[To a Main Character]

by Liminality

People crush sunflowers

too large to fit

in a jean pocket.

-

It's no hidden subtext,

petals are just

oversimplified clippings from a plant.

-

Yellow ochre dye

that weighs as heavy as

things you say, but don't mean,

things you mean, but don't say.

-

It's no big deal, I'll assure you

every time at the

ritualistic crossing of the street

with the red fire hydrant.

-

But sometimes I think you expect

what you're not willing to give.

Sometimes I think you lie

when you say you've given anything.

-

Reaching into my skull with those

mantis-like fingers, implanting the seeds of doubt

that I can ever be right about where the road goes

without your say-so.

-

You grow vines connecting the wrong dots,

forcing me to think in fragments,

to preach in broken stems

disconnected from the roots

of practice.

rinkimy says...

I really loved this, read 2 times already:)

Liminality says...

Aww thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it <3

silented1 says...

Loved it.

Liminality says...

Thanks! Glad to hear it was enjoyable.

Rosewood wrote a review...

Hey, Rosewood here! 🌹

It's been a few months since I've reviewed, so sorry if it's not the most helpful. Anyway, let's get started!

First of all, I just want to say that I love the main concepts you're pointing out. In my own interpretation, I can see how you've combined acts of human nature and paired them our own understanding of morality.

People crush sunflowers

too large to fit

in a jean pocket.

Honestly, this has to be my one of favorite stanzas in this. You address the fact that we, as a group, tend to destroy what we can't have. Which is kind of funny, considering how in the next few lines you give the impression of dismissing the underlining meanings. (Another thing, I might add, that people will do to dismiss jealousy in what they cannot possess!)

It's no big deal, I'll assure you

every time at the

ritualistic crossing of the street

with the red fire hydrant.

I think it's interesting how you coupled something easily compared to making choices in life with something out of the blue in the last line. Interpretation-wise, this really leaves it up to your reader. It could be anything- a thought the narrator did not consider, a difference in the mundane, a simple way to ground the reader in reality...!

But sometimes I think you expect

what you're not willing to give.

Sometimes I think you lie

when you say you've given anything.

I like the message I'm receiving from this, perhaps rethinking choices or lies that we tell ourselves? I only have one small nit-picky thing I'd like to add. I thought the rhythm was a little weird on the last line, "...when you say you've given anything.". Perhaps, instead of "you've", "you would've" could be better. It helps to hold the tense the sentence mainly portrayed.

I like the last lines and how they helped revert back to the sort of vegetation aspect you started with. And I especially like how they both wind back to the central point. You left us with an extra line in the last verse, which at first, I focussed on too much at the surface-level. But having read the poem multiple times, I think it creates, at least for me, a connection that better yet defines humanity's actions. We're never sure how it will affect us or what the consequences may be, but the practice itself helps to define who we are as individuals.

I really hope my interpretations weren't too philosophical for this, but your work really helped paint the ideas in my mind! This was a beautiful piece, and I can't wait to read more of your works in the future!

Liminality says...

Hiya Rosewood! I love your philosophical interpretations :D

You address the fact that we, as a group, tend to destroy what we can't have.

That's a really interesting take! I was going for something along those lines, and using the plant to contrast with the pocket (something made by humans) was sort of my way to emphasise that, I think!

I only have one small nit-picky thing I'd like to add. I thought the rhythm was a little weird on the last line, "...when you say you've given anything.".

Ah yeah you're right about that! Thanks for letting me know ~

And thank you so much for this review overall, I found it very helpful!

alliyah says...

Ah! Such an interesting poem Lim & lovely poignant imagery that weaves around the message too. Like! These lines? "Reaching into my skull with those// mantis-like fingers" <- perfection. <3

Liminality says...

Thanks so much! <3 Glad you enjoyed it!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:50 am
MayCupcake wrote a review...

Hey, Liminality!
Here's a short review for you today!

People crush sunflowers

too large to fit

in a jean pocket.

Nice imagery in this opening!

It's no hidden subtext,

I think it's interesting that you say that there's no hidden meaning and yet you go on in the poem and look deeper into the meaning of the flower.

forcing me to think in fragments,

I really liked these lines for it's word choice of "fragments" and the use of connecting dots.

Anyways, nice poem and keep on writing!

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review! :D

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor