Home » Literary works » Poetry » Romantic

Breaking Up With Imaginary You

by MaybeAndrew

Breaking up with imaginary you:

I’ve always liked you

You are nice, pretty, and smart

But the you I imagined

I’ve loved them

They are brave, genius, loving, special, adventurous, witty, and loyal

I will still like you

Even though you have your flaws

Your awkwardness and confusing signs

Your conflicting actions and hurtful avoidances

I have yet to meet someone whose flaws I can bear more

Because when you’re fun, you’re very fun, and when you’re nice, you’re very nice.

But the imagined you?

I can’t love them anymore

It only hurts to compare you to them

It only hurts to grasp at an illusion

So I must let go of the hand of imagined you

I have loved them dearly

I have loved them more than anyone I had ever known

They have comforted me in my darkest hours

And been confident in me in my brightest

They have loved me deeply

They have trusted me more than anyone they had ever known

But you are not the imagined you

You are a girl

You are a high school crush

When I catch those glimpses of what seem to be imagined you

Those may simply be the false hopes of a desperate man

Or the hints of a greater future

Regardless, I can not love you.

And if I continue loving imagined you

I will continue chasing a mirage

Trying to get another glimpse of the impossible

So I am breaking up with imagined you

It is definitely not them, it’s me.

It is my fault for making them

It is my fault for believing in them

It is my fault for needing them.

And maybe we’ll meet again

But at this juncture

I am breaking up with imagined you

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 am
slubbs24 wrote a review...

Slubbs here with a review :D

I loved this so much! It was absolutely smashing!

The flow was perfect, I didn’t stumble at all.

This was such a capturing poem, I love the concept about viewing someone in a way then realizing they’re not the way you would like them to be.

I have to make this review short as I left it late again.

Overall I loved this poem it was extremely relatable and touching.

The way you ended it was fabulous, making the reader think maybe they should break up with the imaginary person. :D

I will definitely read and review more of your works. Keep writing!

~slubbs

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm
NivedaJames22 wrote a review...

Hey Andrew!

First of all, let me just say, you've got an intriguing title. When I first read the title, I knew I had to read it.

The theme is really relatable, how you meet someone, and then the them in your head becomes this whole, different, idealized version of the real them. And then when you actually realize what they're really like, it sort of hits you hard.

This is just my opinion, and I'm really sorry if this offends you in any way. I'm not sure if genius is the right word this line, maybe "smart" might work better:

They were brave, genius, loving, special, adventurous, witty, and loyal

This part is sooo sweet <3 :

I will still like you

Even though you have your flaws

Your awkwardness and confusing signs

I’ve have yet to meet someone whose flaws I can bear more

I really liked how you end the poem:

And maybe we’ll meet again

But at this juncture

I am breaking up with imagined you

On the whole, it was a wonderful, touching poem. Can't wait to read more of your work.

Keep writing. <3

MaybeAndrew says...

Thanks for the review! I%u2019m glad you liked the end, I was proud of that section. I%u2019ll think about changing genius! If you know any words that mean smart but are even bigger, like genius or prodigy, I might use those to replace it. (:
Like

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:43 am
anne27 wrote a review...

Hi MaybeAndrew!! I'm Anne here to review your work.
I absolutely loved the perspective in which your incredible poem is written.

MEANING
I can't agree more with it. Its amazing the way you've expressed it. Sometimes it also happens with me, that when I'm really desperate to love somebody, I create an 'imaginary you' so that it is easier for me. And that imaginary person is without any major flaws. And as you say, sometimes start to believe in them and need them. But eventually you realise that that is fake and we have to accept reality. I found those emotions very beautifully portrayed in the poem.

And if I continue loving imagined you

I will continue chasing a mirage

These lines were especially very heartwarming!!
Its 100% true !!

LANGUAGE
Even though the words were well chosen, some grammatical mistakes made the poem a little confusing in some places.
For example...

this broke the amazing flow of the poetry, because I had to read it twice to make sure I was reading correctly. There should be either 'I have' or just 'I've' and not I've have. If indeed the phrase exists though then I've never heard two haves together :?

Also here
your fun, your very fun, and when your nice, your very nice.

I think you wanted to say 'You are, or you're' rather than your.

Apart from this, your poem was really engaging and fresh. I loved it.
Keep writing and thanks for sharing your work!! :)

MaybeAndrew says...

Thanks for the review! Im glad you liked the poem. I agree that I think we as humans have a tendency to make up characters in our heads that aren%u2019t entirely true, but I think it%u2019s all the worse when you know the person for years and therefore begin to really feel like you need them, imagined or real. I%u2019ll make sure to make those grammatical changes!

anne27 says...

Glad it helped! :)

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:32 am
WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Hey there! I like the unique perspective of this poem. You've dug into some great insight with this topic. I like how you've showed the way a person can easily fall for their own created perception of another rather than that person's true qualities. The "imaginary you" does tend to be pretty flawless and unrealistic in comparison. Possibly the biggest thing I appreciate about this poem is that you make the point of how important it is to let go of that "imaginary you."

Your formatting is clear, so great job there. I did notice a few grammar things though. In the line beginning with, "Because when your fun...." The places here where you've written "your" should be corrected to "you're". I also noticed you switched some between the verb tenses "have" and "had," which end up in overall verb tense inconsistency. I'd suggest keeping an eye open for that kind of thing in the future.

Overall, this is a really good work. Thanks for sharing your talent! Keep it up!

MaybeAndrew says...

Thanks for the review! I will make the grammatical changes!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:17 pm
RealSadhours296 wrote a review...

This poem hit a spot in my heart, as someone who has gone through a break up this year. Although my situation does not align too much with the story of the poem, I can relate with that sort of idealization you can have for someone you care about, even love.

I also feel like the structure of the poem: specifically it's lack of adhering to the stereotypical rules of poetry, at least that's how the poem appears in my opinion, better communicates the emotion of the poem. I feel if it were structured with rhyme for example, it probably wouldn't have hit me as much. It feels very raw, almost like it's something you would read in someone's diary. The poem feels real, and with a topic like this that's a good thing.

Keep up the good work!

MaybeAndrew says...

Thanks for the review! What you said about it sounding like it%u2019s out of a diary was insightful, because I literally wrote it in my diary, XD, and then decided to post it.

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland