Weird Crazy Love

by TheShauzer

… and through the pulsing of the strobe lights I see her face, close to mine, and I see that her eyes are focused on me, and we are no longer dancing but dancing together, and she is so beautiful. And even as my mind begs retreat, and my stomach churns, my legs lose strength and suddenly she is against my chest, and she is supporting me. Her hair brushes against my cheek and it is so much, just to know that I have touched her, so much. And sense returns.

‘But I love her.’

‘But you love her.’

And even as I declare my loyalty, her perfume has filled me and I find that my mind is lost. And I open my eyes without remembering having ever closed them, and I find that she is an inch from me, and that her blue eyes have specks of green. And even as I panic and my breath quickens, her lips have found my lips, and I am truly, irrevocably lost.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello! Here to bring this out of the green room for you! :D I picked it out because you classified it as romantic and I love me some romance, so lets get to it!

I love the simplicity of this and that you tried to capture one specific, yet profound moment. One of the best parts of any love story is when person A realizes they love person B. I thought your overall style of prose was lovely and your way with words was lovely. It was very poetic and it flowed really nice. For it being such a short moment in time, you did a really, really nice job making it a moment worth remembering and bringing out the little details of the moment. Without that, the story would be very blase.

My biggest qualm with this piece is that I want a little bit more. While I do really like the simplicity and the capturing of this one small, significant moment, I feel like I'm missing part of the story. The fact that you chose to start with a ... and a lowercase word makes me feel like the story is unfinished and we didn't get to see the first part of it. Now, I appreciate a good flash fiction piece and I don't think you need to add a ton of length. You've already shown that that you can do a lot with a little (which is awesome because not everyone has that skill!) I really want to know where we are and what's going on. I feel like those two little details added to the beginning (you could probably do it in one paragraph) would make the story feel more complete.

My other little qualm was the dialogue (is it even dialogue?) in the middle. I'm talking about the "But you love her/But I love her" Are those thoughts or dialogue. If it's dialogue I would do full quotation marks (" ") and I would also be curious to know who is saying these lines. I think if they're thoughts, you could make it more apparent it's thoughts by putting it in italics.

Overall, the story works for me and I think it's a beautiful portrayal of a moment. Let me know if you ever write a novel because I'll be all over that. And let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

TheShauzer says...

Thanks very much for the effort you put into the review, I don't know about you but it seems to me that that's faded a little over the last while.

I'd add more but then it wouldn't mean as much to me, cause this is just something I pictured once on the bus. Not a story, not a poem, no beginning or end, just a moment - which you caught on to, clearly. I just mean to say that to add more would be untruthful, and to embellish would be to taint because the simple style - in my mind - suited the moment perfectly. Thank you for the feedback though, I'd have said the exact same if I saw a piece like this.

About the novel remark, I'm actually working on something pretty hopeful right now so if ever I actually do finish it you'll be one of the few I'll give a shout to. Thanks a lot for the review man :)

TheShauzer says...

Oh also, the ' ' ' is used in Ireland and England instead of the ' " '. I don't think there's any particular reason and I only just found out recently myself. Just to clear up the confusion.

Lavvie wrote a review...

Hello there!

What you have here is not exactly a short story, but more of a sketch of a scene that could belong in a short story. Because of this, the intentionality behind the sketch is unclear. What do you hope to achieve with this? What is the impact of this on yourself and also your readership? There is nothing wrong with posting little vignettes on YWS, but as you have posted this as a short story, I will review it as such. And it is not quite a short story.

In order to make something a short story, you need some sort of characterization, plot development, some sort of action as well. As it stands, your protagonist and his love interest are actually quite flat characters. They are stagnant and unchanging in their love for each other. Also, what are the grounds for this love? I think there are many questions that you need to answer, as the author, in order for this to be more than a quick glimpse into a scene of your protagonist's life.

Personally, I struggle with the cliched woman-overpowering-the-man situation. It's actually quite dehumanizing. While I understand that it may lead to some beautiful imagery and descriptive text, it does not yield much respect for either character. Once again, I am urging you to expand this short scene into something more.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Lav

TheShauzer says...

I don't know, I think we differ on the meaning of 'story'. For me this piece has a beginning, middle and end; it's a moment in time captured in a couple of paragraphs. I feel to add plot development or characterization would be to pollute it with lies, because really I'm telling the story of this moment and this phenomenon, not of these people. Adding more would - I think - be selling out on the moment, and disrespecting it. But thank you for your say, it gave me something to chew on.

As to the cliched woman-overpowering-the-man dilemma, really its nothing planned; I'm a guy, so I imagined myself in the situation, and I'm as much of a hopeless romantic as the next struggling writer. I think that instead of looking at it as man & woman you should look at it as hopeless romantic prey & accidental hunter. Or suicidal fish & innocent fisherman. Some people, I guess, are just constantly subconsciously on the lookout for love, and therefore fall for it so much easier. I think that's the case for me because I see love as such a powerful experience that nothing else can really compare. In any case, this is a hopeless romantic meeting a very beautiful person - a tragic inevitability. But beautiful.

But I'm gushing. And falling into a tangent. Anyways, thank you so much for the review - I love it when people put that kind of effort in, and it really doesn't go unappreciated.

Dreamworx95 says...

Hi, not a critique, just wanted to say I really enjoyed the elegant prose here. A nice fragment of love and life. Thank you for sharing.

TheShauzer says...

That's lovely of you to say, thank you :)

skylnn00writes says...

I love this too much. I just can't bring myself to review it. I have so many feels right now but I feel so warm and fuzzy. Amazing. Just amazing. Good job :smt001

TheShauzer says...

Thank you, very much :)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare