The gold coin

by canislupis

<>

The coin

Part 1 of 2.

A brisk wind was blowing, whipping the trees into a frenzy of waving branches which cast deepening shadows on the road. Two horses trotted side by side, working to pull a small carriage. Inside, a woman clutched a blanket tightly around her shoulders, trying to keep out the invasive cold that was spreading through the open window of the carriage. Darkness was coming on fast, and the road was long, with nary a sign of civilization. On top of the carriage, the lady’s husband was driving the horses. The sun had long gone down past the rim of the horizon and there was a storm brewing. The leaves beneath the carriage wheels made dry, crackling sounds, a repeating rhythm that started to lull the lady to sleep.

Suddenly, she saw it. A light, which was coming from not far down the road. She sat up drowsily to look out of the window, noticing with delight that it was coming from a window. With luck it would be a farmhouse, where they might pay for room and board. She shouted, calling to her husband. He tightened the reins, causing the horses to slow to a tired walk. He peered out in the direction she pointed too, but he could see nothing. He blinked again and there it was, clearly defined against the night. He slowed the horses and lighted a lantern. Illuminated in its light was clearly a farmhouse, with its crudely constructed split log fences, a barn and a small house, from which the light was coming. It looked so inviting that the husband got down from the carriage, and opened the gate. It was well oiled, and it didn’t squeak at all. He noticed footprints on the dusty path and smiled. Judging by the freshness of the prints, the farmer was very busy. He called out loudly, waiting for someone to answer. Sure enough, the door of the house opened, and a little wizened old man stuck his head out. When he saw the man standing by the gate, he smiled. Unhooking a lantern from inside the door, he came out to meet the man quickly.

“Excuse me sir, but my wife and I are traveling. We find ourselves in need of a place to sleep for the night, and we are willing to pay for room and board.”

The man nodded his head and looked around the man to see the carriage.

“No payment is necessary; really, it would be wonderful to have you. Why don’t you let your wife come inside, and I’ll introduce her to my missus. Meanwhile, you can keep your horses in my barn.”

They did as they were bidden, and soon the lady was in a deep conversation with her hostess. The elderly couple were quite welcoming, and when the men returned from the stables, the two women were still in deep conversation, while lifting pots onto the table. The continued the conversation all through dinner and the men joined in as well.

“So, how come you to be out here so late at night?”

The hostess asked with a smile. The lady answered her quickly.

“We were going to visit my sister, who lives down the road about five miles away. Our carriage lost a wheel, and we were unavoidably detained this afternoon. Thus we were still on the road when darkness fell."

“Ah, tis lucky though, for we seldom have visitors now.”

“We thank you for your help, I don’t know what we would have done if you weren’t here with all your hospitality."

Their friendly banter continued for a long time into the night, for their kind hosts had many things to talk about. When they finally excused themselves and trudged up to the proffered bedroom, it was well past midnight.

The lady woke in the middle of the night, sweating and shaking. She was suddenly full of fear, her pulse rocketing, though she couldn’t seem to remember why. Her husband was still sleeping soundly beside her, and everything seemed normal. She took several deep breaths and lay back down. She stayed awake for almost two hours, listening to the ticking of the large old grandfather clock in the living room, and breathing in the faitn yet distinct smell of smoke.

In the morning the couple woke up to a silent house. Realizing that it was very early, they dressed quietly and tiptoed out of their room, into the hall and down to the kitchen. Their hostess had done the dishes of the night before, leaving a sparkling kitchen behind. The man dug in his pocket for a coin, leaving it on the table for the couple to find when they woke up. Then they got the carriage and saddled the horses, and set off.

_________________

Soo..... I want to improve it, but I'm not sure how. I like the ending though......... Help anyone?

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:36 pm
canislupis says...

Pleased to meet YOU!! (Again) :)

Thanks you for the review, It was definitely helpful.

I haven't actually decided where this is taking place, but it obviously is in the past, so I was thinking that the coin would be worth more than that...... I imagined the couple as being old for the time, but not very decrepid and ancient. :D I guess I'll have to make stuff like that clearer.

So..... Thanks for the review! I'll work on the stuff you mentioned.

Fishr wrote a review...

A brisk wind was blowing, whipping the trees into a frenzy of waving branches which cast deepening shadows on the road. Two horses trotted side by side, working to pull a small carriage. Inside, a woman clutched a blanket tightly around her shoulders, trying to keep out the invasive cold that was spreading through the open window of the carriage.

This paragraph should be tarred, feathered, and hung out to dry. A few, like four at most is acceptable but there is too many verbs and adjectives. A prime example of over-description, and slaining my imagination by painting me a perfect portrait.

Secondly, if the trees are blowing from brisk air, we as the readers understand the wind is sharp. That being said, "whipping," "frenzy" and "waving" are not necessary at all.

*

Now that's off my chest, please to meet you - again. :)

Agreed it's rough but not terrible. One of the things that stuck out right away were the couple's hosts. Eh... For an old bunch, they managed to oil the gate? I had them imagined as seventy or older. Elderly people can sometimes hardly walk without assistance, and the old man is able to help the husband put out his horses - and do simple, meaningless chores such as oiling? Secondly, either they're the most friendliest bunch or they're the loneliest... It's not clear why two strangers would generously take in two strangers, not ask for payment, and be so friendly? Show us why this is so.

Another detail - why exactly was the wife so alarmed? We don't just jolt out of our sleep for giggles. This was never explained either. You just sorta shrugged it off - and left this scene dangling in thin air.

Lastly, well for starters, if I was taken in, and accepted without worrying about payment, I sure as heck would have left more than a coin! Unless of course, the couple are poor, which is never addressed either. And I certainly would have waited until the old residents awakened since I gushed over their hospitality so much. Why the couple left in such haste - is a mystery, and one I hope that will come into full circle. Kind rude on their part though, even if they left a coin.

Best of luck!

canislupis says...

Thanks for the review! It was very helpful. About the thirty chapters part, I said this was onely part one of two.... :) But I guess the same thing would apply.

Thanks again!

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 am
~Volant~ wrote a review...

author13 wrote:

The lady answered her quickly[s].[/s], [s]W[/s]we were going to visit my sister, who lives down the road about five miles away. Our carriage lost a wheel, and we were unavoidably detained this afternoon. Thus we were still on the road when darkness fell."

I wouldn't trust my judgment on the capitalization though.

Heh. I wouldn't either. Lol. Yeah, the W in we would be capitalized, because technically, it's the beginning of a sentance.

I really liked this. I''ve said it once, I'll say it a thousand times; your characters don't appear to be disabled, so use their sense of smell. Sure, making your reader see everything is great, but there's a difference in "clear as a movie" and "clear as being there". The latter is perferable.

It went by a little too fast for me. slow it down, let us get to know these people. Remember, we're stuck with them for the next thirty chapters or so; make sure they're real the moment we met them. lol.

canislupis says...

Thanks all! Your reviews are very helpful.

Author13: thanks you for taking the time to review this, it was greatly appreciated. As I mentioned before I'm very anxious to improve this piece, and your comments are very helpful. :D

VampX13: Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.......

Azila: I will! I will also think about what they are wearing.... I haven't quite decided yet.

All: Thanks you soo much for your comments! I really appreciate them.

Azila wrote a review...

Well, I think author13 and VampX13 pretty much covered it all. This piece is okay, but the flow needs to be worked on. Right now it feels a little--dry. There's a lot of beautiful detail about the surroundings, but hardly any emotion or anything that would help us relate with your characters. Even if you don't tell us their names, you should tell us their emotions and looks... The whole time I was wondering what the characters looked like and how they were dressed. You should definitely elaborate on that.

Other than the little flow problems author13 pointed out, there are also some typos, but you can find them if you invest a little time in a thorough read-through. :wink:

I hope this helps! Please PM me when you post part 2.

~Azila~

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 am
VampX13 wrote a review...

Work more on your flow.

