Fool Without A Master (Chapter 15 Part 2)

by MissGangamash

“Why are you even here?” I asked down at the water.

He sighed heavily, brushing my hair from my face with the cloth. “You know how I just love to heal your wounds.”

“I’m still mad you.” My eyes found his. His jaw clenched and he rested his forearms along the bath’s edge. He was dressed in a white shirt with an embroidered deep blue and gold waistcoat. The matching coat was draped over my bed. It appeared to be a ‘dressed down’ version of what he had worn at the ball.

“I know. And I deserve it.”

“Don’t do that.”

“Do what?”

“Give in so easily.”

“What would you rather me do?”

I ran my tongue over my teeth, my anger swelling painfully in my chest. “Let me be mad at you. I have every right to be.”

He said nothing to that. The mix of the heat of the bath and my own temper had my heartbeat pounding in my ears so fiercely I thought I may have missed his reply. But when I looked at him through my hair, his head was bent, fingertips delicately tracing the murky water.

“You made me feel like a plaything back in your room. Just something to keep you entertained. To distract you.” Tears swelled in my throat. “I know I am that for everyone else. I know most people don’t even see me as a person. But you were always different. You made me feel different. You made me feel real.”

His eyes found mine once more and my heart thudded violently in my chest at the pain displayed so openly in them. His brows furrowed, lips trembling.

“You made me feel like a person,” I forced through my tears.

“You are more than that to me.” A fierce surety sharpened his gaze as he locked eyes with me. “You know that.”

His jaw worked again, lips parting to form words but they died on his tongue. Those lips. I couldn’t help but recall how they tasted. How they pressed against my own with such bruising passion that all thought escaped me. Everything escaped me. The whole world melted away and it was just him, him, him.

The way he grabbed me. His big hands gripping me against his body. His possession over me. I had relished in every frivolous second of it because I was his, his, his.

My eyes clenched shut and I felt my salty tears slip down my cheeks and sucked in a hiss of pain as they found my cut lip. How foolish I had been. It hadn’t been passion that had lifted me off the ground, pinning me between the cold marble and his warm chest. It hadn’t been his desperate want for me that had had him panting for breath. It had been anger. It had been a need for escape. It had been the exhilaration of finding something mindless and numbing to get lost in.

The bathwater swirled around my arm as his hand slid through it to reach for me. I jerked back and the water smashed against the wooden floor behind me.

“Get out,” I gritted out in a voice so poisonous my body flushed with gooseflesh.

He froze beside me. “Wally.”

His nickname for me had never sounded so insulting. I tilted my head just enough to catch his eyes. He shrank back at the blazing fury I could only hope he saw in my gaze.

“I said get out.”

“At least let me help you out. You might hurt yourself-”

“You’ve done enough!” I screamed, lurching to my feet. Water dropped off me in a sheet, slapping to the floor. The room spun. Black flecks swarmed my vision and I stumbled, my legs unable to support my weight.

“Please, Wally!”

I felt his hands on my shoulders, setting me straight but my vision was still swimming. My arms lifted to swat him away but they weighed too much. His body was then against mine, his side supporting me. He cupped the back of my knee and helped me out of the tub. I followed his guidance and let out a breath of relief when both of my feet met solid – wet – ground.

Shivers suddenly assaulted me. My teeth clattered together as Kaspar’s fingers carefully pulled my hair from my face. He was beginning to piece together before me but once I was able to focus on his concerned gaze, another wave of revulsion ripped through me.

I pushed him- well, I attempted to push him. Instead, my heavy arms folded against his chest like they were made of fresh clay.

“Let me stay,” he pleaded. “Let me get you a towel.”

“You need to go,” I managed to mumble back, releasing more tears. I was struggling for breath as I openly sobbed. “Please, leave.”

He let go of me then, his hands sliding from me cautiously. The loss of his weight against me was so sudden and emptying I felt like he’d taken a piece of me with him. I kept my eyes to the floor as he crossed the room to collect his coat. And then he was gone and I was left cold, naked and alone.

I dropped onto my bed. Pain like a red-hot poker lanced right up my bruised spine. I fisted my bedding, biting down on my lip only to release a cry of agony when my busted lip tore open and fresh blood filled my mouth.

Drying and dressing myself was a challenge. My body was a mess of grazes and bruises. Some may have been from the night with Kaspar. Belatedly, I wished I hadn’t been so determined not to look at the evidence of our tryst. It would have been nice to be able to differentiate between the marks of love and hate.

Way back in the woods, Kaspar had told me he loved me. It had been sweet and awkward and it was very much him. To which I responded with a joke, which was very much me. I liked to think he meant it but, I guess, being a baby abandoned in an inn and being told for the first few years of my life that I was sickly and unlovable, that stuff was bound to make me question things. And it appeared to have left a sour taste in my mouth ever since I was a boy.

Kaspar was the prince. A very strong, handsome, adored prince. I was a pale, skinny jester. Knowing that Kaspar sometimes despised being royal, in the back of my mind, there was always the nagging thought that our hidden relationship was all just a way for Kaspar to rebel against his father and his title.

It was only a matter of time before I pushed him away.

And it seemed like that night in his room was the perfect excuse to do so.

Back in my simple pedestrian clothes, I grabbed my pail from next to the basin to start emptying the bathtub. I lost my footing on the wet floor and went flying into the air. The pail swung wildly and I let go of it to prevent it hitting my square in the face. My back collided with the floor and I felt every bump of my spine connect to the wood. The pail clattered against my wall, upending a shelf and sending pots of paintbrushes sprawling over my workstation.

A cry of gut-wrenching anguish ripped out of me so forcefully it made my stomach cramp. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I lay there, the cold water quickly soaking into my shirt. I curled up onto my side and wept, lacking the strength to even pretend I was all right.

The booming knock on my front door was very much not welcomed. My jaw clenched and I let out a silent scream against the floor before I collected myself enough to call out,

“Leave me alone.”

I did not need Kaspar guilt-tripping me into forgiving him right now.

“Wallace Treager?”

I sprang up, eyes wide on the front door. That was not Kaspar’s voice.

“Wallace Treager, open up.”

Using the end of my bed for support, I managed to pull myself up to my feet right before my door flew open, spitting bits of wood from the broken lock. Two guards marched into my home.

“Wallace Treager, you are under arrest by order of the king.”

One grabbed me and hauled me to my feet. When I stumbled, they both looped their arms under my armpits and dragged me out.

“Wait! What – what is this about?”

The breeze cut through me like glass. My bare toes stung, the sharp stones biting.

This couldn’t be for the play, could it? I was trying to help. I was on the king’s side.

“The king has reason to believe you have disobeyed his direct orders.”

My heart pounded erratically. My feet caught the ground and after several paces, I was walking upright without their help. There was a horse and jail cart awaiting me at the end of the path. I jerked against their hold but they urged me inside and locked the door. 

Hi MissGangamash,

Mailice back with a short review! :D

Everything that happened in this chapter fades away as soon as you get to the end, and I have to say, in retrospect, there's a tension that builds up that only fades slightly when you read over it a second time and think about what Wally is most worried about and how it's going to end up for him.

I think with this whole chapter it made me feel like we've finally come to a point where everything doesn't just seem like it's falling apart, but is actually falling apart. The mood throughout the conversation felt very hollow and despite trying to be a bit of an encouragement, Wally comes across as dismissive and impersonal.

You described and portrayed this well, especially with some of the descriptions and expressions that made one feel as if Wally was trying to harm himself, when he needs just the opposite. He seems overwhelmed with everything and especially in the dialogue with Kaspar you show it openly. In the last part it was still superficial, but by now it's reached a point where Wally and Kaspar kind of repel each other, as if they were two equal poles on a magnet. The closer Kaspar wants to get to Wally, the more he distances himself.

Other points I noticed while reading:

“I’m still mad you.”

A missing @ is here. :D

I liked to think he meant it but, I guess, being a baby abandoned in an inn and being told for the first few years of my life that I was sickly and unlovable, that stuff was bound to make me question things. And it appeared to have left a sour taste in my mouth ever since I was a boy.

Of course, one can understand that these thoughts don't let Wally fall asleep at night because this is more subconscious in his mind, and thus a distrust and lack of love spills over into his outside world, but from another point of view, Wally also needs to realise that he just needs to tell himself that he is loved and fight the evil thoughts to make a difference. This is easier said than done, but if Wally doesn't start taking care of himself now and maintain a positive self-image, it will be even worse when he sits in the cell and spends all those hours there thinking. That is pure poison for him.

In summary, the chapter was, on the whole, a cruel fall from the stairs, where step by step everything got worse. And I like that. Now is the point where you long back to the old chapters where it was easier and happier, but you have to look forward, especially Wally. It's definitely a really good turnaround of the story that's been teased for so long.

Hello! Things are most definitely starting to fall apart! Kaspar so desperately wants to be there for Wallace but it's clear his grief and general negative self image is making him push any help away.

Poor guy's going through it :(

RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hi MissGangamash!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Things only seem to be going down-hill for Wally. I like the new intensity the recent chapters have adopted, it amplifies Wallace's emotions, taking us along for heavy ride. It seems that the fairy-tale life Wallace and Kaspar had so carefully created and protected from the rest of the world is now starting to fall apart at the very seams, and neither of them know how to stich it back together again. At times like these, I really wish we could hear Kaspar's perspective as well, as there is no way for us to know his side of it all except to depend on Wallace's understanding of his character and his reactions.

I know most people don’t even see me as a person.

I had always thought that for a guy with as much insecurities and issues as Wallace, the beginning of his relationship with Kaspar had been surprisingly effortless on both their parts. It had been instant attraction supported by a gradual friendship. However, these things do not happen very easily for Wallace, who is always either trying to fade away with backgrounds or putting on a different costume altogether to assume the role of the entertainer, of someone else. Maybe it was Kaspar's outgoing forwardness, his keen attention and obvious attraction towards him that had lent the confidence to Wallace, who is otherwise a shy and reserved person, always keeping to himself. And the fact that he had never arrested the attention and care of another person before must have played some weightage to the whole affair. Maybe that is why the slightest attention from Kaspar sweeps Wallace away and side tracks him completely from his original intentions, whether its about shelving important conversations, keeping secrets, forgiving him or allowing him to sweep him away to his room for the night when he had been determined to leave the party.

It sheds a complete different light to the start of their relationship, giving it a more whimsical quality. And because we mostly viewed that entire start through flashbacks, it feels like a dream that you cannot believe ever happened once its over.

It had been the exhilaration of finding something mindless and numbing to get lost in.

Again, I got the feeling that Wallace was feeling so helpless against the onslaught of all these unfamiliar emotions that he was blowing every argument out of proportion inside his mind. His generally insecure nature makes him take apart every intention and moment in their relationship and he starts doubting the very foundation of what they have. At the moment, it feels more like a defense mechanism than anything else; he is hurt and insecure about their relationship and so he simply assumes the worst, as nothing can be worse than the worst (not sure if that made sense).

I was surprised by this admission from Wallace as it speaks for his self-sabotaging nature that had never come into light before this. The way he speaks about pushing Kaspar away makes this whole thing feel like something that they never could have found a way around, like a predestined conclusion that was bound to happen regardless of their choice or wants. Wallace claims that the night they spent together was the perfect excuse to push him away, and thinking back to it, I remember feeling that Wallace was over reacting to the whole thing. Yes, he was hurt and his anger was justified. But it seemed more like he was pushing him away for all those other little instances he had swept under the rug rather than the single wrong Kaspar had committed that night. It would also explain why Kaspar was so clueless about where it had all gone wrong.

It feels like all the insecurities, the issues and arguments and emotions that Wallace had pushed deep inside had now reached their full capacity and re-emerged, and now he is so out-of-practice at dealing with them that he does not have the first clue about what to do with these feelings. He is hurt and overwhelmed and all this is happening at the worst possible time for him.

And just when we were already drowning in these arguments and misunderstandings between Wallace and Kaspar, you completely change the flow again. I cannot even begin to comprehend what led to this arrest warrant. Wallace has not committed any crime, except for his participation in the protest. However, I don't think that they would really go to the trouble of searching out his home to arrest him for simply being present at a protest, not when there are so many others who actively participated. Now that makes it wonder if the arrest is related to the other orders of the King, the ones relating to keeping Wally's relationship with Kaspar a secret. Well, one can only assume right now, but you did a great job with the cliffhanger and suddenly steering the course of the story to somewhere else.

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

I think a lot of Wallace's and Kaspar's effortless in the beginning of their relationship comes from Wallace never truly believing it was real. In the back of his mind he's always thought he was just a distraction for the prince, or a way to rebel, so Wallace was just playing along. From the get go we know that Wallace feels a lot more comfortable when things aren't real.

It's all most definitely falling apart for Wallace and these last few chapters are the climax of the story.

Where's it all gonna lead to?! Just about to upload the next part!

Thanks for reading and reviewing as usual :D

To have more, you have to become more. Don't wish it was easier - wish you were better. For things to change, you have to change, and for things to get better, you have to get better.
— Jim Rohn