Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Narrative

A Good Friend

by TheLeakyPen

I’ve always been described as a good friend. Not to brag but I guess I kinda am. I’m the type of person that will always help my friends if they’re in need. I will go beyond what is expected of me to make them feel loved and supported. I keep secrets, and sometimes I’ll even lie for them. I’m a loyal friend, to say the least. But that loyalty was tested the second semester of my sophomore year when one of my best friends started dating a man almost a decade older than her.

I remember the day that she first started texting him, we were going to see a movie and he worked at the theater. He offered to give us a couple of free tickets. Almost instantaneously I noticed the way he talked to her. Sweetly, and very gentle. I mentioned something to her about it but she brushed it off by saying “No, he’s just being nice”. And I let it go at that. Less than a month later they were “together”, or as together as a 23 and 14-year-old can be. I’ll never forget the feeling I had the day she told me she loved him. The sudden drop in my stomach that was a mix of fear and disappointment. She used to skip lunch to go and be with him. I’d bite my nails to a stub until she got back because I was so worried. He took everything from her. Her innocence, her safety, her common sense. If I told her what she was doing was wrong she’d blow up at me. Tell me how I didn’t understand because I had never been in love. Because of this, I stopped hanging out with her as much. Our friendship dwindled as we both found new friends. But I continued to keep her secret. No matter how hard it was to keep bottled up. Finally, in late July, I snapped. She had started telling me about all the things they had done and all the things they were going to do. I couldn’t take it. I was so so worried about her. So I made the decision to tell my mom what was going on. She ended up calling my friends mother, anonymously and informing her of the situation. My friend got in a lot of trouble, but she was safe. And that was what I cared about.

This situation forced me to put what I knew was right above what I normally did. I had to think about her well being in the future instead of the present. What it would have done to her mentally, in years to come, if I hadn’t stopped it when I did. She still doesn’t know that it was me, and I don’t think I’ll ever tell her. Despite everything, I still value having her trust. And that’s what surprised me the most. How worried I was that she would find out that I had been the one to spill her most important secret. Even though I know what I did was right, she might not see it the same way. I value friendship, I really do, but I value doing the right thing more. This experience has taught me that. And telling someone what was going on wasn’t being a bad friend, it was being a good friend. A great friend in fact. It took me a while to realize that. I beat myself up for months afterward. But now, I’ve come to know that it was the right thing to do. It was something a friend would do. And I don’t regret it at all.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi! I really love it then someone writes from their own personal experiences. It immediately makes it more relatable & you can really see the real life moral dilemma and how it affected you!

You're writing style is good and I'm pretty impressed how you managed to convey so much in such a short piece.

Could just be me, but I feel like this is kind of wasted in essay form. What a great basis for a short story...or novella? The dilemma is perfectly set up for you. You already know the exact feelings involved, the timeline, the structure etc.

You could always ramp up the drama a couple of notches by adding in some fiction here and there.

Good luck! Keep writing.

Oh and by the way...You definitely did the right thing :)

Olive <3

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:36 pm
QueerHumanBean wrote a review...

Hello, Bean here to review!

First of all, you don't have to take any critiques seriously, they are my own opinions.
and Second of All, this is only my second review, so don't get too mad.

Now this essay is well formatted, and is good in general.
I would refrain though from using words like kinda, or not to brag, because although they are words and words you can use, in personal experience, it makes it seem like you are both Bragging, and at the same time self-doubting/depriciating.
"Not to brag but I guess I kinda am."

Now in the final paragraph you go back to an idea that you had formulated at the beginning,
"This situation forced me to put what I knew was right above what I normally did"
This is a very good idea, being enforced as it is the final paragraph and needing to tie things in.

You have a talent for writing, but just like so many of us (including myself) don't have the best grammar. I can see sentences where a comma, instead of a period, would be better.

In all a 9/10
Would totally recommend!

-Bean

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom