z

Young Writers Society


12+

To The Brokenhearted

by TheLeakyPen


Dear you,

If you’re reading this, then it’s been another one of those days (or nights). You’ve tried and tried but you can’t stop thinking. About him or her or them. You want to get them off of your mind but you can’t. You can’t stop thinking about who you were when you were with them. How you felt. What you did. You just can’t stop!

And that’s okay. It really is. I’ve been there. Hell, I am there. Right now I am feeling what you are feeling. I am missing them as much as you are. They are as stuck in my mind as they are on yours. I understand. I know what it is to love someone unconditionally and then have your heart crushed.

You need to know that it’s alright to cry. And it’s alright to regret and it’s alright to wish things were different. It’s natural. I myself have done my fair share of crying and regretting and wishing. It does not make you pathetic or weak. In fact, it only makes you stronger. Hiding how you feel will not help you move on. Bottling it all up won’t make the pain go away. It’ll make it worse. You need to be able to let it all out. Only then, will you be able to accept what has happened.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve also done my fair share of hiding. Of putting on a happy face and pretending I’m just fine. But your expression of grief does not have to be physical. You can write. You can sing. You can go shoot a mannequin with their face on it. Just let it out. You’ll feel so so so much better. We all have our different ways of coping. You just need to find yours and stick with it.

But whatever you do, don’t go back to them. If they have hurt you then they are not deserving of your love. This sounds cliche, like every poem by R.H. Sin, but it’s true. If they hurt you once, what’s to stop it from happening again. I know the thoughts that go through your head

They’ve changed

We’re working it out”

We never stopped loving each other”

And maybe those thoughts are true. But your heart is such a precious object. It is not for everyone and it is most certainly not worth the risk of getting broken again by the same person.

And maybe, these things I’m writing are all relative. Maybe writing this is less about convincing you but more about convincing me. As I said, I’m going through this too. And I sometimes want to return to him. And sometimes I really want to text him. But it helps me at least to remember that I’m not the only one. I’m not alone. People have felt what I am feeling and people have felt much worse. And I don’t need him to fulfill myself. And you don’t need them. You’re strong. You’re brave. You survived middle school for god's sake!

Perhaps, none of this is helpful to you. Maybe you think I’m just some heartbroken lunatic writing herself to sleep to keep from thinking about him. And you’re right, I am. But this is my way of coping. To talk about what happened. To put it into words. Maybe it’s not your way, and that’s okay. You’ll find your groove. 

But until then, I leave you with this very cliche quote-

Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be”.

Much love,

-Niko :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:53 pm
tgirly wrote a review...



This piece is so honest, and I love how you come from a place of personal experience, which keeps it from tilting preachy, because you're just talking about what you've been through and being extremely candid about it. When you're this honest, it gives you a great amount of ethos or credibility to discuss the subject at hand, especially with a topic like this that's so personal and can make people feel vulnerable.

I also like how you talk about how immediate the experience is as well. Instead of saying "I've been there", you said "I am there", which I thought made a normally cliche phrase take on new meaning and also increased your credibility.

The only critique that I would have for this piece is I think it might have been a bit vague/non-specific at points. It's definitely talking about a break up, but at other points it tends towards abstract as a way to connect with more people, but I think since the credibility is based off your personal experience, you just have to keep the scope of the article to the single circumstance of being dumped/rejected.

Thanks for sharing this; it seems like something you put a lot of thought and emotion into, and I love seeing examples of people using writing as a form of catharsis. It felt like healing.

Thanks!!

-tgirly




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 65
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 pm
Taleof6kids wrote a review...



Hey, Niko. Your title really caught my eye, and I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading this. Your tone was good...you stayed clear of sounding bitter or angry, and that made this easier and even enjoyable to read, if that makes sense. I guess I mean "enjoyable" in knowing that someone understands what it means to have your heart broken.

I really don't have any criticism for you in this piece. It's well done. Improvement, perhaps, could be made a bit in sharing more of your feelings and circumstances? As long as you keep the same tone (without bitterness or anger), I think a bit more of the experience would help the reader be able to relate even more.

The encouragement and advice you give is good, but could be more legitimate if we knew more of your own experience(s).

Otherwise, this is really good. Thank you for sharing and keep writing!





Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci