Moonlight Saga: Lost Throne ~ Chapter 1.2 - First Meetings

by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX

Word Count: 1334

The queen - Mirana - sighed and ran her hand along the back of the chair near her. Her fingers exploring the intricate designs cut into the wood by the carpenter who crafted it. “Those books that you read are only fairy tales. They have no truth to how the world really is. They are written to be fanciful and give you a world seen through rose-colored glasses. There are no such things as gallant knights that come galloping across the plains to rescue fair maidens from witches and dragons.” Re'ana rolled her eyes and stared out of the large window at the grounds below. She watched as loaves of bread were distributed to a large crowd of waiting peasants. Each of them covered in dirt and grime from head to foot. She witnessed an older man steal a loaf from a young child before running down the down the cobblestone street. “Do those peasants have a place in those stories that you read? Do they tell how they scrounge for food from one day to the next in a desperate attempt to eat something that month? How the decisions that we have made as the rulers of this kingdom have put them in that situation? Or are they just passed over as unimportant?” Re’ana just shrugged. “What those stories don’t tell you is that ignoring your responsibilities to the people of this country will turn them against you and you will have no one to blame but yourself.” Mirana gazed at her daughter with a weary look. A look that only a mother could give to their child. She had tried so hard to prepare Re’ana for the future; and yet, it all seemed lost on her. Deciding that she had berated her daughter enough, she chose to move on to something a little less of an argument. “Your birthday is in a few days. Have you decided what you would like as a gift?”

“Oh...whatever you find will be fine. I probably won't bother with opening it anyways.” She opened the red cover of the book in her hands to continue on her imaginative journey through the world of fantasy.

Mirana strode over, with an irritated gate, and snatched the book from Re’ana’s hand. She had had quite enough of her daughter’s complete disrespect for those that were trying to help her. “Perhaps I should make it a little clearer for you. Your attitude of superiority is well out of place and not fitting of someone of royalty. Do you know that without the people you would not have anything to rule? If you can't see that, then you will lose everything that you have enjoyed from the moment of your birth. No servants. No books. No days spent lounging about the castle without care. You have to learn what it means to be a leader and do what is in the best interest of your people.”

Re'ana sighed with the same irritated look on her face that was on her mother's. “Alright! I will be nicer to William in the future. Can I have my book now?” Re'ana held out her hand expectantly. Mirana sighed and reluctantly handed over the collection of written passages having half a mind to throw the book into the fire; but that would only send this argument into new heights of harsh words and foul tempers.

“I just want to know that you will be ready for the future, Re'ana. If you aren't, then I have failed as a mother.”

Re'ana ignored her mother's heartfelt concern and buried herself in the words of her book. Mirana left the room giving a loving gaze over her shoulder to her daughter, whom she feared would never grow out of her immature ways. Re'ana was spirited away into the fairy tales of her book. Leaving the uneventful world behind her as she rode across the plains of the wild savanna and explored mysterious jungles for the ruins of some ancient being.

When the sun disappeared behind the hills on the horizon, Re'ana got ready for bed; but, as the night wore on she found that she couldn't fall asleep. Of course, the fact that tonight was the first night of the full moon and she had demanded that the curtains that once hung in her room be removed and new ones sewn, as she did every year, only aided in fate's plan to keep her from sleeping. With an annoyed sigh, Re'ana grabbed the heavy robe that was draped beside her bed and covered the silk nightgown that she was wearing. With it being too dark to read, she headed out of her room on a quest to the castle gardens. Holding a meager candle in a candlestick of polished brass, she wandered the darkened corridors toward her destination. She idly thought that this would be similar to the caverns that her book's hero was lost in.

Opening the doors to the garden she breathed in the midnight air that rushed in from the outside, the midsummer sky sparkling with stars. The heavenly moon illuminating the flowers that filled the open court with an eerie glow. Walking along the stone paths the led through the maze of the hedges, she paused to sit on the stone bench that overlooked the massive fountain that dominated the center of the garden. It depicted lovely women holding a large vessel that would pour endless amounts of water into the calm pool beneath it. She stared up at the sky, trying to remember where the constellations that she had been taught were found. Her favorite constellation was hidden by the castle itself, but she smiled thinking back to the romantic story that went with it.

Re'ana jumped and let out a yelp when a voice behind her said, “Strange for you to be up.” She quickly turned and looked to the man that had snuck up behind her. The man in front of her had a somewhat rugged face and was dressed in a black sleeveless tunic and pants. His gloved hands, which were missing the fingers, rested on the hilt of an ivory-handled, curved sword at his hip. “Not normal for a member of the royal family to have troubles with sleeping.”

Quickly regaining her composure she gave him a sour look. “It's rude to sneak up on someone in the dark. Have you no manners? Besides, if you know who I am then you should address me in the proper manner,” Re'ana snapped.

The man chuckled as he bowed slightly to her. “As you wish, Princess,” he said, before turning around and walking away.

“How dare you turn your back on royalty, Guard! What is your name so that I may have you punished properly?!”

The man paused and turned to Re'ana. “Now why would I give you my name if I know that you plan on punishing me? It would make more sense for me to just leave and not give you anything.”

Re'ana ground her teeth in frustration at the nonchalant manner that the guard was speaking to her. How dare he speak to me in that tone! she thought. “I, your Princess, am ordering you to tell me your name!”

The guard let out an audible huff that hinted at a small laugh. “I'm called Fang.” He turned about again and disappeared behind a hedge. Re'ana rushed to the point where she lost sight of Fang to scold him more, only to find that he had vanished into the shadows of the night. Furious, Re'ana stomped through the garden and headed back into the castle. Going to the library, her only other sanctuary, and dropped down into one of the many chairs set in front of the enormous fireplace that had a roaring bonfire inside it. She sat there for a while before falling asleep in the soft cushion of the chair, unaware of the eyes from the creature that watched her from the window.

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/XxXTheSwordsmanXxX/Moonlight-Saga-Lost-Throne--Chapter-11--First-Meetings-128061

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/XxXTheSwordsmanXxX/Moonlight-Saga-Lost-Throne--Chapter-13--First-Meetings-128076

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/XxXTheSwordsmanXxX/Moonlight-Saga-Lost-Throne--Chapter-14--First-Meetings-128085

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/XxXTheSwordsmanXxX/Moonlight-Saga-Lost-Throne--Chapter-15-Final--First-Meetings-128118

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Swordsman! Casanova here for a review! Now, I usually do romance since that's my favourite genre, but fantasy is my second so I'm going to like this! I mean, I do like it, but I have a few nitpicks that I think I could say. Anyway, to the review!

Okay, so. The first thing is about the large, blocks of texts you have for your paragraphs. They're daunting to read, and hard on the eyes. There's several ways to fix this, but I find the easiest way is paragraph breaking. This is where you break a paragraph into smaller chunks. You do this when there's a different thought, idea, or you place dialogue. So, in other words, it's pretty easy to spot but also easy to look over if you're the one writing the work. Here, let me give you an example from your work-

Whoa, that's a big block of text. Anyway, you see where the dialogue is? Break the paragraph there. Here, this is how I would do it-

"The queen - Mirana - sighed and ran her hand along the back of the chair near her. Her fingers exploring the intricate designs cut into the wood by the carpenter who crafted it.

“Those books that you read are only fairy tales. They have no truth to how the world really is. They are written to be fanciful and give you a world seen through rose-colored glasses. There are no such things as gallant knights that come galloping across the plains to rescue fair maidens from witches and dragons.”
Re'ana rolled her eyes and stared out of the large window at the grounds below. She watched as loaves of bread were distributed to a large crowd of waiting peasants. Each of them covered in dirt and grime from head to foot. She witnessed an older man steal a loaf from a young child before running down the down the cobblestone street.
“Do those peasants have a place in those stories that you read? Do they tell how they scrounge for food from one day to the next in a desperate attempt to eat something that month? How the decisions that we have made as the rulers of this kingdom have put them in that situation? Or are they just passed over as unimportant?” Re’ana just shrugged. “What those stories don’t tell you is that ignoring your responsibilities to the people of this country will turn them against you and you will have no one to blame but yourself.”
Mirana gazed at her daughter with a weary look. A look that only a mother could give to their child. She had tried so hard to prepare Re’ana for the future; and yet, it all seemed lost on her. Deciding that she had berated her daughter enough, she chose to move on to something a little less of an argument.
“Your birthday is in a few days. Have you decided what you would like as a gift?”"

Something like that would make it a lot better. Do this to all of your paragraphs, and not only would it be less hard on the eyes- but it would also make it look neater and make your chapter seem longer.

Another thing is you're doing a good job putting emotion out in your thoughts and the characters actions, but overall your dialogue is a bit bland. Spice it up. Play around with it. Have fun with it.

Anyway, I think that's all I'll say on this one. I hope this helped, even a little!

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron.

ChieTheWriter says...

Evil cliffhanger.

Me want more!

Check out the rest of the chapter parts then.

That's what I'm doing! :) Your writing is awesome!

RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, XxXTheSwordsmanXxX. It is I again. This part was much more interesting than the last. To me it seems it keeps getting better. Guess I'll have to read more to find out but on for the review cause I did see some things that could use help.

She witnessed an older man steal a loaf from a young child before running down the down the cobblestone street.

Mirana strode over, with an irritated gate, and snatched the book from Re’ana’s hand.

"Gate" is used as a structure not a face. You could replace the word with: grimace, countenance, or front.

Mirana sighed and reluctantly handed over the collection of written passages having half a mind to throw the book into the fire; but that would only send this argument into new heights of harsh words and foul tempers.

I know this is your story but I don't find the mother's actions here very believable. Her child is ruling over her and since she is trying to teach Re'ana about ruling she's not being a very good example.

Of course, the fact that tonight was the first night of the full moon and she had demanded that the curtains that once hung in her room be removed and new ones sewn, as she did every year, only aided in fate's plan to keep her from sleeping.

This was a bit confusing. I'd try rewording it a bit.

She sat there for a while before falling asleep in the soft cushion of the chair, unaware of the eyes from the creature that watched her from the window.

When you said creature I immediately thought of a monster from Monsters Inc. but that could just be me. Keep writing and never get discouraged! I hope my review was helpful.

~Keepwriting

There are definitely a few typos in this story and I appreciate you pointing them out. I plan on writing down your suggestions and correcting them promptly. Believe it or not that "gate" was actually supposed to be "gait". Apparently Open Office doesn't think I can spell.

Thank you again for the review.

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time