12+

Republican Fairytales

by PenPacifist

Hello, children. My name is Heidi Cruz, and I’ve got two girls your age! To prepare for the 2020 election, I’ve decided to show your voting parents how wholesome of a family we can be; two beautiful daughters, an active mommy, a loving father who in absolutely no way is a serial killer from California in the 60’s and 70’s. I’ve decided to gather you kiddos up and read you some of my girls’ favorite fairytales. (Heidi picks up the book and points to every word she reads aloud). This book is called A Treasury of Republican Fairytales.

(Clears throat) Let’s start with “The Little Mermaid”. Once upon a time, in the bottom of the ocean, lived a beautiful mermaid princess named Ariel. She was only sixteen years old when she wanted to fulfill her womanly duties of becoming a wife, but there was a problem. The handsome prince Eric, the man she was in love with lived on land, and Ariel lived in the sea. To fix this problem, she decided to meet with Ursula, the sea witch. Ursula agreed to give Ariel legs for three days under one condition. “I’ll give you legs,” she offered, “but in return, you must give me your voice. You will not be able to speak with your prince.”

“That’s perfectly ok!” Ariel agreed, “I’m a woman; I shouldn’t have a voice anyway!”

“Little Red Riding Hood”. After being rescued from his tummy, a traumatized Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother decided to take the wolf to court for eating them. The wolf’s lawyers, however, asked Little Red and her grandmother if they looked good to eat that day or if they made the wolf think they wanted to be eaten. When called to stand, the wolf claimed Little Red and her grandmother never said they didn’t want to be eaten; so he assumed they did. In the end, the wolf was not sent to jail because they feared the severe impact it would have on him.

“Rapunzel”. Once upon a time, in a cottage in a faraway kingdom, lived a poor middle class husband and wife. They were expecting a baby. The wife, being very pregnant and very hungry, craved nothing but the vegetables in the garden next door. Every day, she would send her husband to fetch the greenest of the batch to eat for herself. Little did they know, that garden belonged to an angry witch who decided to take their future baby as punishment for breaking into her property. Bad things happen when you enter gardens. So children, that’s why to this day, we have Mexicans do the gardenwork.

(Heidi checks her watch) Well, kids that’s all the time I’ve got for today. I hope you enjoyed spending this time with me; I sure loved being with you. If you enjoyed this, please be sure to tune in next week for my rewritten version of “Aladdin” without the crop-tops and the Arabs.. 

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:28 am
Mea wrote a review...

Thought I'd go ahead and leave a review on this today. Just a preface: I realize this is entirely satire and that you don't necessarily think all or even most Republicans think these sorts of things. Also, unlike previous reviewers, I actually like it short - get in and get out with your joke before it gets old.

With that being said, this could be far better. Frankly, although the fairy tale spin is new, this is old, tired satire that I've seen dozens, if not hundreds of times. Oh look, the racist, sexist, in fact (to borrow a word) deplorable Republicans who want all women to stay in the kitchen and hate minorities. Who excuse rape if the woman was "provocatively dressed." This is pretty much the entire basis of the Democratic campaign against Trump, and I hear this in some form about right-wingers nearly every day.

So. Be inventive. Look deeper. Make new connections, thing of things you haven't seen before, things that aren't parroted so often, the things you can't find in cute little posts on Facebook. Yes, the fairy-tale dressing is new (and I really do like it as an idea), but that doesn't excuse the unimaginative societal commentary.

I didn't find the Little Red Riding Hood story very funny, although the other two were because of the timing of the joke. I think it just needs a little reworking - that one doesn't feel like it has a punchline, aside from general absurdity, whereas the other two definitely do.

We now digress into my personal opinion and a wider discussion than just this work. Feel free to disregard it if you don't want to expand your style in the way I propose.

There is another way you could do better, set yourself apart from the general trend, and that is, honestly, to not satirize Republicans in this divisive way. To clarify, I'm not saying that I find this sort of thing inherently bad or wrong, or that people shouldn't satirize political parties. However, in today's political climate, I feel that this sort of satire is not needed and is even harmful - and not just to Republicans.

Let me explain. This is how Republicans feel: that they are being demonized. They are all being lumped together in the basket of "deplorables," called racist and sexist and every other character attack the left-wing media can think to throw at them regardless of whether or not it applies. These are people from all walks of life, (including women and minorities!) many of whom are struggling, and they keep being told they're privileged and/or terrible people because of the way they vote. Regardless of why they vote that way. Regardless of what their actual views are on any topic. For example, yes, some people want to crack down on immigration because they're racist. Many, many others, however, are desperately trying to find a job and all they can see is thousands of jobs being taken by people who aren't supposed to be here.

I'm not trying to say all this is correct - this is just how these people feel. And I believe this is why so many Republicans side with Trump: because they're fed up. They're tired of not being listened to, they're tired of being called terrible people when they're not, and so they want a revolution.

Anyway, so that's why I don't think this sort of satire is what's needed today. Even though I *know* this is satire, I can't help but feel that little more ostracized, that little more unheard when I read things like this, and I'm not even strictly Republican. In another time, it wouldn't matter. But right now, I think it does.

So what could you do? Don't give up satire - but maybe change your messages slightly. If you satirize just one group, you could pick more harmless stereotypes. Like a Republican that owns twenty guns or something (though that one's also a cliche) and let us laugh at it. Not in a "oh, this guy is so stupid and ignorant" way but a "look at all the funny things he does" way. Same if you want to satirize Democrats. In general, stay away from attacks on character and stick to attacks on their policies, i.e. the types of changes they generally vote for. Also, it's never a bad idea to throw in a few jabs at whoever you're *not* satirizing at the time.

For example, this is pretty much my favorite political satire ever. It takes plenty of jabs at both sides and doesn't attack character, but makes lots of good points about the policies of both sides. It's also really funny. (It was released a few years ago, so not really anything about current events.)

phpBB [media]

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Again, these are all just my opinions, and take or leave what you want from them. I'm not trying to tell you you have to change. :) I think you have a lot of potential as a writer (my favorite part of this was "without the crop-tops" because I'm a girl that does prefer modesty, and you didn't frame it as "oppressing women", so it was just funny.) Good luck with future endeavors, and keep writing!

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 pm
EverStorm says...

... Hey. So while I found these stories amusing and written pretty well (in my opinion you should have made it longer because there is very little to... Work with.) I just wanted to let you know, these kinda hurt my feelings... Because I am republican and I dont think women should be silent, i think they should get to pick their lifestyle, and I just happen to want to be a stay at home mom as opposed to a career woman. I respect career women a lot because they are strong and smart and just awesome. But I am also strong and smart, I just have a different lifestyle. And I dont even know how to respond to the red riding hood one because i assume youre using it as a metaphor for rape. Let me know if it is or not, (if so, i think that people who say Victims, i say victims because i am aware it happens to boys and girls, should "enjoy it" or were "asking for it" are soulless bastards) And for the last two, no one i know is racist and thinks that poc should have stereotypical lower class jobs. My opinion is that I shouldnt have to support anyone,race and gender regardless, if they arent doing literally everything they can to rise above their situation. So if they buy booze and drugs, they are using money that could be Put in savings or used to buy clothes and food and school supplies or pay tuition, on something unhealthy and in the long run, utterly worthless, they are wasting resources and dont actually care. If they are doing evething they can and it still isnt enough, by all means i will help them all i can. At least in my church, we try to help all we can. We even have a free addiction recovery program. We have storehouses for people who need help. We have classes on how to budget and places that help them get jobs. But only people that actually care use them.

But you do have a great writing style, and even though I didnt like the content because of personal opinions, you are great at writing satire.

If this hurts your feelings, I will gladly remove my opinions from this comment, because honestly, I think you're a great writer and Id like to be friends, but I also wanted to you to know my feelings and why. I hope we can be friends still.

PenPacifist says...

Hello! Thank you for reviewing my work.

Like I told the previous person, this is 100% satire, and the opinions were stressed to extremism for comedic effect. I am obviously aware not every Republican thinks so conservatively. However, I didn't just get these ideas out of nowhere. The Republican party is known for being the more conservative party with the more old-fashioned appeals,and I know a very popular political candidate who has very strong opinions about Mexicans. I didn't just wave my wand, think of offensive things, and label them as things Republicans think.

You don't need to defend yourself. I am more than aware not every Republican is so extreme. But this is satire, and satire is extremism. This is also political satire, and political satire is usually biased.

I'm glad you enjoyed my style of writing. I'm sure you are very talented as well.

EverStorm says...

Alright :) We do value traditional ideas. But we also think people should be treated equally. You have a lot of talent.

(We hate Trump too, we just happen to hate Hilary more XD)

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Have you ever read the "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories" by James Finn Garner, your tales reminded me of that book.

Generally I think that your piece was fairly humorous, although I must say the Red Riding Hood story is pushing it a little bit for me. The vast majority of Republicans, do not condone sexual assault and although the other stories are equally untrue for the general population (Republicans also do not generally think women are bad, or that Mexicans should only do garden work etc) I can at least understand how Republican policies could warrant those critiques and satire. The Red Riding Hood is just pushing it too much for me though. I'm not saying that you don't have a well written piece here, but I would say that implying that an entire political party supports sexual assault is a bit much. I could go into how its the Democrats who have policies and politicians are more in line with that sort of critique, but I'm not even going to go there because honestly I don't think it's an unwarranted and potentially hateful accusation against most people.

Best of luck in future writing! And of course, please note that I'm not trying to be overly critical here, just pointing out what other audience members may potentially take away from the piece. Have a good day.

~alliyah

PenPacifist says...

Hi! Thank you for you review; you have a right to your opinion.

The Red Riding Hood Story was a direct reference to the Brock Turner case; which isn't a direct Republican issue. However, if you have been looking at recent politics Donald Trump has been facing numerous accusations of sexual assaults, and the Republican Party, through my observations, has been generally dismissing this. Again, this piece was purely satire, and obviously I know not all Republicans think this way. This was stressed for rediculousness.

Thank you for your review.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 am
Cathe993 wrote a review...

Hi, Cathe993 here!

First, I think your stories are hilarious. They do reflect some of the political points of view and situations today.

For "Rapunzel", I think there's a typo--there shouldn't be another paragraph.

I assume your work is for readers who are already familiar with the stories; otherwise please introduce Prince Eric in "The Little Mermaid".

The title is "Republican Bedtime Stories", but maybe you should change it--I don't see anything "bedtime" about the stories.

Overall, there isn't much to say about your writing except WOW!

I hope you keep writing.

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus