grey's POV, but don't read it unless you want to be scarred by how much more awful he is when you're in his perspective) and - oh, wait, the other one wasn't exactly like this. The other one was the "genderbent" Twilight (well, the first page or two), only she just rewrote exactly Twilight and changed the pronouns and names. So that's not the same thing, my bad. My point here was, those two particular things are crappy to begin with, so not much competition, I guess.

But! Even factoring that in. Normally, especially having read the other chapter so recently, I would be like, "Ugh, really, I literally just read this exact same conversation." Usually there's very little new information, so it can be really annoying, especially if the dialogue is super mundane.

But in this case, it didn't feel like that at all. I think part of what helped is that you had so much narration between each line of dialogue that it didn't just sound like a repeat of the conversation last chapter, even though it partially was. Also, and this is even bigger, you let us see so much of Grey's thoughts that there was actually quite a lot of new information - not just a repeated conversation, but this character's take on the conversation. Which is, in my opinion, what the point of this sort of scene should be.

(If you ever read The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, she also does this really well.)

Also, since I remember being confused at the start of the last chapter by whose perspective we were in, I wanted to say that this one was much better. I knew right from the start that we were in Grey's head now.

I really appreciated this about him.

Grey felt another wave of guilt sweep over him thinking about how beautiful the mind must be that could arrange flowers into such beautiful bouquets, and how he had caused that mind quite a jolt and a bump. Not only that, but this was obviously Ivy’s safe space, and he had just barged right in, yelling, without regard for the peacefulness of the place at night.


Like, yes, he came by without warning and barely knowing Ivy, but he realized he had not only intruded in a physical sense but also intruded on what is a safe space for her. Although I had to question this.

At least he hadn’t broken into her shop. That would take some real explaining.


Like, would he have done this?

Also, he came on really strong when he was like, "You don't trust me???" and he "felt as if his heart had been ripped out" because a girl he's known two days didn't want to come to some sort of club thing without the friend who introduced her to the whole affair. His thoughts came across a bit that way too, but we all sometimes have thoughts that would probably make us seem crazy or clingy or whatever to someone we've just met, so I can forgive that. I mean, that seemed more reasonable to me than the things he said out loud, I guess. Which isn't to say you need to cut out those things, I just wanted to mention it. I'm hoping he'll realize at some point that maybe he needs to dial it back a little, you know?




Rook says...


Thanks for the review! on the breaking-In thing, Grey is becoming a kleptomaniac in his spare time lol



BluesClues says...


"becoming a kleptomaniac in his spare time" omg



Rook says...


not even kidding! Ivy's subplot is the cat and Grey's is breaking into places and stealing stuff for the fun of it haha



BluesClues says...


Omg I'm so excited to read more of this.




"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi