z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Lethean Queen

by Pencil2paper


The lethean queen, how little she knows,
About her subjects, about thier woes.
Of the sulfurous pits in which men work,
Through the poisonous gas and through the murk.
Earning a meager ten cents' a day,
They long for the day thier cruel queen will pay.
Dissenters of your reign are killed, become liquidescent,
An example to all whom are present.
Oh, how your face would pallor,
If you could only see the horrors you have caused, just for one hour.
And if you do finally remember, 
You will choose to forget, to surrender. 
For truth is the worst thing to know,
For this reason the lethean  queen always forgets, and hides the truth deep below. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 am
Cailey wrote a review...



Hello there, Cailey here with a review!
Alright, nice poem, nice topic. So true that there are too often people in power who know nothing about the people they rule over. You do a nice job of telling the reader this and explaining that even if the queen saw what was happening she would just forget.
I have a few nitpicks, so here they are.

"become liquidescent" A lot of times people tell you to use big fancy vocab and it will make your writing sound better. In this case, at least, I disagree. I think that having this giant word that I can't even pronounce (okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little about the bigness of it) in any case, it doesn't seem to fit. It's just stuck there on the end of the line and I don't think it belongs. It's the kind of word that the snotty-doesn't-care-about-her-people kind of queen would use, not the kind of word that people against that queen would know.

"If you could only see the horrors you have caused, just for one hour." Just for one hour seemed out of place here. It interrupts the flow of your poem, and while I know that it fit the rhyme scheme and goes with the poem, it also ruins the rhythm. Maybe you can find a way to fix that without compromising the other?

"For this reason the lethean queen always forgets, and hides the truth deep below."
This isn't necesarily a bad sentence, but it's not a great ending. It's longer than the others, it sounds awkward, and it doesn't really tie in the poem. I mean, the idea of it does, but it's also just not worded as well as it could be.

Hope this all made sense and helped!




Pencil2paper says...


Thanks Cailey. As far as using the word liquecent, I was writing it for a poetry contest on the site and that was one of the words I had to use. I agree completely and looking back at the poem, it seemed a lot better at 1 am when I wrote it. Thanks for the review, and if you ever need a review just let me know!
~Pencil



User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 10056
Reviews: 92

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 am
Wherethewindgoes wrote a review...



I think you did a really good job on this. I like the rhyme; however, a few times the flow is interrupted by the syllables, which I will point out below.

The lethean queen, how little she knows,
About her subjects, about thier woes.


That should be "their woes". Besides that, good starting lines.

Earning a meager ten cents' a day,
They long for the day thier cruel queen will pay.


Firstly, "cents" shouldn't have an apostrophe. It isn't possessive, just plural.
Also, that should be "their cruel queen.
Also, the word "day" is used twice in two lines. I would suggest replacing one of those.

Dissenters of your reign are killed, become liquidescent,
An example to all whom are present.


Here, the syllables are off and makes these two lines awkward. The first line is longer than the others, and thus, I think, should be cut down.

For truth is the worst thing to know,
For this reason the lethean queen always forgets, and hides the truth deep below.


I like these lines, but once again, the second is longer than the first, and thus the syllables don't line up. With a rhyming scheme such as you have, I think it's important to have the syllables align.
Besides those corrections, I like the poem and the idea presented of the queen not being able to cope with the truth of what she is doing. Good job, and good luck with any future poems!




Pencil2paper says...


Thanks, Where. I will definitely try to do a better job on matching up the syllables next time. By the way, if you ever need a review, just let me know!
~Pencil



User avatar
662 Reviews


Points: 52441
Reviews: 662

Donate
Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 am
dogs wrote a review...



Hey there Pencil! Dogs here with your review. Let me just say congratulations on submitting to the poetry contest, I believe you are the last or the second to last submission. Also, do note that all of my comments are extreme nit picks, because everything I've read is so incredibly good that I really got to do some nit picking to find stuff that's wrong. Let's dive in to it now shall we?

To start, good use of "lethean" here, I certainly didn't expect it to be used in this manner and it definitely put a different spin from what I was expecting on the piece, I always love a good spin. Smooth use of the word here, nice job. Quick little note here, you don't have to capitalize every single line of the sentence, it is just more visually stimulating to look at a variation of sizes in capitals and lower case letters. Just me tho and entirely up to your own discourse.

"Of the sulfurous pits in which men work,"

Good smooth use of "sulfurous," doing a swell job of incorporating your prompts into your poem smoothly. So far your rhyming hasn't been an issue, but it falls of the wagon a tiny bit. I'll get there in a moment.

"the poisonous gas and... "

Ok, super nit picky, but I think you could use a stronger word instead of "poisonous" that is less syllables also. Maybe try "toxic, noxious, vitriolic," Just throwing out random ideas here.

"They long for the day thier cruel queen will pay."

I'm not sure why, I think that this line bugs me because of the word choices and the length in comparison with the last line. In rhyming poetry you have to be careful about keep the lengths of each line relatively the same, otherwise the poem loses it's rhythm in the rhyming. Also I think you could find a stronger word than "cruel," maybe "sadistic," or "savage" or something along those lines.

"Dissenters of your reign are killed, become liquidescent,"

Firstly, it's liquescent, simple misspelling error and not a huge deal. Also, this is the only time that your given word sounds a little out of place and forced. It sounds like your just using it as a substitute for "liquid." Try looking up this word and seeing how it's used in different sentences and try to incorporate it into your piece a little bit more smoothly. Although excellent job on all the other words. Great vocab with "dissenters."

Love your use of "pallor" here, used smoothly and like it just belongs in your poem. Excellent job there.

"If you could only see the horrors you have caused, just for one hour."

This line is far too long in comparison to your poem. Try to cut down the words wherever possible. Maybe try saying: "If she could see the horrors caused, just for an hour"

"and if you do finally remember"

This is the only time where your plot seems a little out of it, just because I'm not sure what "you" is remembering. Also I assume the "you" is towards the lethean queen, but I'm not positive. Also, if you are referring to the queen, you have to refer to her as "you" throughout the entirety of the poem.

The last line is a great line to end it on, but the only problem I have is that it's unusually long in comparison to the rest of the poem. Try to omit all useless words in that line whenever possible. All and all some great writing, excellent use of the words and incorporating it into your writing. Enjoyed reading your poem :) Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032




Pencil2paper says...


Thanks for reviewing Dogs! I did mean to have 'you' as the lethean queen, but I guess I wasn't that clear on that and wasn't very consistent with the the POV (switching from 3rd to 2nd). I actually got the idea from a Doctor Who episode where a queen would press a 'forget' button every time she remembered the awful things she had done as queen. Thanks again for the review and if you ever need a review just let me know!
~Pencil




I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro