z

Young Writers Society



Sunday Morning

by LunarAirPollution


Sunday morning waking up, laying next to you
If I feel like praying, your bed can be my pew
Why would I leave heaven
Just to go to church
To seek salvation elsewhere
Would be a hopeless search

Your heartbeat is holy
Your breath touches my soul
I'd sing you praises every day
It's you that makes me whole

No god can compare
To your beauty and your light
No stars, not even the sun
Could ever shine as bright


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 2401
Reviews: 35

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:36 pm
View Likes
Moonlily wrote a review...



Hello, although short you manage to pack a lot into this poem. It feels somewhere between Maddy Buckly's Wine and Wheat and Hoizers Take Me To Church. I wonder if those were things you pulled on while writing if not you should check both out. However, I will warn you that Wine and Wheat does deal with religious trauma so be careful ( it is a very good song still and seems something you might enjoy.)

As for feedback I only have a few more personal/nitpicky opinions. First off I understand this is just your musings but If you want to push this further, perhaps add small moments in between whoever's POV it is meant to be in and whoever they are talking about. It doesn't have to be much anything from lazy Sundays or quiet moments could elevate the sense of intimacy I get from a few lines.

Secondly, I feel the subject of this poem could lead to some very impactful metaphors using known in at least Christian lore/ beliefs forgive if that is not your former beliefs that is just what comes to mind. Due to the use of stars, I could see Lucifer (an angel that fell from heaven due to pride seen as a monster but later was humanized.) could be used to explore how many queer people are dehumanized and shunned despite being human.

Again I do not know your back story and I will deeply aploizge If I have offended or hurt you that was not my intentions. These are just my my thoughts from your well written work.

Keep going your words matter.




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 19
Reviews: 5

Donate
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:07 am
View Likes
RazzleDazzle says...



As an ex-religious queer myself... wow! I like the rhyming pattern, it really makes the poem flow nicely, and it isn't overly wordy or complicated either.





You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus