A Tomb of Light and Music

by chhlovebooks

ACT I.

The setting is a small apartment in the city, the hustle and bustle outside (isn't it always so noisy?), and a man with his thoughts, watching it all like a well-loved ring-master gazing out over his circus (my domain, he thinks). He is slight in stature, and beautifully thin in the way only birds have mastered, and framed like a painting by the window of the second story. The backdrop is the man's living room (aptly named), looking just as familiar and lived in as one might imagine (it is lived in, he can not leave). Sun filters into the scene like a spotlight, casting a glow over the man and his room and the people below, dashing about like ants. It is late afternoon.

The man twines his fingers through the curtains and the golden light between them, reaching through the fabric to touch the shining beams. Slowly he curls his fingers around the glow, and like a maestro readying his orchestra, he begins. Hands lifted, arms outstretched, head up and expression blissful, he slides into motion like a well-oiled clock. Steady and precise, a gentle wave of an out-stretched finger and the show starts (let us begin).

The man dances, and reality as the world knows it shatters in his wake. Light bends and twists to follow his movements, spins and wraps itself into spirals of brilliance and noise and music. Every wave of a hand beckons a radiant beam forth to change and shift at his command, and with every motion, music blossoms forth into being. Cellos and flutes rise to his call as the living room (my stage) fills with a golden glow, violas singing out as if by magic (of course it is magic, this is my gift, my curse) in tune with his gestures.The glow slips between his fingers like silk, steady and comforting in the way only afternoon sun can be. Somehow, though, it remains as strange and magical as the light of the moon. Sound crescendos as the man twirls and glides to the beat of time itself, every beam of light resounding across the living room like a thousand violins. The curtains, unable to take the strain, blow back against the weight of light and noise and eternal afternoon glow.

What a show it would be, if people were to gaze up at the window just then. To look up, just for a moment to see what shines so brightly from the dull little apartment. Alas, though, they are too caught up in their little lives to do so (why can't I be like them, hush, the magic demands it so). Running helter-skelter from one place to the next, their eyes never glance up to the man in his dance of light. And the man? What of him? No cares to be found, except maybe a small one or two he shoves down into the depth of his being. No one sees, no one cares, not even he. His show, his gift, his dance of light and sound in the noon sun, so what if there is no one to share it with? So what if his audience is none but himself? A graceful whirl pulls the glowing beams together into the very center of the sitting room as the man steps back from the window. (Away from their foolishly blind, unseeing gaze), his thoughts whisper, (hush), he thinks. Another motion and they twine around him, brushing up against his face and hands, eager for his direction. (A hurricane of light, of life that you shall never have), then (quiet, I live well enough!).

"Faster", the man tries not to cry out too loudly, "Faster!" (pay attention to me). And so the light whirls (like your thoughts,QUIET, trying to drown out the loneliness, SILENCE!) dancing around and around the man in ever smaller circles, music rushing up like a tidal wave thundering in the man's ears, (Why so alone? Alone Alone ALONE) louder, drowning him in the blaze, faster, glowing so brightly, blinding in noise and not so much music now as screaming (in loneliness? Pain?) louder, even faster (why did I ever ask for this? When will someone see? So very, very alone) louder, faster, blinding, brighter, faster, louder!

And then silence. The man collapses from his frantic dancing, exhausted from his efforts. The light disappears, the glow fades, leaving the apartment's living room devoid of that former golden hue. A grayness returns to the room, and a horrible stillness reminiscent of a tomb. The cost of light is darkness after all, to have a stage means performing there. The curtains flutter shut, the show is over, the scene has closed.

ACT I, Alone in Agony, is over. ACT II to come? Only sanity may tell.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 am
Regime wrote a review...

Hi, this is Regime.

I liked the story’s descriptions, and the idea is spectacular with even a theme tied within it. However, I found the man’s thoughts a bit invasive at some points when I was trying to read through his motions. They are especially so towards the end of the story, where his thoughts are probably invasive to him as well. It became confusing with the breaks between description and thoughts. Other than this, I found the story intriguing and the style quite rhythmic.

-Regime

chhlovebooks says...

Thanks for the review and the comments. I've been hearing about the thoughts before, so I'll definitely see what I can do. Thanks for pointing that out! ^v^

Charm wrote a review...

Hey, chhlovebooks! I'm here to review your short. It's been awhile since I've reviewed one of your works but I'm excited to see how you've improved :D

The imagery is incredible. You use a lot of amazing metaphors and similies, definitely enjoying that part. You're writing this sort of like a script if I'm correct. I found the parenthesis and italics formatting a little odd.

watching it all like a well-loved ring-master gazing out over his circus (my domain, he thinks).

I love this part. I'm curious, what time period is this set in?
My biggest issue with this work is the all caps and bolded words. When writers write like that it really grinds my gears. You shouldn't have to rely on formatting to get your point across and it just looks messy. I seriously can't stand it xD. I also found the short a bit confusing. There were times where I had no idea what was going on and had to reread the entire paragraph. Other than that I enjoyed this short. The idea was incredible, it just needs a little more work to be incredible. I seriously can see this being something that gives it's readers shivers. I'm even willing to read every time you put out a different edit to help you with it if you want.

marmalade

chhlovebooks says...

Thank you a ton for the review! ^v^ The italics in parentheses are the man's thoughts to himself, sorry if that wasn't clear. The time period is purposefully ambiguous, just like I never named the man, but if pushed, I suppose it would be modern day? Do you think I should add some hints to the time period in there? And thanks for offering to re-read it, I'll tell you if I need it. Anyway, thanks for the review and have a great day! ^v^

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 am
NightKaizer wrote a review...

HEELLO chhlovebooks,
A short story about a lonely man with a curse. Or a gift? The words are like music themselves, merging together to create a beautiful scene. Your sense of vocabulary is extraordinary! Truly! I like how you added bits of his own thoughts into the act for the reader to get a sense of his pain and loneliness.
The way you bend the words is as fascinating as how the man bends his light and music. The flow of each paragraph grips ones heart and refuses to let go until the last sentence is read. Again, truly extraordinary.
Loneliness is a sanctuary for some, a harsh, desperate pressure for others. In this case, the man seems to accept loneliness, yet loathe it at the same time. Always wishing for something more. For someone to save him from such a curse.

It may be a gift in disguise,

Night Kaizer

chhlovebooks says...

Thank you for the compliments! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed my story. ^v^ Have a good night (or day).

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.