every drop of water like a stone

by Vervain

-text removed-

vincentvinniealonso wrote a review...

This poem had a really interesting beat and rhythm that kept it moving very well. It had really great flow and never felt choppy or unnatural. As dearestdeli explained, it's very sensual which is great! Finding the sensuality in a poem can be really hard and you tackled that pretty well. I do wish the poem had more levels since it feels like it like it kind of has the same emotional platform up until the last stanza.

The metaphors were beautiful, the poem had nice flow and this piece was an overall gold star. (Side note: I absolutely LOVED the line 'run rivers down my spine'. It just... sounds nice, you know?)

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:22 am
dearestdeli wrote a review...

Wooooooooow, Lareine,

Just wanna say: one of THE most sensual poems I've read in a very long while!!

I don't know if I can call this a review! More of a praise!

The poem structure is one of my favorite parts. There's a bit of struggle with structure of some poems I've read but a clever one you are! Reminds me of a puzzle with the way the lines are placed.

Imagery is most definitely one of your strengths! I can feel this poem, smell it, hear it--everything! I love the way you immediately entered the poem too! Straight into the sensory.

I also learned a new word by the way haha!

I have nothing else to say other than great freaking job! I am also sorry for using so many exclamation marks. Just very excited about great poetry.

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hey love.

I like the concept of this. The way you describe events with entries in a dictionary that is very obviously out of order, indicating that it's because of a progression of time.

My biggest thing with this is how you seem to have the middle of a poem. It took me a few reads to pick up on the entries of a dictionary, and there doesn't seem to be an introduction or closure. Because this is so narrative-heavy, I feel we need something at the start and at the end to really tie everything together and explain just a little, introduce the metaphor before the entries begin, and maybe end it with something to show what the entries mean.

I'm also going to pitch the concept of tension, where there is a tiny grain of conflict in the poem that keeps us reading. This could be fixed with an introduction, or maybe some edits. But you have so much potential for tension and it's not really there. It was hard to pick up on the entries because of it, because it felt list-like.

Overall, this was beautiful. I feel like I might borrow this metaphor to explain lives, because it's just so fitting. Certain parts of our existence feel very defined by certain words, and this feels like such a good coping mechanism. It just needs something to tie it all together, and maybe a dash of conflict, for it to really sing.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:09 am

Hey there!

1. Interesting title - it's unusual and caught my attention so nice work there.

2. I don't think of stones as being hot, in fact quite the opposite. My experience of them is that they're cold and smooth so I'm struggling with the comparison of a hot shower to stones. Maybe if you began with the image of coals and then worked to stones from there?

3.

the part I break down every day,
I'm not sure about this line as it's very ambiguous. Your persona is either breaking down the word or she breaks down every day? Adding a 'where' after part would add some clarity or maybe you wanted to be ambiguous?

4.
atoning for my sin—commiserate
is entered in my dictionary
somewhere in the middle, it's
I understand it's the persona's dictionary but it really niggles me that the words aren't in alphabet order. That's probably me just being a little bit OCD but my head doesn't like it. I applaud you for the idea though and I'm sure it won't bother most readers.

5. I know nothing about who the 'you' is or why the speakers feels a need to commiserate toward them. Is this someone who has broken up with them? I think more hints about this 'you' are needed as the emotions are nice but there's currently not a lot of substance to back them up and when a lot of your imagery is mental rather than physical, you really need a strong context behind it. The first stanza worked because you had the more solid imagery of stones, rain, spine, skin etc. but the physical imagery in this stanza all revolves around this 'you' who we do't know.

6.
every whisper aimed at faces turned
away from wind—incinerate
I think the line break would be better after faces as that's a natural pause and then to start with turn after kind of turning the corner there to get on to the next line would be nice.

7.
and turned to rain in kind
I'm not sure about 'in kind' - it sounds a little odd. I think ending at rain would be nicer.

The poem has a nice flow and the level of emotions is lovely but the context is a little hard to grasp at. You have the mental health theme running through it very strongly but I know nothing about who the you is or what their relation to the persona is or what has caused this persona to feel so troubled. It's hard to connect with them on the emotions alone because I'm not sure what kind of situation I'm trying to understand/ relate to.

I like the use of the dictionary as a repetitive as it adds a nice structure to the stanzas, even if my head is complaining that the words don't go in that order - and that's not necessarily a bad thing! It takes me a step further from relating to the persona but also gives me a deeper insight into the way their mind works differently and sometimes that's as important as making them relateable.

All the best with this!

~Heather

Vervain says...

Hey there!

I guess I should explain -- I think an explanation would help clear up some of the reasons I picked these lines and images, especially the "hot water is stones" and "you" parts.

I wrote this poem from an autistic viewpoint, though I'm sure it's possible to read it and get a message out of it from completely different ones. As an autistic person, it's difficult for me to take a shower because of the way it sends me into sensory overload, so unless the water is scalding hot, I can't stand the feeling of it against my skin. It's not the water itself, really, but the shower head and how I feel like it's beating at me -- "every drop of water like a stone".

If you add that to the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands if not millions of people in the world who don't understand autism and would be glad to see people like me eliminated from this earth, then the feeling of being stoned for my sensory processing disability turns from being literal, in the showering sense, to metaphorical, in the social sense.

I picked the "you" in the second stanza to kind of delineate a "me vs. you" sense that I get from a lot of people when they find out I'm autistic, and it's why I haven't told most of the people I know in real life, because I find they react more violently than people online. But, in a sense, it's the speaker "commiserating" with other people who feel left out by society for some reason or another (usually mental health: depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD, etc.), but who are quick to turn on them the second they voice something wrong about themselves. (Which is, unfortunately, a scenario I've been in multiple times.)

As for the smaller line edits, I'll definitely be thinking about them as I keep looking at this piece. If you have any other questions about the work, I'd be glad to answer them! Thank you for the review!

Rydia says...

That's really interesting actually and I can see where you were going with the stones now. My brother has a form of autism - asperger syndrome - and I'm a carrier. I don't think he feels the same about showers but the repetition and the different way of thinking with the dictionary are things I could easily associate with how people with autism think.

I'm still not sure the 'you' or the commiseration aspect comes through very strongly. Even knowing the explanation and reading that part again, it feels like there's too much left to be inferred.

But thanks for the explanation, it's always nice to now what the story behind a poem is. As much as I love that it's generally a form of art open to interpretation, knowing where the original idea came from is like the final piece to a jigsaw puzzle.

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman