I am binary pt. I

by StudentAH

I once met a man

whom I didn't understand.

I wanted clarity,

He didn't want to marry me.

We pondered our thoughts,

contended,

and finally

We reasoned,

We concluded:

He's fluid,

And I'm binary.

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 am
ChrisDixon wrote a review...

Hola! I'm back again because your second poem was making me courious. I am once again very impressed by your poem, how you could make a thing that is a million peices in to one little ribbon like this poem. I love how you write this poem and I truly enjoyed time reading this and the other part of this poem.

We reasoned,

We concluded:

He's fluid,

And I'm binary.

I especailly love how you end this part of poem. And most of all, how you express gender binary and gender fluid as one who has a black and white mindset and the other gray!

Thank you for sharing this poem!

~ChrisDixon

StudentAH says...

Thank you for the review, but actually it is not about gender at all. I'm simply using the words fluid to describe a person who is always flaky and keeping people in the gray. And binary to describe a person who only sees two options (marry me or don't).

It has nothing to do with gender. People just think it does because the gender fluidity words are derived from "binary" meaning two, and fluidity meaning "more than two."

So yeah, I hope that wasn't confusing. I thought my last comment would clear it up.

StudentAH says...

Binary is a number system, and I guess the fluid person would be a bit like a quantum computer. If anything, that is a closer analogy.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm
StudentAH says...

This is *not* a reference to gender binary and gender fluid. Not in the slightest. This poem has no connection to that.

I say this because I think many people these days only are familiar with those terms because of genders. But binary simply means two options. And fluid means there is a gradient of possibilities in between. In my poem, this is a reference to one person who has a black and white mindset, and to the other person who keeps people in the gray.

So in this poem, it has really nothing to do with gender identities at all. The terms binary and fluid don't actually have anything to do with gender unless you put the word "gender" in front of it. This poem was meant to be completely independent of those ideas.

It is slightly frustrating to me that readers may not understand the context of my poem. Binary is a number system. I guess fluid would be like the quantum computers.

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson