Words from Beyond The Grave.

by JSadler

I am Death.
The Grim Reaper, the Ferryman,
one of the Four Horsemen,
whatever you want to call it,
that's me. 

Everyone fears me,
they all try and slip through my grasp
and scuttle away.
People on Earth curse my name,
Scream at me up into the night sky,
They blame me
for taking their loved ones.

You may think I'd get quite lonely,
But in fact it's just the opposite,
I get to meet everyone in the world.
Every. Single. Person.
I calm them down,
talk to them,
get to know them.
I'm the one there when they look back
over their whole life - the good and the bad,
I'm there when they cry
over loved ones they've lost,
or who have lost them.

In time they all come to learn,
that I'm not born
out of hatred or malevolence,
I'm not some dastardly being,
Some creepy cloaked skeleton
wielding a blood-soaked scythe.
No, I'm simply a person,
Not human, but person
A guider, a comforter,
Who leads you to the next stage
of existence in the universe.

I don't control when and how you die,
That just happens naturally,
It's a part of life.
But when you do,
Guaranteed, I'll be there
To guide you and help
leave this life behind,
Move on
To happier things.

Everyone on Earth may hate me,
But in time they'll come to realise
that dying - It's not so bad.
In fact, It's a privilege,
One that I'm not lucky enough
to be blessed with.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:08 am
avianwings47 says...

So I might be really late but I LOVEd this! (Also it would make a cool short story! :D )

JSadler says...

Aww thank you!
Short stories aren't my strong point but I could give it a go! or if you want to take the idea you are more than welcome :)

Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:29 am
archrnln wrote a review...

Wow. How very powerful. This piece certainly gets you thinking, for nobody ever considers the fact that the reaper himself cannot die, and exists eternally to help the dead move on to the next stage.

Death to me does not seem scary, it is something that when your time comes, it does not discriminate. It happens to everyone. People will do almost anything to avoid it but in all honesty I am excited. We all want to know what happens when we die, and hopefully after I have lived a full life I will get to find out for myself.

I congratulate you on your writing skills and curiosity evoking ideas.

Regards, A.

Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the review?

Top Graham Cracker - Death speaks about their job and how they’ve lived for centuries without a true friend to join them.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow -I think that “it’s” for dying to be a privilege should be capitalized, but you don’t have to listen to this.

Chocolate Bar - I love a lot from this poem, but my favorite was the last lines, when Death was talking about how dying was a good thing. To exist so long, only to guide souls, that really has to get to someone…

Closing Graham Cracker - A beautiful and sorrowful poem about how The Grim Reaper may feel with helping souls cross over into the afterlife. I’ve enjoyed reading this.

I wish you a lovely day/night!

Ignorance wrote a review...

This poem is beautiful! The way you personify death is truly stunning. A line that hit me most was the final two. Death clearly longs for more to their existence, which makes their tale feel more like a tragedy. One thing i will say is that some of the writing seems a bit informal. I feel like Death, being as old as time, would be more uptight, more classy and wise. However, if you interpret them in a different way, no worries! Thats just my personal opinion. Anyways, your poem is lovely, and I hope to see more from you! <3

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid