z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Blood on paper

by JSadler


All my pain and suffering
the aches and yearnings
the miniscule, everyday heartbreaks
the once-in-a-lifetime soul-crushing hurts
I pour it all out onto paper.

I bleed
and my blood becomes ink
rivers running through the creases of the page
crimson streams circling into letters
letters forming into rust-red words
and words painting a mural
an image of my excruciating life.

It hurts to slit my wrists
to bleed my pain over this parchment
the red stains like snapshots of my life
soaked into my memory.
But the scars will healĀ 
and I need to bleed to survive.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 118
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:28 pm
View Likes
PEL wrote a review...



I think this poem is a powerful expression of how you and probably many other people feel from time to time. I really like the way you turned your blood into ink. Rather than just bleeding and leaving a red stain, you bleed with ink and leave a work of art. You create, you don't destroy. You have the courage to express your feelings through writing rather than hurting yourself. Your poem is not only healing for you, but also for your readers. "and I need to bleed to survive" is a very poetic way of saying, I need to write to survive, I need to create to survive. You have a powerful way of expressing yourself, so please keep writing, keep creating and keep surviving. PEL.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 319
Reviews: 35

Donate
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:11 pm
View Likes
dm74 wrote a review...



Opening Lines:
The opening lines set a visceral scene, depicting the act of pouring out one's pain onto paper. The use of vivid imagery, such as "bleed" and "rivers running through the creases of the page," effectively conveys the intensity of emotion and the physicality of the act.

Imagery and Symbolism:
The poem employs rich and evocative imagery throughout, using the metaphor of bleeding as a means of transferring pain onto the page. The comparison of blood to ink, and the depiction of "crimson streams circling into letters," creates a vivid and haunting image. The use of color imagery, particularly the repetition of red, reinforces the idea of pain and suffering.

Tone and Mood:
The tone of the poem is somber and introspective, reflecting the speaker's deep emotional turmoil. The mood oscillates between despair and resilience, as the speaker grapples with the pain of their experiences but also finds solace in the act of artistic expression.

Themes:
The primary themes of the poem revolve around pain, suffering, and the healing power of art. It explores the idea of using creative outlets as a means of coping with emotional trauma and finding catharsis in self-expression. Additionally, the poem touches on themes of survival and resilience, as the speaker acknowledges the necessity of enduring pain in order to heal and move forward.

Structure and Form:
The poem is written in free verse, allowing for a sense of fluidity and emotional rawness in the language. The lack of strict rhyme or meter mirrors the chaotic and unpredictable nature of the speaker's emotions.

Language and Diction:
The language used in the poem is poignant and emotive, effectively conveying the speaker's sense of anguish and vulnerability. The choice of words such as "excruciating," "soul-crushing," and "yearnings" intensifies the emotional impact of the poem.

Conclusion:
The poem concludes with a bittersweet acknowledgment of the pain endured by the speaker, juxtaposed with a sense of hope and resilience. The image of scars healing suggests a journey towards healing and renewal, despite the ongoing struggles depicted throughout the poem.

Overall Impression:
Overall, this poem is a poignant exploration of pain, suffering, and the transformative power of art. Through vivid imagery and evocative language, the speaker conveys the raw intensity of their emotions while also finding solace and catharsis in the act of creative expression.





You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh