12+

The Elder Scrolls: Escape ~ Chapter 2.2 - Wildfire

by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX

The man that came through the door with Omeloren had darkened skin, even darker than that of the Dunmer. Do’amha had heard a few of the guards call them Redguards, though that meant little to him. He was dressed in elegant clothes, similar to those worn by Omeloren, and walked with his hands clasped behind his back.Omeloren would babble on about his training methods and the use of punishment and reward to keep the slaves in line.

The Redguard paused outside of Do’amha’s cage with an intrigued expression.

“Ah yes,” Omeloren smiled. “My best slave of them all. He is truly one of a kind, even for a Khajiit.”

“This is the one that I saw fight the troll a week ago isn’t it?” the Redguard asked.

“Yes it is. He is a proverbial golden goose as it were.”

“What’s his name?”

“I believe the slaves call him Do’amha. A rather brutish name if I ever heard one.”

“You there, slave,” the Redguard called to Do’amha. Turning to the Redguard, he was motioned closer. “Let me get a look at you.”

“I don’t think that is wise, Limion,” Omeloren said as Do’amha began to stalk closer to the Redguard. Maybe he could use him as leverage to get out of this cage. Just a few more steps and he would have the dark skinned man in his claws.

“Even after seeing what happened in the arena, I doubt that he is as much of a hell cat in here.” Do’amha nearly froze in place. When he was called a ‘hell cat’ the Redguard turned to him with a knowing gaze. Do’amha’s head tilted, ever so slightly, in confusion as he slowly understood what it meant.

When he reached the bars of the cage, he gently set his clawed hands on the bars, making no move to harm the Redguard.

“Show me your teeth, slave.” Do’amha slowly opened his maw, revealing the yellowed row of fangs within. “I can see how he ripped the throat of that guard. Very dangerous. You blunt their claws, why not their teeth?”

“Do you want to stick your fingers in there to dull them? With these animals, you are likely to come up one short.”

Do’amha closed his mouth as the Redguard began turning his head this way and that to look at his jawline and fur pattern. “He has a good coat,” Limion mentioned. “Put your hands out of the cage.”

Do’amha complied without complaint, pressing his shoulders against the bars as his arms were inspected. Limion began to test his muscle, squeezing them from his shoulder down his arms.

“You feed him well I see.”

“If you don’t keep your best in good shape then he won’t stay the best,” Omeloren replied.

“If I had my pick of the litter,” Limion said as he began looking over Do’amha’s wrapped hands. “I would choose this one as the stud for my stock. For the right price of course.”

Omeloren was too distracted with the talk of coin, that he didn’t see when Limion slipped something into Do’amha’s wraps. Do’amha didn’t even see it, but he felt the object press against his skin beneath the cloth.

“Well, I'm sure that we can set a time for my men to bring him to your plantation for breeding.  I don't like having my merchandise out over night.  I'm sure you understand,” Omeloren sneered.

“Would probably be best to start him off with that black furred one that you sold me earlier. He seemed to have a certain liking to that one.” Limion gave him a quick glance – a subtle signal – to cement the notion in Do’amha’s head. “Or maybe I’ll start her off with one of my own studs.”

If he really is with Karliah, I have to play this up, Do’amha thought. He slammed against the cage doors with a dangerous growl as he swiped at Limion, who quickly ducked away. His eyes turned to Omeloren as he spat out, “You said she was mine!”

“I own all of you, slave!” Omeloren snapped back. “If I choose to sell your little bed warmer, then that is my decision. Perhaps you need another lesson in The Box?”

Do’amha flinched with a very real shudder of fear. “No…no Master Omeloren. No lesson is need.” He quickly retreated into the cage and sat in the corner, gripping his tail once again and began wringing it.

Limion touched a small line of blood on his cheek before he began chuckling. “Damn cat scratched me,” he said.

“Well I would normally have him punished, but I did warn you not to let him get so close.”

“That you did. It was my mistake. I forget sometimes how these things are more animal than person.”

“Would you like to end the tour?”

“No. No. I’m quite alright. Let’s continue. I am still in need of a stud for my Scale Backs.”

“Right this way,” Omeloren said leading them further into the slave pits.

When he was sure that they were gone, Do’amha fished out the object that had been slipped into his wraps. A piece of parchment, folded a few times, now rested in his paws. He quickly unfolded it and a small silver key fell out onto his breeches. Picking it up, he stared at it for a long moment. This is…he thought before looking to the door of his cage. He had seen this key a thousand times to open that very door.

Looking at the parchment he could see the rather elegant writing, written by someone that had spent some time with a tutor to create the fanciful lettering. It told him to wait for nightfall before heading to the north-most window in the arena.

“Karliah,” he said barely above a whisper. He jumped as the sound of Omeloren’s voice was growing closer. He quickly stuffed the small parchment into his mouth and started chewing.The ink tasted like dirt and the parchment was sticking to the roof of his mouth before he managed to swallow it. He slipped the key back into his wraps as Omeloren came into view with Limion right behind him.

The Redguard turned and looked directly at him before giving a very small nod and answering Omeloren’s question about his stock of slaves.

Looks like things are underway, Do’amha thought with a grin.

tigeraye wrote a review...

Another interesting chapter. We knew sooner or later Do'amha was going to try and escape, because, well, it's called "The Elder Scrolls: Escape", so I'm glad we're getting into the main coil of the Khajiit trying to escape his slavery. Still want to know more of his backstory though, how he became a slave, why Karliah is helping him, and how he didn't know what a Redguard was. There's a lot of questions by now that need answering.

I like the dialogue in this one -- each of your characters has a unique voice that's easy to picture. The small-talk between the Redguard and the high elf about Do'amha is particularly interesting, as it's not just having Do'amha interact with an interesting new character and describing him even further, but it also tells us that Omeloren is a bit of a coward. But he's also quite respectful for a Thalmor speaking to a human, very interesting. I look forward to reading the next chapter.

tigeraye says...

ignore this

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:08 pm
BeTheChange wrote a review...

I have no familiarity with The Elder Scrolls, but this was the oldest work in the Green Room, so I figured, why not review it anyway? I was confused about the relationships between some characters, probably because I didn't read the first chapter, but I could figure it out easily. The names did bother me. I don't like elaborate names for the sake of otherworldliness. However, if this is the way it is is canon, that's fine. I probably won't read the rest because it's not one of my fandoms, but you did a pretty good job and if someone wanted an Elder Scrolls fanfic, I'd steer them toward this one.

Megrim wrote a review...

Onward we go!

I noticed a lot of punctuation missing spaces afterward, particularly periods.

I wasn't sure what the significance of "hell cat" was. At first I thought it was a code word I'd forgotten, and went back to check his scenes with Karliah, but I couldn't find it. I'm not clear on why that stopped him from making a move on the guy.

I enjoyed the interaction between Do'amha and the newcomer, and the subtleties of playing their parts vs what they were actually communicating to each other. And as morbid as it is, the dicussion of using the best fighter as a stud makes perfect sense, and tickles my dark fantasy interest. I also liked the touch of characterization that the letter-writer must have had a tutor--small tidbits like that help deepen a world quite a bit.

If Limion is going to make a show of buying him, why do they need to bother with a key? Couldn't Limion just "buy" him, then bring him to Karliah and they go off on their merry way?

Enjoying the story so far, tag me when the next one is up.

If you will remember, Karliah calls him a he'll cat in the first section of this chapter. That is the signal. As far as the stud thing. Usually it is an arranged time. You do not purchase a stud like that normally, you only purchase their time and seed. They are usually we Cortes for a time before being brought back. However, I should mention that as part of the deal to ensure that that particular hole is fixed.

The deal with the punctuation is that copying the text over for some reason messes up the punctuation.

But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore