Home » Literary works » Poetry » Satire

Punk Song #246

by MrTalljoker

We're so edgy

blah, ba, blah!

Say it all

for the news!

Screw the _______s

shoot 'em too!

We're just like

you and you!

We're so like

you and you!

We're fully fake!

Same ol' hate! 

Buy our albums!

Fill our banks!

Now you're rebels!

Ain't it great?!

We're just like

you and you!

We're so like

you and you!

We're so edgy

blah, ba, blah!

We're so vapid

blah, ba, blah!

We're so empty

blah, ba, blah!

Just like

so like

you and you!

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 am
Willard wrote a review...

Hey, yo, MrTallJoker! Strange here on this Thursday night and I have a review for you!

Punk music! I love it. I enjoy older punk music along with newer punk music, such as Titus Andronicus, F[REDACTED] Up, Jay Reatard, etc.. They're all great, along with bands like Black Flag or Fugazi. It's a movement that has influenced my teenage self, and I am glad it has. It offers counter culture bliss that is awesome.

Of course, punk bands more likely than not end up selling out. Reel Big Fish legitimately sold out. Descendents are releasing a new album tomorrow? I tried listening to the new Blink 182 but they weren't really super punk to begin with. That being said, that where my problem with this poem lies. Its sentiment. I can agree with it, but at the same time I can't. It's the way you present it that hits a wrong note. Let's jump into this, shall we?

We're so edgy

This is edgy. I know how you're sarcastically saying it, but still. Edginess can come off as "I am not for this! Haha! ANTI ESTABLISHMENT", and with bands that you're talking about, it is true. One hundred percent. However, you're doing the exact same thing to prove your point. There's no subtlety at all. Right off the bat, the lines are blurred.

Say it all

for the news!

Screw the _______s

shoot 'em too!

This part I can agree with. I don't know if you are aware, but Nathan Williams from Wavves did that a few weeks ago. He said that no Trump, All Lives Matter, Homophobia, Cop etc. supporters are allowed at their shows. That is edginess, that is saying it for the news, that is true. That's where I agree with you. However, at the same time, would the best way to combat their "anti"-everything attitude for the fans would be doing the same thing? Making fun of it? It could be cleverly portrayed in other ways than this. I understand your anger, but it isn't the best option.

We're just like

you and you!

We're so like

you and you!

Also another problem I have is that it's not thematically consistent. Sometimes you mock them "OH KILL THE COPS", things like that. At other times, you insult them. "We're fully fake!". Consistency should matter because it becomes confusing. The part that I quoted, I have no idea which side it falls on. It would help my simple mind figure things out.

Fill our banks!

Now you're rebels!

I'll comment on this later.

We're just like

you and you!

We're so like

you and you!

We're so edgy

blah, ba, blah!

We're so vapid

blah, ba, blah!

We're so empty

blah, ba, blah!

Just like

so like

you and you!

I had to quote the rest of this because it continues to repeat the same message continuously. The message of this is that Punk, current Punk, are whiney, sell outs, shallow, everything like that. At the same time, you're doing it. You're making a point, but you're also not one upping them. You're doing the same thing. It comes off whiney, shallow, what punk songs are like now. That's a good thing, but you're not proving yourself to be above it.

When it comes to selling out, every band sells out. Every band needs money. Few musicians have taken that approach before, where they don't want to sell albums. Bomb the Music Industry! is a great, recent example. But, thing is, punk is profitable. It's good, it's easy, it's accessible. When you have a "skill" that you could make a living off of, it seems like the only reasonable option. All bands have to do it.

There are even some modern punk bands that are proud with what they do, and they aren't bad because they make money off of it. Jeff Rosenstock, PUP, G.L.O.S.S. sometime in the future, Modern Baseball, it isn't all bad. There is some light in what seems like a "destroyed" genre. Sure, the DK reunion and Descendents new album is kind of ridiculous, but it was inevitable.

Overall, I'm 50/50 on this poem. I can kind of get behind the sentiment, but the way you portrayed it didn't help convince me. I apologize if I have rubbed you the wrong way at all, I'm only offering a critique on what could possibly make this better.

Keep writing and stay groovy!

MrTalljoker says...

As soon as I posted this, I knew I was going to get that comment "NEW PUNKS NOT ALL BAD!" I know it's not, I never stated this, I never would. I'm a huge fan of GLOSS, I think "We Cool?" by Jeff Rosenstock is one of the greatest punk releases in years, and I'm a supporter of any up and coming punk acts that I find and enjoy, irregardless of petty "sell out" debates.

I've never said it was a destroyed genre. As much as I love the Misfits, Dead Kennedy's, and Bad Religion, I highly disagree with anyone who looks at that whole of the genre, picks a few albums from from the 19 whatevers and disregards the present by stating "They just don't make 'em like they used to." It's honestly a small minded practice and makes it impossible to see how a genre grows with the times and become something no one, not even the classics, could even hope to be.

I'm not trying to change minds, I'm not trying to say "WRONG, IT ALL SUCKS!" with this poem. The whole point is, it's a joke. I'm writing something that makes fun of the genre I love so much. There's plenty of good in punk, but like every form of art, it's got it's cliques. This poem is simply making fun of them, not admonishing the genre as a whole.

Finally, I do thank you for taking the time review my poem. I much appreciate the part where you pointed out the change from mocking to insulting, I'll have to consider that for editing. But I would recommend, for future critiques, don't assume something of the author unless you can give proper evidence to support it. I don't feel at any part I made or suggested a hatred for modern punk with this poem. Now maybe you could make a case that I did somewhere, but as it stands, your review suggested that because I was making fun of punk, that must mean I think it's a "destroyed" genre. That punks all bad except for the classics without giving any explanation as to how, from the words of the poem, you came to this conclusion. I can guarantee you that if you were giving a critique in an academic environment and used such forms of argument you would be scoffed off the stage.

Again, thank you for your time.

Willard says...

Oh, I apologize that I didn't really understand that. Glad you're a Jeff Rosenstock fan, though!

Have a nice day!

Willard says...

Actually, I'd like to form a more proper response. No disrespect at all, of course.

Where exactly I got my argument is this reply;

"This poem is mostly pointed at stuff like the mondern incarnations of the Misfits and Dead Kennedys which spit in the face of what the movement is by being these fake, store bought rebels and lack that genuine fire they once had.
"

Now I'm not saying that you specifically called it destroyed, but you did comment on how they lack the fire that they once had. 'Modern incarnations being fake, store bought rebels' was what made me come to the conclusion that you were calling it a dead genre. Or a bad genre now. With that clarification in the response before this, I know what you mean.

At the same time, it was a reasonable assumption. Yes, of course in an academic environment I won't make assumptions with no basis. But this is poetry, and as a consumer I'm supposed to make assumptions on what I think the poem really means. Certain word choices and all that.

I felt as if you made a case for it being a destroyed genre because you compared it to older bands below. Not destroyed as a whole, but mainstream consumerism is dead. I apologize that I got it wrong, but that's how I viewed it from a critical viewpoint. As shown, I didn't see it the way you wanted me to. However, I also didn't fully clarify my exact reasoning for those claims; putting backstory to text.

I do hope you have a nice day.

Willard says...

*mainstream punk bla bla bla running off no sleep

MrTalljoker says...

I don't care that you didn't see the poem like I see it, of course you're not going to. It's art, as soon as something's released it doesn't matter what the author thinks. Everyone has different interpretations of what the same thing might mean. Just look at the bible, one book with the same words has literally a million different sub groups that all think the same words mean something wildly different. I'm happy that you read it and you had your own opinions about it. I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument on what the subject matter is about. It's easy to say something has so and so meaning, it's a whole other issue of actually proving it.

For example, I could say Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss is clearly about domestic abuse. That clam could very well be valid, just as long as I could back the statement up with proof from the text from the actual book along with explanations of how I came to this conclusion. Even if Dr. Seuss himself heard my argument and said "No, it's not about domestic abuse, it's about not being too picky." If the argument is well reasoned and explained, why can't it not be about domestic abuse? This line of artistic critique always comes down to the thought that every creator of a work will eventually die, but they're works are immortal, they're meaning malleable to the perception of the viewer. Every perception is just as potentially valid as the next gaining or losing legitimacy due to the arguments for or against it.

So taking this, your example of why my work was clearly against modern punk was another comment I made to a review. It doesn't even matter if the comment said something like "I H8 SELL OUTS BRO! DOWN WITH NEW PUNK! MISFITS FOR LIFE BRO!!!" your interpretations evidence is weak. Not because I disagree with it, but because you fail to explain how the poem, not the author, says this.

KingQueenKnave wrote a review...

At the time of this writing, the YWS quote on the bottom of this page is be none other than Rene Descartes: "I think; therefore, I am". However, that does not impress me. What does impress me is your poem, which is a damning indictment of the hypocrisies of the punk rock scene, especially mainstream pop punk.

Punk rock is, by its very nature, radically left-wing and openly criticises capitalism. Only two bands I can think of, Dead Kennedys (before their pathetic reunion minus their singer) & Fugazi put their money where their mouths were. Others either "sold out" whilst maintaining their rather holier-than-thou Marxist rhetoric, or "sold out" whilst abandoning said rhetoric and pretending as if it never happened. Your poem illustrates the idea of rebellion as a means to "fill" the banks of the self-proclaimed rebels, who claim to represent the masses even when the masses don't care about them.

I am unsure what the author's musical tastes are- if they are anti-punk rock or dislike the politics of punk rock while liking the music- but regardless this poem is incredibly scathing and satirical. It has a timelessness to it that prevents it from being a relic, as this poem details a topic as old as the hills- the idea of "non-conformists" conforming to their own dogmas whilst proclaiming that they have no dogma, but "the truth".

It can get obnoxious at times, though I imagine this was intentional. With that in mind, I applause your attack on this rather dwindling and pathetic movement. Keep up the good work.

Resist the resistors, baby!!!

MrTalljoker says...

I thank you for your review and its praises. Just to clarify, yes Im into punk music. This poem is mostly pointed at stuff like the mondern incarnations of the Misfits and Dead Kennedys which spit in the face of what the movement is by being these fake, store bought rebels and lack that genuine fire they once had.

Again, thank you.

Rebellion with barcodes.

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare