z

Young Writers Society



Maybe I Should Die

by WaitingForLife


Maybe I should die.

Buy some cheap rope and loop it around my neck, the rough twine biting into my skin as I jump off a stool. A quick, jerking tension, then a creaking rope in a still room.

I don't necessarily want to die.

Place a gun to my head and squeeze real hard, like trying to grasp a phantom. I wonder if it's better to place the muzzle to the temple or into the mouth. What if I just shoot my nose off? Now that would be embarrassing. Pretty painful, too. Perhaps a large revolver would look classy, like the ones in those nice bandit yarns. A pool of blood slowly expanding to touch the shiny metallic finish. Yeah, I can picture that real nice.

I have many friends who wouldn't want me dead. Family. A girl.

Slide a razor across my veins and wait for enough fire to escape the ragged wounds. I could never do a clean cut. My hands would shake and I would wail out. It wouldn't be the blood. Probably not the pain, either. It would be the horribly wrong feeling, like you're mutilating yourself, making yourself into something you're not. I'd feel ashamed. Both for crying out and for the act of mutilation.

I enjoy life. There's much I want to accomplish, much I'll probably accomplish in just a few more years. A master's degree in engineering. A steady relationship.

Pop open a bottle of pills, pick out the tasty looking ones and start gulping them down. Better make sure they aren't laxatives. Dying from explosive diarrhoea would be singularly unpleasant. I would imagine it would make a right mess. Pills might be the easiest, but I've never liked them. They look too... impersonal, I guess. You've got too much time to think, as well, while they slumber in your belly, mixing and mashing.

I've been thinking enough. I've been thinking it wouldn't be that bad to die.

I've read the news. I've glanced over some magazines. I've heard the talk. Seen the headlines.

Sexual Offender Assaulted by Police Officers!

”The mislead individual was not even resisting … never quite right in the head, his relatives confided … succumbed to his injuries ... Is this what our police force has turned into? Please, God, lessen his sentence … just tip the scales a little on his behalf.”

An ex-boxer of relative stature, now a gun-toting drug addict with at least four severe beatings on his record. Seven hospitalised. One in a coma. He OD'd a couple of months back. Life-time magazines took it upon themselves to relate his unfortunate story to the world.

”The sad tale of a confused young man … rose to fall once more … didn't give up and kept on living the way he wanted to … made a couple of mistakes, mostly due to hasty decisions. He was only human … misjudged his boundaries, and took in too much substance … passed away earlier this day … He will be in our prayers. The world needs more strong souls like him.”

Maybe I should die.

Me, I'm clean as an angel's cheek, never an offence in my life. I lived quietly with mommy and daddy, got great grades, met an amazing girl, got a well-paying job. I hardly even swear. Just imagine what they'd say of me if I died. I'd be a hero, a priest, a victim of modern oppression.

Heck, I'd be a minor deity. They'd erect temples in my name, great products of sweat and toil like the pyramids of old.

Come to think of it, hemp rope is cheap as dirt. And we have just the stool at our place.

----

EDIT: A/N: This is not just a story about suicide. It is a satire aimed at questioning the manner in which media commercialises death and likes to paint heroes out of anyone who dies in a questionable manner.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 5634
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm
View Likes
alanafiredancer wrote a review...



Hey Firedancer here to review your short story. Sorry if I write anything that offends you, I'm just genuinely trying to help and to share my opinion, because that's what people want isn't it? Opinions? Tips and tricks? Someone praising their work, in order to boost their confidence? Anyways, I'll try and incorporate at least one of the above mentioned items into my review.

First thing first, I like the subject matter you chose to talk about. It is a very controversial but true subject in today's society. How monstrous people get the most publicity, while good ordinary folk get shoved and pushed aside. I can relate to the mans view. How him dying would be a cry for attention, a plea of recognition if anything. So true nowadays. I mean there was a school shooting not that long ago, and the only reason why they did it was to 'gain publicity' if you can believe it. A lot of people are sick in the head today.

Second thing. I like that you described ways to die intermittently with the confessions of the main character how he didn't want to die. Very good use of creative arrangement.

The last sentence is very ambigous and leaves everything to the readers imagination, which i like. You can't tell if he's made up his mind yet or if he is just entertaining the thought. Real good. Again I repeat you can sense the desperation in this guy when he states: "Heck, I'd be a minor deity. They'd erect temples in my name, great products of sweat and toil like the pyramids of old." Very nice, I like it.

Overall good work! Keep up the good writing! Hope this review helped!




Random avatar

Points: 266
Reviews: 18

Donate
Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 pm
anirban wrote a review...



This is really very well written.

To start with, the concept was fresh and had a hint of originality. I like the way you use the loop as you say it. The imagery is perfect. Its almost as if I can see 'em happening right at the back of my head. Good work there. The way you've chosen to introduce media to the plot seemed well thought. Overall a good read. Enjoyed your piece. Keep writing.
Cheers!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 624
Reviews: 6

Donate
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm
Meoiu says...



Very well written. Makes the world seem even more twisted and cruel doesn't it? Anyone who dies suspiciously, is turned into some sort of hero, or perfect role model, and the people that used to be "role model" material, gets trashed, until their death, which is turned into something disdainful, as if he/she was a waste of space after making the wrong mistakes, and wasting potential. I still felt like it was missing something. It seemed as if he/she only wanted to die in a way, simply for the attention, or pretend to commit suicide long enough, that hopefully, someone would come and rescue him/her. Kind of reminds me of this poem, which I can't remember right now, where the lady desperately tries to kill herself on many occasions but someone always "miraculously" comes to her "rescue," and one day, it just didn't happen, and she really did die. lol. Overall, I liked this piece of art though.






Hmm, I see your point. I'll poke around the piece and see if I can come up with a sentence or two to deviate more clearly from mere suicide. Thanks for the input. ^^





Hmm, I see your point. I'll poke around the piece and see if I can come up with a sentence or two to deviate more clearly from mere suicide. Thanks for the input. ^^



Random avatar

Points: 665
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 am
View Likes
TavarilLasgalen wrote a review...



This was intense. I liked the arguing, with him not necessarily wanting to die, but still pondering it. It had a nice effect. The news article felt somewhat out of place at first, but on the second read through, added to the story. Your writing style is great and I quite enjoyed reading this. :)




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 941
Reviews: 27

Donate
Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:29 am
View Likes
KilljoyRetardedFish wrote a review...



I like how it ended in a loop (no pun intended). Well, it's very dramatic, and I could hear the arguments that were going on, mostly because I went through a minor phase where I thought like this. Realistic and disturbing. The voice is clear, serious, very direct, and goes very well with this piece. Very good use of structure as well. Keep writing, I'm interested in your work.




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 539
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 am
View Likes
Harrug wrote a review...



Although I'm not quite sure what you were going for, I kind of liked this piece in the sense of the way it was written. However, I didn't like it because of the topic. If you were going for a really disturbing article that will cause me to have trouble falling asleep tonight, you certainly did the trick.
Going back to what I said earlier, you wrote it really well. It was like an argument, but neither side could hear the other. I don't normally like arguments in any writing (other than for a newspaper), but this one worked out really well.




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:02 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey there waiting!

Okay this was intense. Like really intense. I didn't know where you were going with it at all and it's a very disturbing piece to read.

The voice was a little bipolar. Maybe that's what you were going for but I definitely felt like there was something lacking in consistency. If that's to do with effect, then fine! But if not, decide on a particular emotion you want to convey. You begin with apathy, and then curiosity, and as we go further down there's a lot of bitterness coming to the surface. Now as far as suicide is concerned, of course there are a lot of emotions floating around. But I don't know. I just didn't feel the voice very strongly, and I think it was to do with the constant change of tack.

The second thing I didn't like was the sudden deviation into the articles and the quotes, but particularly the paragraph in between the quotes. I didn't know what you or the narrator was talking about. I was totally lost, I didn't know the story- was the man in the story sentenced to death? Was it just that people rally around the strangest of banners? Whatever the reason, it broke things up too much for me and it felt a little bit random. While it was an interesting point you were making, I think that for it to have any effect on us as readers it needs to be further delineated so that we can understand the narrator's plight.

I liked the second last line, the proof that what we are seeing is a very unsafe mind. But I stick to my conviction above that the voice was too jumpy for us to get much of an idea of things. A little more consistency all around won't hurt.

But overall, very powerful, very haunting, and nicely described.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x






Thanks for your thoughts. ^^ The point was to question the way media commercialises death, and ridicule the thought through this eccentric voice who wishes to commit suicide in order to become a "thing". The articles were supposed to be the twist in the story where this comes into play. I'm afraid the idea wasn't as well expressed as I thought, as no one seemed to derive the meaning from the story. :P



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 2192
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm
View Likes
Veni says...



Wow, that was......
Amazing
Intense
Perfect
Scary
Understandable....
I don't how to describe it but it has a ...... Feeling about it.





We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot