The Law of Wishes and Desire

by Lightsong

I hate this feeling of seeing the sky, its expanse
laughing at me. Reaching it with my hand,
but fail. Because my hand is too short
and the sky is too large.

Every cell of my body itches
to unravel the ocean, peeking at its
million secrets, buried within its belly.
Its waves mock me, knowing
time is my enemy when I dive in it.
My lung is too inferior against its water.

Maybe I’m ungrateful. Maybe I should count
the breaths I have took in.
Maybe I should marvel of how the blood flows
to sustain me for years.
Maybe I should appreciate the beauty of nature
the greenery, the birds chirping, the fresh air.

But my desire isn’t logical. Sometimes it aims
on the unobtainable. And upon not getting it,
despair will fall on me like a boulder.
I guess it’s a process of learning
to let go. To evaporate my hopes when
all they are is the end of the rainbow, said
to shelter wealth, but non-existent in reality

or maybe it’s a realization that
money doesn’t appear from thin air, that
love isn’t under the mistletoe. Perhaps
there is a way to fly in the sky
and dive into the deepest of the ocean
and what I need to do is

carve the way.

Lightsong! Sorry that this review is long overdue!

This is a really solid poem, and I the concept here is lovely. The title makes me think the poem is going to be some sort of scientific analysis of love and desire, and then my expectations are challenged right in the first line by the metaphor with the sky.

Meaning/Interpretation
I took the overall meaning of the piece to be that the speaker is trying to reconcile the fact that love doesn't make logical sense, and that it's not easy (they have to "carve the way") it almost seems like they have to go against all the natural forces of the world just to get at what they most desire.

It felt like some of the parts of the poem were a bit scattered, and had difficulty sticking to a central message. I would say, it's okay for a poem to meander a bit around what it's really saying, but make sure that everything that ends up in the final version really deserves to be there. Because extra content most of the time waters down the overall concept rather than adding adornment to the main idea. On the same topic as this, most of the time I thought this poem was about relationship longing and love, but the end of stanza 4/beginning of 5, made me wonder if it's all about money instead? I would say if it's about money, that should be clearer from the beginning (maybe with some green imagery or other similar allusions) or if it's about relationship love, then the talk about money seems a bit misplaced.

Wording
I'm skimming over @Wisteria's review, and everything they said I think I would agree on.

There are just a few wording issues here and there. Also watch the little words that get repeated a lot, as their repetition occasionally made the poem feel wordy for me (even though in general I felt this was a rather concise/to the point piece).

I like that the poem sort of circled back on these ideas of logic/science (with talk about rocks falling - gravity, and evaporation, and blood, and nature) versus love/reality (mistletoe, and hopes and dreams) conflicts. I think it would be interesting if you took the scientific moments and made them even more "sciencey" to draw out this contrast - maybe by talking about scientific theories like gravity, water resistance, O2 and H2O or just changing up some of the words for more technical sounding ones. Like "Sialia currucoides" rather than bird, or "inadequate/minuscule" rather than small. That's just a thought though!
Individual Stanza Thoughts

Stanza 1 is gold. Great opening.

Stanza 2 I love the extended water imagery and how we come back to that in stanza 5. I wish there weren't quite so many "its"/"it" though. Also I think "lung" should be plural.

Stanza 3 This stanza feels very open and vulnerable. And connects the imagery and conflicts from before right to the speaker's own life. I don't think you need all the repetition of "maybe" though. The line about the "greenery, birds chirping, and fresh air" felt a tad generic compared to your other powerful imagery too. It's not a bad a line, it just didn't feel quite as fresh to me.

Stanza 4 This was really strong. It makes it feel like the whole poem is climbing up to this point. "my desire isn't logical" seems to sum up the poem, and I like that you don't say it right away, but give us the preceeding stanzas to get to this point.

Also:

"despair will fall on me like a boulder.
I guess it’s a process of learning
to let go."

Wow -- very visual, almost humorous, and just a perfect description. It's just a poignant image, that despair crushes the speaker like a giant boulder, and then almost an after-thought, they're like "maybe I should let go of this rock that's on top of me". Easier said than done! I liked those lines a lot, and the line-breaks heightened the punch line.

Stanza 5
This is the part of the poem I didn't quite get:

or maybe it’s a realization that
love isn’t under the mistletoe.

I like the idea of the hopes evaporating and the thin air, but the whole line isn't quite a complete sentence, and the stuff about wealth just makes me a bit confused. Like I'm not sure where it came from.

I enjoyed these final lines,
and dive into the deepest of the ocean
and what I need to do is

carve the way.

Especially because they incorporate aspects from earlier in the poem - like the breathing, and water, and struggle. I wish there was some connection with the first stanza though, like anything about hands or skies. But either way, it's a beautiful finish for the piece.

Last Thoughts
Overall this is a great poem. I like the journey it takes the reader on. And even if a person didn't get any of the meaning of it (which won't happen) I think they could still love this poem for the beautiful imagery woven in alone.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the review!

best,

alliyah

Apricity wrote a review...

Hey Lightsong, Wis here for a review. I really like this poem, it's genuine and I can feel the rawness of your emotions hidden beneath the words. But it's been polished and refined in such a way that they flow smoother without losing the intensity behind it.

on the unobtainable.

I really adore this in particular, these little nuggets of wisdom that you've seamlessly woven into your poem. I think, out of all the poems I've read by you this is the clearest and most distilled in terms of both language and message. The way you've parsed the stanzas too, adds a balanced rhythm and tone to the whole poem. Anyways, I have some stylistic and technical stuff suggestions below.

Reaching it with my hand,
but fail.

'failing' instead of 'fail' here.

Because my hand is too short
and the sky is too large.

I'm wondering about the repetition of 'is' here in the second line, it clumps up the rhythm because you already have it in the first line. And I think, if you omit it in a way it frees up te flow of the words and enhances the feeling of large a bit more. But, everyone reads poetry differently and this is only my way of reading it.

Maybe I should count
the breaths I have took in.

'taken' as opposed to 'take' here.

Sometimes it aims
on the unobtainable.

'aim' I don't think is quite the right word here, aim is usually used at some sort of endeavour, or an intention that is achievable. For example, someone could say, I aim to be a better learner this year, or I aim to wake up early. Maybe swap it for 'locks?' It's up to you really, play around with words, dance with it until it feels right. It's what we poets do.

I wish I could give more criticism, but the thing is I really like the pragmatic realism in the last stanza that gives away to tentative hope and optimism. It's not a sappy, motivational kind of poem but highlights the blunt reality we live in without taking away hope.

Honestly, it's great. Keep on writing Light! I look forward to seeing more of your poetry. If you've got any questions, feel free to comment or message me. c:

-Wis

Lightsong says...

This seriously makes me have rainbow bubbles in my stomach to the point where I can't help smiling instead of commenting or asking questions. Thanks a million for the review! :D

Apricity says...

Awwwwwww <3 you're welcome!

WanderlustStardust wrote a review...

Hello there! Berri here for a review! (*´∀`*)ノ。+゚ *。

Let me just being by saying, this reminds me a lot of the music video for Porter Robinson's Language, and I have no idea why. It just gives me a lot of Porter vibes (and in a good way too!!)

And I can relate. I want to explore, and I want to be in the sky, but no- the universe has something else planned for me. I should be happy with who I am but I can't be. Sort of.

The whole poem is nicely done! I also like the way you split the lines up and the stanzas as well. The second stanza is easily my favorite chunk of lines in your poem, it just seems so surreal and amazing, but there's also a twinge of sadness in there. And the most relatable stanzas are the third and fourth, for me at least.

This has got to be one of the prettiest poems I've seen in a while.

Never stop writing, and farewell! ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿

StuckOnEarth wrote a review...

Hiya! Space here for a review!

I really enjoyed this poem! It was very sweet and flowed smoothly, with a clear meaning to it. I loved all the metaphors and similes, personifications and everything. It was a genuinely good piece of literature, something I enjoyed reading and I was truly satisfied by it.

One of the stanzas I especially liked was the second one. Great job!

-Space the Snickerdoodle

PS Sorry about how short it is! I'm in a hurry.

Radrook wrote a review...

Wow! this is a beautiful composition! The mood is mesmerizing. The rhythm flawless. The vocabulary which was chosen very effective. A true work of art and a very enjoyable piece to read. It also offers deep concepts over which the reader can ponder. I love the personification of a laughing sky, the mockery of ocean waves, of despair compared to a falling boulder, of hope's evaporation, and wealth at rainbow's end metamorphisms. It's conclusion is also very satisfying to read and ends on a positive note by making attainment of things previously imagined as unattainable possible via effort.

Suggestions

....and [all] I need to do is....

....I dive [into] it.

....[aqualung] is too inferior....”

....beauty of nature[,]

....despair [falls]....

....breaths I have [taken].

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford