Simple joys

by JSadler

The pull of the sea,
the murmurs of wind,
the tartness of oranges
and birds when they sing,

My rough woolen jumpers
and freshly cut grass,
the echoing sound of
vibrating strings on guitars,

The soft stabs of cold
in the lone winter snow,
the dim city lights
that glint through my window,

The fallen brown leaves
that jigsaw the lawn
the old stench of coffee
or tea and a scone,

All these things
I can touch hear smell see,
feel a trace more alive
and a small hint less bloody.

In short, today is a day,
as days often are,
when things feel more hopeful!
There's life in my heart.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:09 pm
angelinamar wrote a review...

The pull of the sea, the murmurs of wind, the tartness of oranges and birds when they sing - these are just a few of the things that make life so beautiful and unforgettable. As I sit here, taking in the surroundings and reflecting on these sensations, I am reminded of the simple pleasures that bring so much joy to our lives.

The sea has always held a special place in my heart. Its never-ending expanse of blue, the rhythmic sound of the waves crashing against the shore, and the salty scent of the ocean all have a calming effect on my soul. There is something so pure and powerful about the sea - it puts life into perspective and reminds me to appreciate the present moment.

And then there is the wind, always whispering secrets and carrying the dreams of those who dare to listen. I find myself drawn to its gentle caress, and I can't help but wonder what stories it carries from faraway lands. The wind is a powerful force - it can move mountains and shape landscapes, yet it also has a delicate touch that can soothe even the weariest of souls.

But it's not just the natural elements that captivate me - even the simplest of things like the tartness of oranges and the voices of birds have the power to bring joy to my heart. The tangy sweetness of an orange reminds me to savor each moment, while the melodic songs of birds remind me to take a moment to appreciate the beauty around me.

And as I look down at my rough woolen jumpers, I am reminded of the comfort and warmth they provide on cold and windy days. They may not be the most fashionable, but they hold a special place in my heart and are a constant reminder of the simple joys in life.

And who can forget the smell of freshly cut grass - a sign of warmer days ahead and the promise of new beginnings. It's a scent that instantly transports me back to carefree childhood days spent playing outside.

Lastly, the echoes of laughter and chatter from children playing in the distance add to the symphony of sensations around me. Their joy is contagious, and it's a beautiful reminder to never lose our sense of wonder and playfulness.

In a world filled with chaos and distractions, it's important to take a moment to appreciate the little things that make life so wonderful. The pull of the sea, the murmurs of wind, the tartness of oranges and birds when they sing, rough woolen jumpers and freshly cut grass - they all play a part in creating beautiful memories and adding color to our lives. Let's not take them for granted and take a moment to truly experience and appreciate these simple yet magical things.

This was truly a good piece. Thank you for the wonderful read. I hope to see more from you soon! :)

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:30 pm
ThekingsAdvisor wrote a review...

This poem really struck a chord with me! It's like a breath of fresh air, capturing all those little moments in life that make it so special. The imagery is so vivid and evocative—I could practically feel the rough woolen jumpers and smell the old stench of coffee and tea.
What I love most is how it celebrates the small things, like the sound of birds singing or the dim city lights shining through a window. It reminds me to slow down and appreciate the beauty around me, even in the midst of everyday chaos.
And that ending? It's so uplifting and hopeful, like a warm hug on a cold day. It's a reminder that no matter what life throws our way, there's always a reason to keep smiling. Overall, this poem is a little gem that brightened my day!

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:03 am
SKZ4ever wrote a review...

Hello there, I'm Demi and I am here to review your work. Let's jump right into it.

The pull of the sea,
the murmurs of wind,
the tartness of oranges
and birds when they sing,

I find this part super cute. Love how you used the word 'tartness.' It just gives a different impression when you are explaining the oranges.

My rough woolen jumpers
and freshly cut grass,
the echoing sound of
vibrating strings on guitars,

This is great.

The soft stabs of cold
in the lone winter snow,
the dim city lights
that glint through my window,

Yes, I understand that feeling. So amazing this world.

The fallen brown leaves
that jigsaw the lawn
the old stench of coffee
or tea and a scone,

Perfect explanation. Poor coffee.

All these things
I can touch hear smell see,
feel a trace more alive
and a small hint less bloody.

In short, today is a day,
as days often are,
when things feel more hopeful!
There's life in my heart.

I love how meaningful this poem is.

People need to appreciate this world to the most. Keep up the amazing work. This is wonderful.

Have a lovely day/night, from Demi.

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown