Letters to Unknown Beings Beyond the Void

by chhlovebooks

I am sorry it has been so long, dearest, but it is so very hard to make these words unreal enough to reach your ears- though I suppose you don't quite know that form of trouble. For all that poets like to think otherwise, words are uniquely tangible things, solid knots of meaning and syntax. They wouldn't have so many rules if it were otherwise. As such, they are in many ways inadequate in their attempts to describe the ephemeral when they themselves are concrete. But no matter- I shall try to explain my experiences to you regardless.

Do you appreciate my efforts, dearest? I like to think you do. It is quite impossible to know the turnings of your vast mind in its entirety, but I know all too well of your love for me. As contradictory and strange as it may be, yes. You love me. And it is for this reason that I am safe in my knowledge that you shall forgive me.

What happened to me was… incredible, I suppose, in a way that was entirely ordinary. It could have happened to anyone, but instead it happened to me- but I suppose many things are like that. Births, deaths. Falling in love with beings deeper and more true than the sea. It is of little importance. You see, on April twelfth- what to you would be but three days prior- I met someone.

Shall I call him Gabriel, dearest? For his hair was brass bright and his eyes were bluer than the sky, almost glowing in their intensity. Or perhaps Cupidon, for his perfect rosebud lips and his sharp teeth like thorns. I could call him Orpheus, for he hummed constantly- it would make you laugh so, to hear him! But no, that would not be fair- you are so much more talented than he. To be brief, let us call him Ezekiel and leave it at that.

We met at work actually, the pair of us assigned to work together to make a test RPG for the next big release. Me, to make things. Him, to make them real. It's almost funny, how easily he stood among his co-workers as the manager made introductions. Not one of them could see how poorly his humanity fit him, how he wore his skin like an ill-fitting suit. You and I have better taste, of course, but he looked so silly that at the time I couldn't help but smile.

I showed him my notes soon after, all several hundred pages of them- the drawings, the spires, the spirals. All of it, even the places where the letters shivered on the page, so unwilling to remain linear. And despite their contradictions, Ezekiel just smiled at me and told me yes, he could do it. Never mind how it was far too much to code for in three days, how it was eerie and strange, filled with errors. Just yes.

I think I loved him, in that brief moment of ephemera.. I'm not ashamed to admit it, for all that I can feel your disapproval from here. He was handsome, even you must admit that, and besides- I said “loved,” didn't I? Past tense.

We got along well enough, this shining boy and I. Despite the fact that circumstances had drawn us together, our talents just meshed. I gave him descriptions, names and faces and nightmares, and he put them down into strings of numbers and lines of artfully arranged code. And that was what it was- art.

I generally don't trust words on principle, but I built him palaces nonetheless. Towers of punctuation and paragraphs, solid things that would last forever. Words do that, you know- last forever. So much longer than the paper they are written on or the bodies that speak them. Every word ever created, from the Latin prefixes to the French verbs, has the potential to live for centuries. And really, who can trust something so old, that has had so many years to learn secrets?

Perhaps that was part of why I liked Ezekiel so- he was so new, so fresh and young. Inexperienced. Open, in ways that you are not and never could be. I don't hold it against you, dearest, I know you would share it all with me if you could. It is not your fault my head would crack like an egg as soon as you raised your voice above the barest of whispers. But still, it was… nice, not to have to worry about constant communication issues.

(Speaking of, dearest, could you please take back that ceremonial dagger you left on the counter for me? It is very sharp and a lovely color but not exactly easy to chop vegetables with.)

Ezekiel gave me gifts too, actually. I created fantastical armies for him and he wrote them into existence- then used them to slaughter enemies in my name. Never mind that the blood was pixelated or that the swords weren't longer than toothpicks- he commited genocide of an entire alien race. All for me.

Then smiled and asked if I liked it.

I won't bore you with my response. Of course I liked it- the bloodshed was beautiful, practically unholy. But I was quite happily taken at the time, and there are some things you just don't do with someone who hasn't sworn an oath or two to you yet . Or at least, not in public.

The project ended not long after that. I convinced him that we were better off drifting apart, and although the company didn't care for his new scars, I think he took it rather well. I haven't forgotten him, in any rate, and I suppose that means something. As much as anything can mean anything these days.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:20 am
paperforest wrote a review...

Hey there! This is really neat. Lovecraftian eldritch beings, game designers, and forbidden(?) love. Very cool. It's got a nice flow, with good sentence length/construction variation and a distinct voice/style, what with it being a letter to a mysterious eldritch creature. I found the words in bold a bit disconcerting though, because although they definitely give off a stranger vibe than italics, I didn't find the emphasis really necessary for the words it was used on (and I couldn't think of any way to emphasize it in my head other than how italics emphasize words), so I kept looking back and forth at the four bolded words, trying to see if there was some connection between them, some reason why they were bolded but others weren't. I couldn't see any connection, and it pulled me out of the story. If you were to keep it, I'd maybe recommend bolding some other words with similar emphasis, to make it more obvious that this is just the way the narrator talks/writes, and not some hidden message. Or make it a hidden message, because that would also be neat, and keeping in line with the mysteriousness of the letter.

And that reminds me - it all fits together like one letter, not a bunch of separate letters, so I'm not sure why the title has "letters" plural. Another little thing that might just be me, but the whole what name to call Ezekiel felt a bit unnecessary, (it's a cool idea, I'm just not sure if it added much to the story) and I don't know the story behind Ezekiel offhand, so it pulled me out of the story because I then wanted to look up the biblical Ezekiel to understand the reference, instead of continuing reading this story.

I'm also feeling a bit unsatisfied at the end, and I think that might have to do with the fact that nothing came of the semiromance with Ezekiel, and not a lot actually happened in the story. The moment when we expect to have some sort of conflict - the moment when the writer (presumably?) rejects Ezekiel and gives him "his new scars" - we don't even get to see, or know what actually happened. I know it's Lovecraftian and supposed to be all mysterious and you can guess what happened, but there's been all this hinting and foreshadowing that something dramatic is going to happen, and then we don't even see it. After all, isn't that why the narrator is writing this letter in the first place, to confess about whatever they did? (that reminds me: why has it been so long, as said at the start of the letter? I'm assuming the narator and the addressee of the letter are together, and haven't broken up - although that might make more sense if the letter is sort of an apology to explain the narrator's point of view on the subject.)

My last nitpick is related to the foreshadowing - Ezekiel is described in such a way that I suspected (but wasn't completely sure) that he wasn't human, and instead was some kind of eldritch creature similar to the addressee of the letter. This is hinted in such a way that I read it as foreshadowing, and thought it would be certain to be important later in the story, but instead nothing really happens with it. He never does anything obviously inhuman, revealing hiself to the world and affecting the story in some way - why, he doesn't even lose his job at the end! (I don't know why, I thought that was going to happen for some reason...)

Anyways, I love the tone and style of this story, it's creepy in a definitely Lovecraftian way, but is actually way more interesting to read than Lovecraft because there was all this backstory to figure out with the letter writer and the addressee and Ezekiel and the game. At times it felt like there was more to infer than to actually read, but overall this was a really fun story to read and review! I hope I've said something helpful, and I'd love to read more from you!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:04 am
4revgreen wrote a review...

This story flowed very well, your choice of language and how you weaved it all together was very professional and I felt as though I were reading something from an actual book!
I particularly liked the emphasis on the letters in bold.
I would have perhaps liked some background information on the narrator, some more context maybe? But otherwise it was fantastic!

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li