Don't pay too much attention to detail. Specifying how long the lady stayed awake for seems awkward considering the way you write. Something more appropiate would be to remain vague and instead use a poetic description to allow the reader to feel the time passing.

Don't jump to the fact that the couple had been asleep for awhile, decribe what it was like to fall asleep in the lodging: what it felt like, sounded like, smelt like... etc. Also watch out for anything that sounds too modern. For example say the dishes had been washed instead of the dishes being done. Do not worry too much about this for conversation.

Very solid effort, though. I'm curious as to where your plot is headed. :-)

Alice wrote a review...

First comment! Don't rely on what I say too much when it comes to grammar and things like that. Word flow and awkwardness I am very good at though.

through the open window of the carriage
This part seems slightly awkward, maybe trying "Through the carriage's open window"?

nary

Huh? I think you mean "any"

On top of the carriage,

When you say that the first image that comes to mind is the very top not where the driver person sat. Just OMIT that line totally.

The sun had long gone down past the rim of the horizon and there was a storm brewing. The leaves beneath the carriage wheels made dry, crackling sounds, a repeating rhythm that started to lull the lady to sleep.

I absolutely love that description! It was just brilliant and made me shiver, but didn't you say just before the description that it was almost dark?

Suddenly, she saw it

The word "suddenly" should be avoided when writing novels at all costs. It is far too cliche and "holy crap I need something to do!"

A light, which was coming from not far down the road
The comma just seems awkward there, perhaps replacing it with a hyphen?

She sat up drowsily to look out of the window, noticing with delight that it was coming from a window.

Two things:
one: the phrasing in the beginning is slightly awkward and very simple, try putting "drowsily" at the beginning of the sentence and it will help it flow better.
two: you used "window" twice and it bugged me.

He peered out in the direction she pointed too, but he could see nothing. He blinked again and there it was, clearly defined against the night

I don't know but something about this part just bugged me, not in the eerie way that would be good in a horror flick but in the twitchy kill it way.

He slowed the horses and lighted a lantern.
I think you mean "lit"

Illuminated in its light was clearly a farmhouse, with its crudely constructed split log fences, a barn and a small house, from which the light was coming. It looked so inviting that the husband got down from the carriage, and opened the gate. It was well oiled, and it didn’t squeak at all. He noticed footprints on the dusty path and smiled. Judging by the freshness of the prints, the farmer was very busy. He called out loudly, waiting for someone to answer. Sure enough, the door of the house opened, and a little wizened old man stuck his head out. When he saw the man standing by the gate, he smiled. Unhooking a lantern from inside the door, he came out to meet the man quickly.

That should be its own paragraph.

No payment is necessary; really, it would be wonderful to have you. Why don’t you let your wife come inside, and I’ll introduce her to my missus.

I feel the need to urge you to put something about it being cold out right in there.

“So, how come you to be out here so late at night?” The hostess asked with a smile.

The wording there just seems awkward, and I don't really know how to fix it, just don't get rid of the word "tis" tis my favorite word you know.

weren’t here with [s]all[/s] your hospitality."

The slash says it all.

[s]for a [/s]long [s]time [/s]into the night,that's...very bad word usage as is follow the slashes. [s]for[/s] their kind hosts had many things to talk about.

Right here it sounds like you're trying too hard to be old fashioned in your word choice, it sounds forced.

The lady woke in the middle of the night, sweating and shaking.

Isn't Midnight the middle of the night, perhaps try "the lady woke in the early hours of the morning-well before the sun was up-ect ect."

awake for almost two hours

Unsureness on the narrator's part is just awkward.

Very abrupt ending, why wouldn't they wait to say thank you to their hosts? They seemed to like them, and even if matters were urgent it would have been polite-as times when the horse and buggey was one of the main modes of transportation, was demanded.

You also didn't give us any names! While that did give it the mysterious feel I assumed you were looking for it made it really hard to connect with the characters. Same thing with talking about their journey, you only said why they were going wherever they're going once. Perhaps the Lady could be mulling over it while she was in the carriage?

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn