z

Young Writers Society



The Old Man And The Boy - Epilogue

by RandomTalks


Two days later there had been a funeral.

His father had cried, his mother and brother had cried, the latter not really needing a reason to burst into tears. And the boy had stood watching them bury the man who had been his friend. He wished there was some way he could let him know how loved he was, by his son, by him. He wished he had told him how much those afternoons had meant to him, how much he had meant to him, but he didn't know if he could find the right words even if he tried. Most of all, he wished for more time, but he knew it was futile.

Spending those afternoons with his grandfather had changed him, had made him a better person and when they asked at school what he had done this summer, he knew just what to say - this summer, he had become friends with his grandfather; and even if he wasn't there, he would always remember.

As he stood behind their bench now and looked at the water where the old man had always seen more than he could see, the boy realized that he was neither happy nor sad. The leaves rustled again, and the ripples in the water shone golden under the sunlight; the gentle hum of the water hitting against the shore, calming the most restless of minds. Looking around, he realized he would always have this place. He would always have the lake and the memories to come back to.

Breathing deeply, he turned around and walked away slowly, thinking about the picture that now hung in his bedroom. His parents would never know about the old man and the boy gazing into the sunset in the painting. He would keep the old man to himself, and he would stay in his memories, separated and confined from the rest of the world. No would stop to know, to understand or realize what it meant. To them, it would just be two random people from the busy world, drawn either from memory or imagination. 

But to him, it would always be the old man and the boy. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1064
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:29 am
Plus-One wrote a review...



So I made it to the end... I really like the story. I can really feel the emotion on it and the journey of the boy, but I think with a bit more focus on the old man's role in the story and some minor tweaks to how the interactions between the old man and the boy flow alongside events in the boys life, this would be incredible. I'm going to go broadly with how I see the story and what tweaks in that structure would make it all piece together so beautifully for me. There's a few ways I think you could get more out of the writing in different secto, but I think this parts most important...See what you think. ;)

So the main thing I think you need to dig into is the old man's role in the story and motives. The old man is someone who has a wiser perspective of the world, he's lived a rich life. Within that he's seen the darkest part of the human brain, and the worst part of humanity, and yet he has found a way to come to peace with it.

The old man is the antagonist, he's there to oppose the boys way of thinking to help the boy change and resolve his struggles.

As the boy is growing, the boy becomes aware that his struggles are not just internal feelings, they're also his parents struggles such as his Dad's relationship with his Grandfather The boy realises that to find some more peace he must also help his Dad find peace.

To be an effective antagonist and to emphasise the focus on the boy's healing, then I feel like the old man and the grandfather have to be different people. There is no sense of growth or resolution if he is the grandfather and also passes away.... As it means the old man is adding more pain by not letting the issues with the boys dad be resolved.

To me I feel a better motive for the old man is to do with the love you described. The old man feels at peace and accepting of everything in the world, except for his extreme regret that he let his love down. He is silently wallowing, and when he sees the boy he sees something that matches to how she was and how the old man has let her down and feels a strong desire to help the boy so that the old man can heal and forgive himself for letting his love down.

I feel like for this to resolve the most elegantly then the old man cannot be the grandfather, but there's some uncertainty about whether he is. When confronted about if he is, the man reveals that he isn't but he knew the grandfather. He is able to either guide the boy to the grandfather's place, or place of rest, and the boy is then eager and excited to show his dad and misses an afternoon at the lake for the first time all summer.

When the boy returns the next day excited to tell the old man, the old man isn't there and that's when he senses the loss.

The old man has resolved his regrets and found peace to move on, and the boy has healed and grown and started to truly see and feel the world for the first time. Even the sadness of the loss of the old man is comforting to the boy because it isn't the hollow sadness he felt at the start. It's deep and passionate and shows that he can love.




Plus-One says...


Sorry reading late at night again and I just read some of the flow and grammar in that review. %uD83E%uDD23



User avatar
542 Reviews


Points: 41664
Reviews: 542

Donate
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:37 am
Liminality wrote a review...



Hi RandomTalks! This epilogue was really moving. For first impressions, I read the overall tone of this last scene as melancholy, but filled with a hopeful acceptance.

Spending those afternoons with his grandfather had changed him, had made him a better person and when they asked at school what he had done this summer, he knew just what to say - this summer, he had become friends with his grandfather; and even if he wasn't there, he would always remember.

I thought these lines were really sweet, especially the phrase “had become friends with his grandfather”. I love how that depicts their relationship as a sort of active thing, like the boy went through a bit of a journey to get to know someone.

Looking around, he realized he would always have this place. He would always have the lake and the memories to come back to.

This makes me realise why the lake was so prominent as a setting in the previous chapters. I think it’s pretty cool to use that place as almost symbolic of the time he spent with the old man.

But to him, it would always be the old man and the boy.

Oh, the title drop on this one was really satisfying. It really emphasises that last point that the boy will always treasure his memories at that lake.

Characters

I like how this epilogue gives some closure to the boy’s character arc. It has been great to see him grow little by little to become a more mature person who is more considerate of others and sees beyond himself.

He would keep the old man to himself, and he would stay in his memories, separated and confined from the rest of the world.

This kind of gives the whole novella the vibe of being the snapshot of someone’s childhood. I think it also makes a lot of sense that the boy wouldn’t want to tell his parents he had met his grandfather without them knowing, especially since they are still grieving.

Thematically, I also love how the painting shows that the boy has learnt to appreciate ‘the present moment’. Now that he has captured a moment precious to him, he can keep it with him just like the old man kept his own memories.

Style

I really like the voice in this epilogue in particular. Even though the narration is still third person limited, focusing just on the boy’s point of view, there’s a bit of a sense that it projects into the future, with the “would”s in the ending, which gives the epilogue a sense of breadth or zooming out from the story.

Two days later there had been a funeral.

Although a lot of the previous chapters have been starting with a similar one-line-paragraph as the opening, I thought it worked particularly well here. It kind of carries the same numb sensation from the previous chapter when he found out the old man had passed, and I like that continuity.

As he stood behind their bench now and looked at the water where the old man had always seen more than he could see, the boy realized that he was neither happy nor sad.

Though the beginning of this sentence felt a little wordy to me, I like how the boy’s ambivalence is depicted here. It’s a simple, direct statement “neither happy nor sad” and it feels very sincere.

The leaves rustled again, and the ripples in the water shone golden under the sunlight; the gentle hum of the water hitting against the shore . . .

This bit of imagery gives an atmosphere of timelessness, which helps to illustrate the boy’s thoughts on how he wants to keep this place in his memory forever. I also like the subtle poetic sound devices here and there, like “rustled . . . ripples” and “shone . . . shore . . .” begin with the same sound. It creates a melodious rhythm.

That’s all

Overall, great work on writing this novella. I can’t imagine it was easy to write such a cohesive multi-chaptered story, so congratulations to you! Hopefully some of this feedback is helpful and feel free to ask me anything about what I said in this review.

Cheers and keep writing!
-Lim

Image
Banner courtesy of @ImaginativeAlice




RandomTalks says...


Thank you so much for all your reviews! They were more helpful than I can convey and I really appreciate it. Thanks again!



Liminality says...


Glad to hear they were helpful <3



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:40 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi RandomTalks,

Mailice back with another review! :D

The epilogue was a good conclusion to the story and I have to say that it is exactly what you expect from an epilogue; it is an addendum with some information about what happened after the story. I thought it was very good that you chose this short text here instead of inserting it in the last chapter.

Now that we have reached the end, I would like to say that I liked the whole story very much. I followed it from the beginning and saw how not only the boy and the old man changed, but also your writing style. You put a lot of effort over the chapters to come up with new ways to make the story more interesting and especially in the last 3 - 4 chapters it was clear to see that you were using completely new styles to make the story more lively.

I liked reading the short story. I liked that you kept the story vague in many ways, such as the names of the characters. I found this gave the reader the feeling of having a sort of "silent" protagonist in front of them, and it also made it easier to empathise with them. A really great point that I can only keep repeating is how you managed to portray this change in the boy so easily. You used the first few chapters to show him as he was and without realising it straight away, you created the transition to this new character.

I thought it was really well written and I feel like your focus is also to show that the boy has changed - as a kind of final gift from the old man. But he has changed too; he has spoken out and given voice to his soul. I strongly suspect that this was also a good plot element, not only for the boy but also for the old man.

What I didn't like so much was the relationship, that it was slowly but clearly apparent that the two were related. As I said, that's a stylistic element that you use, but I thought it took away a bit of that magic that was developing there at the beginning. I think you could have developed something like two storylines there, the first between the boy and the old man who are not related, and a separate storyline between the father and the boy's grandfather. Even though the latter is in second place, you could perhaps have always included some paragraphs at the end of a chapter where the father tells that his father is on his deathbed in hospital, and give some kind of self-reflection there as well.

Since this is only my suggestion, you don't have to adopt it, of course. In the end, even with this rather clichéd point, it was a wonderfully presented story that I really enjoyed reading.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




RandomTalks says...


As always, thank you for the review and for staying with this until the end. I kind of get your take on their relationship, it is too predictable and I thought so too. I just couldn't come up with an alternate ending that would tie things up better. I like your idea of the two storylines though. Anyways, thanks for all the help!



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:58 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Heyyyyyyy! Forever here for a review!

What should I really say except that the story was so good and I am more than 200 percent honest in that. It's how you kept me hooked from the very first chapter till this epilogue.

The journey to which you took your readers too was quite exciting and yes, copying it from the boy, it was a break from the real and the busy World. The way the truth dawned was really very sad and he... He accepted it was quite courageous and yes, the old man has an immense contribution behind that too. He was the one who taught him how to accept things.

And this epilogue was beautiful. I loved how you didn't provide a long time span in between. His telling in the School was quite brave. To tell something about the old man would surely be a quite saddening task for him and he successfully did that. He got the nerve to speak about him. We can clearly see how affected he was by the fact that he didn't even cry at the day of the funeral.

That was a pretty little conclusion there.

Overall, I barely have words to express how great it actually was. Er... I know, it's not so good to say that in a review but when I read a great piece, I am left speechless.

Keep Writing!

~Forever




RandomTalks says...


Thank you so much for staying till the end of journey and always giving me the feedback I need to get on with my writing. I am so glad you liked the story! It came from the heart, and the knowledge that other people liked it as well means the world to me. Thank you!



RandomTalks says...


Also, I cannot believe I wasn't following you before. Not sure how that happened!




Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud