[Those three in the backdrop of the cafe scene --]

by Liminality

Always, tea time with friends,

even if you're a coffee drinker, then --

you're not anymore. Under the ambrosia

and silky honey pour of evening,

everyone can hold a porcelain cup

with both hands, and hold it out

and press it into the hands of a friend.

.

Each day, three people despite

the hot weather, sip warm drinks,

there's nothing stuffy about these halcyon days

up on the tenth floor, cloud-bound with windows

that open up into forever in summer,

sweet words as you mix three sugar cubes

into her wide-brimmed cup with a chipped rim.

.

Anytime, dissolving into the ichor

that fills you from the base of your back

to the top of your cloud-bearing head,

bearing dreams that this can go on forever,

moments like golden dew-drops on a thread,

no deities, only human hands needed

to brew these celestial things.

Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:45 pm
AlyTheBookworm says...

No full-length review this time- just dropping in to say I checked out more of your poetry after reading To the Shoreline and I love this one soo much! It's incredibly warm and comforting and the word choice and imagery you chose are really clever and fun- it made me snicker a little hahaha. I adore the phrases "cloud-bound", "silky honey pour", and "halcyon days". The whole thing just flows so nicely. It makes me nostalgic for the tea party I've never had. Love it <3

Liminality says...

Thank you so much! Your comments really made my day <3

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:35 am
AilahEvelynMae wrote a review...

Hi there, Ellie-Mae here for a quick review!

Wishing you a happy day/evening/morning/night/whatever is applicable to your part of the world! First off, please remember that my reviews are my own opinions :) I’ll give honest feedback, but nothing at all is intended to hurt or discourage you in any way at all! <3 So, without waiting any longer, let’s get right into it and digest the spectabulous piece of literary work!

this made me think of friendship and gave me wholesome feelings. I really enjoyed reading, so thank you so much for posting! this is beautifully detailed and well written :)

Ellie-mae

HikariHateke wrote a review...

Hello Hikari here with a review!

I really like the first stanza

{Always, tea time with friends,

you're not anymore. Under the ambrosia

and silky honey pour of evening,

everyone can hold a porcelain cup

with both hands, and hold it out

and press it into the hands of a friend.}

As a coffee and tea drinker i found the first part kinda relatable cuz I started drinking tea way after coffee lol. And the word 'Ambrosia' I had to look it up but I love the meaning and just the word in general it really has that magical feeling to it!

And I like how the first stanza kinda leads into the second stanza! (Which was also good!)

And the third stanza was absolutely scrumptious!

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review, Hikari! Glad you enjoyed the poem. And yes, ambrosia is a magical word <3

abigaileigh says...

This makes me want to go make a cup of tea, it’s so comforting to read. It feels nostalgic somehow ever if you’ve never done something like that. I love the parallelism in the beginning of each stanza, “always… each day… anytime” great work!

Liminality says...

Thank you! <3

Baranczak wrote a review...

As an avowed tea lover ( who often drinks twenty cups a day!) I absolutely loved this poem. I agree, tea with friends is something really special, a respite, a time when you can let time just flow. I really liked the way you used tea as a symbol of defiance and counterculture that that these friends share “Each day three people despite / the hot weather, sip warm drinks”. I then noticed you did some jive imagery’s carry overs in “sweet words as you mix three sugar cubes”. And then in the last stanza I thought you really gave the poem some lift, and a little humor by giving a metaphysical twist “ no deities only human hands needed “ to brew these celestial things”. Your writing is elegant to and simple, and I liked your formatting. And yes, I agree, with the warm influence of friends, even an avowed coffee drinker could not resist this experience!

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review, Baranczak! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. I really liked reading your interpretation of the imagery - I hadn't really noticed the defiance in the line about hot weather, but I can definitely see it now that you've pointed it out. Thanks again!

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson