An Old Request

by StudentAH

My dearest love,

Never leave me. 

Please wait for me. 

Do you want me to wait for you? 

I'll wait for you... 

Wait for you to say what you've always wanted to say, 

Wait for you to do what you've always wanted to do,

Wait for you to come to me

The way I came to you.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:18 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hello there! I wanted to give a quick review on this poem of yours. ^^ This review might not be the longest as this poem isn't the longest :p

As this is shorter, certain things play better. I think straight-forwardness can work alright with fewer lines, so this hits a sweet spot that isn't too dragging on without using much imagery/figurative language, while still being long enough to have some kind of story/meaning. I like the repetition used here, mostly as I view it as an attempt to reflect/allow for both parties in this apparent relationship to speak their mind, in using "wait for you" in four straight lines.

I think the unevenness of the lines is apparent, especially because there are ten lines in total. I would recommend to either combine a couple of these lines, such as "My dearest love, / Never leave me." or to add on a bit to these lines, as I think the longer/later lines work nicely in their own space. I would actually try to think about what kind of image you're imagining here, whether it's two people talking face-to-face, on the phone, in text messages, and then envision that as a poem, to make more unique lines.

I like the message a lot here, in that both people want to communicate and actually talk/listen to each other. I think this works in its current form, but I do think this could be tweaked with a little spin-of-things, or even with its formatting to emphasize the "wait for you" in a different way past using ellipses. I hope that helped! Nicely done.

StudentAH says...

Thanks for the review. I do see how the lines are uneven, and it does kind of throw off the poetic rhythm a little bit.

I really appreciate this review, there's a lot of great pointers here.

Plume wrote a review...

Hey! Silverquill here, with a review!

I really like this poem. The end, especially, stands out, with the last two lines. It overall kind of reminded me of the song "Love of My Life" by Queen, especially the first two lines. It's incredibly sweet (the poem, not the song), and it impeccably shows the love between two people.

One thing you do especially well is show the beauty of this relationship in just a few lines. I love how you say

Please wait for me.

Do you want me to wait for you?

I'll wait for you...

It really shows the level of consensual-ness of the relationship, and how it goes both ways. They both understand each other's limits, and will accommodate for the each other. Which is, again, incredibly sweet.

I also really loved the way the last two lines kind of rhymed with the one before them, with the "do" and "you." I also just really loved the last two lines. They're a perfect amount of poetic and just overall amazing.

I don't really have any specific issue with this. It's mainly the flow that I feel could be improved; it's a little inconsistent and I'm having a hard time determining how I'm supposed to read it.

Overall: this really embodied the phrase "short and sweet!" Keep writing!

StudentAH says...

Thank you so much. I have never heard that song from Queen but I'm sure its awesome.

And yes, I do agree with you on the flow issue. It was quite inconsistent at the beginning, but then at the end (after the ellipses) it kind of got better. I was debating between fixing the first 'stanza' and making it a little bit more fitting and rhyming, to match the second stanza, but I was almost unsure how to fix it, especially because its so vague.

Also, I appreciate that you could derive such an understanding of the relationship I was trying to portray. I find that many times, my readers point out stuff to me that I didn't realize was there, but was indeed there.

Thank you for the review! <3 Glad you liked it.

Hkumar wrote a review...

Hi StudentAH!

I am here for a quick review for your poem. This is a short and simple one but still it was appealing. A sense of longing could be felt in the tone the narrator who wants the presence of his/her loved one. The first three lines gives an impression that the narrator wants this other person to always stay but this dear one is leaving him and that's why the narrator urges to wait.
In the following lines, it feels like the narrator is trying to please the person by saying he's ready to wait for her to come back. To me it looks like he is trying to admit some of his faults he did in the past and now he's ready to let his dear one say and do, whatever this person always wanted.
I think the use of ellipses worked for me here as it kind of showed a change of mood of the narrator and gave a pause before jumping into the confession part. As for the improvement I will suggest you should add some imagery in this poem to give more intense feeling to the readers. I respect the fact that you tried to use simple language to show some raw emotions. There wasn't much information for the readers to analyse exactly what is happening but still you managed to create a nice mood here.
Overall, it was a good piece and I appreciate your work. All the best for future.

Keep writing :D

StudentAH says...

Thank you so much for the review! I appreciate you pointing out that there is not much imagery going on here, and I do see what you're saying. I haven't made much attempts to "beautify" the imagery and the poem, and I think that is a large part of poetry. I appreciate that you saw what I was going for, though, with the blank-ness and raw emotions with easy words.

Thanks a ton!

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"