VALOR - Chapter 2 - First Class and First Impressions

by ShallowHouse

Admission to Highmark Academy is simple: Pay the entrance fee which consists of a thousand yuls; the currency of Arisia. This is the simplest way of admission. Other ways include nepotism, social circles, sponsorships from alumni and authorities, famous people, and groups hailing either from fallen or falling houses of nobles and commoners who managed to scrounge up enough money to pay the entrance fee through legal -and sometimes illegal- means..

Suspicious as it may seem, Isenna, remembered her examination. Indeed, while she flunked her magic exam, she was more than capable of passing the written exam. At the very least, she should have been Class 3. Foul play must have been the reason for this. But before she could continue entertaining her thoughts, their professor entered the room.

"Good morning, class." His voice was like silk and as sweet as a nightingale's. "I'm your professor for your first period, Professor Jacques Weiss."

Wearing a sage green coat over a dress suit, he wrote his name on the blackboard as his blond hair that reached down his shoulders flowed like a river. "I graduated from Highmark Academy and went off to college, finishing a degree in Magic Engineering. I've been working here for three years as part of the faculty and as the advisor for the Magical Inventions Club." The professor's handwriting was so refined, he would have been mistaken for a calligrapher.

"For your first day, I will be teaching you the Basics of Conjuring Magic. As for how to conjure them… does anyone of you know?"

Isenna raised her hand as fast as she could.

"Yes, you, the young man at the left."

It seems that someone else had beaten her to the punch. She turned her head to her right and saw a boy who looked too lean and muscular to be the same age as her. On his face is an expression that says "I am better than you" no matter how you look at him.

"To conjure magic, one has to chant or call the element while doing something that would resemble the element they're using."

"Very good." the professor clapped at his answer. "And what about you, young lady?" he looked directly into Isenna's eyes.

"Who- me?" she stood up, panicking.

"Yes, you. Aside from what that young man had said, what else do you know about how to conjure magic?"

"...that's all I know as well, sir."

"Ah," Professor Weiss' voice turned to disappointment, "Well, let me tell you-"

He turned to the blackboard and spoke as he wrote.

"Magic is conjured in four phases: the essence, the resemblance, the command, and finally, the word." Isenna, as well as a handful of others, took this opportunity to take down notes. "The essence is the element of your choosing; whether it be fire, lightning, wind, earth, even sound. Let's use the Headmaster as an example. As you may recall, the essence of magic that he used earlier today was lightning.

After you've chosen the element you will use, you can now commence the second phase- which is the resemblance. Now some of you might be wondering why the Headmaster did that thing with his arms. For those less observative or those who didn't care to notice, he used his thumb to rub against his sleeve and that created an electric current. Thus, accomplishing his resemblance of the element!

Once you've created resemblance, then comes the intent. This is the most important part of conjuring magic since you're essentially 'borrowing' the elements. Now that you've powered up your magic using the resemblance, you have to command it. Your intent is imprinted into the elements and they will follow it to the dot. The Headmaster intended his lightning to shoot from his hands and into the great iron door behind you -but! He hasn't released it yet!

That's where the final ingredient- the word comes into play. The word completes the circle by materializing the element. Without the word, all three phases are rendered moot and you cannot unleash your intent. Now, are there any questions?"

The whole class was silent. Their eyes were dead set on the blackboard. The boys were suppressing their laughter with all their might whilst a lot of the girls, including Isenna, were very red and kept averting their eyes then looking back again. Confused, the professor looked at his illustration. He had been too focused on his explanation to even notice the… vulgarity of his… artwork- no, it wasn't an artwork. It can barely be called a doodle. 

"Oh my!" He muttered and took a deep breath. "Aero!

Noticing the professor racing to the eraser, most of the boys laughed out loud, pointing at the "essence" and "intent" that are inside two circles on top of each other. A large oval protruding from between the stack with "command" inside it, with the "word" on the end of the oval opposite to the two circles.

"I apologize for my lack of… artistic skills," Professor Weiss erased the blackboard, "but I do hope you understood the contents of my lecture…"

The class ended an hour later and as soon as the bell rang, most of Class 4 rushed out like dogs on the hunt for next period.

Professor Weiss had gone after them and Isenna was starting to pack up her things in preparation for the next class when she was approached by a girl. Catching a quick glance at her, she saw that the girl had rosy white skin, very sharp and serious eyes with small irises and her lips were plump and slightly open. From her perspective, she is the very definition of cold yet beautiful. Her dark-bluish hair shone under the afternoon rays reflected by the windows, giving her the silhouette and aura of an Ice Queen from fairy tales. Isenna felt a shiver down her spine as she stared back at her but she kept quiet. Both kept quiet.

A few seconds felt like hours when the girl finally opened her mouth, "You." It was a high-pitched, silky smooth voice befitting of her appearance.

"Uh… me?" Isenna felt relieved. A few more seconds under her icy gaze would have caused her to faint.

"I'm new here and it seems like you know your way around better than me so…" She looked down at her fingertips that were touching each other while keeping her face unmoving and her speech monotonous, "Would you like to be friends with me?"

'What?' Isenna thought to herself. Is she sarcastic? Is she serious? Does she have to go to the bathroom? All these thoughts bounced around her head until she heard the girl speak again.

"Nevermind. I'm sorry for the trouble." The blue haired girl turned around and walked away.

"Wait!" Isenna reached her hand out and violently stood up from her seat. "Yes, I would love to be friends with you! I also don't have a friend here. Well, maybe that one guy: Toren from Class 1 but that's all."

The blue haired girl turned around and crouched down in front of Isenna's desk.

"What are you do-" It seems that she was picking up Isenna's stuff. Stuff that fell from her bag because of her suddenly standing up. With an "Eep!", the girl helped Isenna pick up her things.

"I'm Yvie, by the way." She reached out for a handshake to which Isenna shook in a heartbeat. Her name was as beautiful as her face.

"I'm Isenna! Let's be good friends from now on!"

Though her face was still unmoving, the sparkle in her eyes, the vigor in her handshake and the beaming aura from within her was densely packed with warm radiance. Isenna felt suddenly hot from the aura. Or was it the atmosphere?.

"If it's alright with you, can we go to the next period together?"

"Sure!" Isenna nodded.

"Great."

"Wo-woah! Wait, wait!" 

It was too late- Isenna was swept away by the tug of Yvie's arm while barely able to snatch her bag. As she kept betting dragged by the blue-haired girl by the arm, she caught a glimpse of Yvie's face as she turned around.

Even though it was only for a split second… she was smiling. Or was she? She shook her head off of any impossible thoughts and looked forward for the next period. The future Agerlass, unknowingly walked towards the path to Hell…

Honora wrote a review...

Hey! I’m here as promised! A bit later then I would have hoped but better late then never! ;)

So, I don’t have too many things to point out. The only thing is when the Professor is speaking, each new paragraph needs a quotation mark at the very beginning. It’s just to remind the reader that he is still speaking. But that’s just a little mistake ;)

I really like this chapter of course. Nothing seemed forced and your really gave me an idea of the magic. It didn’t feel like an info dump and yet you still let us know a lot about it. That was very very well done so kudos to you.

Yvie sounds interesting. My spidey senses are going off tho so I don’t trust her XD maybe I should but I don’t. I get a funny feeling about her but I’ll see!

Keep up the good work!!

Your friend,
Honora

ShallowHouse says...

Thank you for explaining the paragraphed dialogue to me! I didn't know it works like that! I'm glad the info dump didn't feel like an info dump! Yvie will be a very prominent character huehue... Thank you so much for the review!! <3 <3 <3

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:19 am
JenTep wrote a review...

Yvie's motivation interests me now, especially with the cliffhanger at the end! A little more info on their first class professor would have been nice, this one part about his character doesn't set his status/reputation up in the best of light.

Perhaps have more build up to Yvie's sudden appearance?

The introduction to the world of magic was clear, good example of referencing/connecting a previous chapter to give it more importance! I like the improvement I'm seeing chapter to chapter. Good job!

Still looking forward to the prelude making a comeback!

Peace and blessings,
-J.T.

IconspicuoslyAlpacaing wrote a review...

Hey again! I'm baaaaaaaaaccckkk. This chapter was a marked improvement from Chapter 1! While there are still a couple choppy sentences and run-ons, or a missing comma here and there, it's much less frequent than before. (Needless to say, I'm really happy that you're showing improvement, not that the first chapter was bad at all, but this is great! :D) You've also got some pretty spicy foreshadowing at the end there... I can't wait to read the next chapter. (Kinda shipping Yvie and Isenna right now, not going to lie :P)

ShallowHouse says...

Omg I'm so sorry for the late reply! Yes, there's still a lot of work to be done and I'm slowly writing while keeping every advice in mind!
Those ARE spicy foreshadowing! ;3

ShallowHouse says...

Those ARE spicy foreshadowing! ;3

ShallowHouse says...

@Honora, hello! Here's the next chapter if you wanna read it! Sorry if I'm bothering you!

Honora says...

Not bothering me at all! Thanks for tagging me! :D

JesseWrites wrote a review...

Jesse here to review, so I'm hopping in now.

I see that you took time to create this world and the things within. The money was a small feature, but it gave another perspective.

Friendship is probably going to be the main subject based on Yvie's intro. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see no flaws, so good job.

Thanks,
Jesse

ShallowHouse says...

Thank you, Jesse! I'm happy that you see nothing wrong with my work (I triple checked everything!) Also, yes, you're right: friendship is a very important topic in the story and I'm just really happy the info dump wasn't boring! Huhuhu!

JesseWrites says...

Of course. It was a riveting chapter.

ShallowHouse says...

How do I call using this... @queenofscience hi! Here's the next chapter!

I read the chapter. :)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.