Acceptance is Not a Lie: Counter Essay to "Christianity is a Lie"

by Gravity

Every once in a while, a theological debate surfaces on YWS, usually bashing Christianity and Christians everywhere who, like you (even if you aren't Christian) just want to be accepted. Some believers will try to tell you about our faith, it's what we do. It's what we are called to do. But some just keep pushing.

The ironic thing is, all of these essays and debates surface because people refuse to accept Christians as they feel Christians don't accept them. Although the only reason I'm still alive today is because of my faith, I'm not going to write a biased essay. So instead of writing an essay laying out why I feel the Christian way is the only way I want to live, my thesis is different. Rather than "Christianity is not a lie" my thesis statement is...

Acceptance is not a lie

In this essay, I'm going to actually include facts and legitimate bible quotes to outline the basic ideals of the bible and how they relate to the opinions and actions of Christians everywhere. To start, I'm going to go to the gospels. One of the more well known verses of the Bible is in Matthew, Chapter 22, verse 39.

"The second is like it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself." 

Let me be more specific. This verse does not say "Love your Christian neighbor as yourself" it simply says your neighbor. Old, young, pretty, ugly, tall, short, gay, straight, atheist, Christian. Every single neighbor. Every person you come across, you will love them as yourself. Granted, not every Christian follows this.

These exceptions are people like Westboro Baptist Church. If you aren't familiar with these people, they are know for their extremists beliefs. They are known for going to the funerals of soldiers, homosexuals and those who took their own life to degrade the lives they lived and their families. These are the Christians that make headlines, the Christians the whole world sees. Are all Muslims extremists? No. There are extremists in every religion. Including Christianity. But people rarely take the opportunity to see the Christians who are doing good things for the world.

There are mission workers from Churches who go to third world countries where Christians are being persecuted. There are people in Churches who go to countries across the globe and can't tell their families where they are. Why? If someone happened to let it slip in a blog or on twitter, the effects for the missionaries could be disastrous. Not all Christian missionaries set out to convert people. They set out to offer help. One great Christian Organization is Called World Vision International. The organization is made to send food to hungry people all over the world to keep them healthy. These people aren't necessarily put in danger for what they do, but they do a lot for the world and demonstrate the ideals in the Bible that every Christian sets out to follow.

Now for the "believers" who maybe aren't so great. I mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church earlier. I'm sure you all heard about the death of beloved Comedian, Robin Williams last month. Robin Williams was a good man who inspired laughs and smiles from people all over America. However, because he took his life, Twitter feeds implied that the Church intended to protest at his funeral and degrade him and his family at what was supposed to be a private affair. 

I just outlined two sides of Christianity. However, there are many more sides of it. There are approximately 7.5 billion people on this planet and we're rapidly approaching 8 billion. 32% of the population of the world identify to be Christians. This adds up to approximately 2.4 billion Christians on the planet. Out of these Christians there are 41,000 different organizations and denominations. This just proves my point that saying "most Christians" is a completely inaccurate statement. Just as it would be offensive to say that "most" people in a race believe something, it's offensive to say that "most" people in a religion believe something else. The only way to group all Christians as a whole is with this statement:

All Christians believe in God the Father, and they all believe that Jesus Christ died so they could go to Heaven.

In fact, the single most popular and well known verse in the Bible is John 3:16 For God so loved the world, he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Please don't get confused by this verse. This verse means that if you believe in Jesus Christ, you will have eternal life in Heaven. Not that you're invincible on Earth. (haha)

Now on to what people believe. This is a quote taken from the essay I am responding to. "It is indoctrinating their minds and brain washing them to mindlessly follow this book, and it causes much harm in many areas of life. They try to stop scientific progress because it goes against their beliefs, they try to ban gay marriage because to them that's a sin, and they just sit around and point fingers, and then call themselves the loving people of the world. It is hypocritical and it is another failure of the Christian culture. If God is love, why aren't His people? Why do they attack the right to marry someone you love because they're the same sex? Why do they fight the right to have a choice in abortion, because sometimes it is a choice that is needed for women. It is their bodies anyways."

That statement isn't true. What you're talking about is scientific advances and reproductive rights. I'm going to tackle this common misconception starting with abortion.

Most Christians don't believe abortion should be legal under any circumstance Let me clarify what I mean by this. 20% of Christians said they thought abortion should be legal under any circumstance. 22% said it shouldn't be legal in any shape or form, case closed. However that leaves the remaining 58% (the majority) of Christians who didn't believe abortion was a yes or no issue. The popular belief with any group of people is that abortion should be restricted, but not entirely. As far as gay marriage goes, an average of 60% of Catholics (a growing majority) actually completely supports gay marriage. Catholicism is one of the dominant Christian denominations. However, it varies with other denominations as well.

As far as the laws in Leviticus that say whoever lays with someone of the same gender shall be stoned... that part? The only part of the Bible that people seem to be familiar with? News flash: The Bible was written thousands of years ago. When Jesus came he established a covenant. This covenant says that sin doesn't send you to hell. This is the same thing as saying Southerners are bad people because their ancestors were slave owners. My ancestors and the ancestors of believers and non believers everywhere, yes. They did kill homosexuals simply because they were homosexual. But until I kill a gay person, or until every single believer on this Earth kills a homosexual, it's not right to act like we do. Especially for a law that existed thousands of years ago.

For the very last leg of my essay, I'm going to cover the topic of hypocrisy. I have just outlined the ways in which the Christian belief calls Christians to be accepting. While this doesn't mean all Christians follow that rule, many of them do. But I'm going to turn the table. The essay I am retaliating to was rude, vulgar and degrading when talking about Christianity in their claim that "most" followers of Christ aren't accepting. In reality, in most parts of the world, Christians aren't being accepted

Statistics show that between the years of 2006 and 2010, Christians were publicly harassed in 139 countries, making Christianity the religion most persecuted in the world. In 2014, an average of 180 Christians are killed every month for their faith. This adds up to an estimation of 2,160 believers in the year of 2014 alone. 

Honestly, I didn't write this essay to bash anyone's religion or to make their opinion seem illegitimate. I wrote this essay to show you that Christians are taught to be accepting people, whether they actually are or aren't is up to them. 

I believe that accepting others is what we are called to do as people. Not just as Christians or as atheists or even as boys or girls, blacks or whites. We all need to accept each other as human beings. I initially wrote an entire essay on why I feel Christianity is the best way to live. And then I realized that for some people, it just isn't. Whether you're Christian or not, I will love you as I love myself. That's what my faith tells me to do, and that's what we are called to do as homosapiens.

So please, I beg you. Just learn to live as one, as a unit. There is room for everybody on this Earth (until we reach 8 billion people, and then we're screwed). I know that if we work together, we can learn to accept and respect the people around us. We can create a world in which we see each other through the same set of eyes, no matter what their beliefs are. Every person deserves a chance. Please, take this into account. We are the next generation. We can change the world. And while I usually don't like Michael Jackson, I'm going to reference one of the wisest things he ever said.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror.

Riverlight wrote a review...

To @Gravity:

Though I have not read the essay to which you have responded, I feel as though yours makes an argument with a majority of the "Christians are evil" essays that can be found all over the internet.

As @Snoink said, there are some spots where you go off on tangents, but these tangents (in my opinion) add to your essay via other thoughts of yours that we may not be able to discern otherwise.

Persecution has always been a major issue in society. I think that it would strengthen your essay if you admitted that there are things Christians have done that were not right to do and then created rebuttals for these instances.

I also think that you need to include more data and research in this essay. Parts of it are well-written, but others are vague and less put-together.

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:23 am
Snoink wrote a review...

I was just thinking about this essay the other day, and now it is a featured work! Coincidence? I think not!

First, before I tackle the essay, here's some nit-picky points...

As far as gay marriage goes, an average of 60% of Catholics (a growing majority) actually completely supports gay marriage. Catholicism is one of the dominant Christian denominations.

This statement bugs me because this assumes that Catholicism is a democracy and that the majority of Catholics can actually change thing just because they believe a certain way.

That's not the way Catholicism works.

It doesn't matter what the majority of Catholics believe. There is a specific hierarchy and leaders (such as the Magisterium) who analyze scripture and lay down the authentic teaching of the Church. You may completely support same-sex marriage and be Catholic, but you're in schism with the Church and your beliefs are NOT Catholic.

I think weighted averages would be good here. Christian is definitely the major religion of the world right now...

(From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions_by_country)

So... because of this, it kind of makes sense that there are a lot of people being persecuted for their Christianity. There are a lot of Christians. But, out of a hundred people, are more Christians persecuted or are more atheists persecuted? Something to think about!

Also, thanks to ISIS, I think that percentage is pretty high this year. So, it might possibly be an outlier year? Something for you to check out!

Anyway! On the whole, this essay is pretty confusing. You want to show that Christians are accepting... but then you kind of go off on a tangent.

=> You talk about missionaries as upholding the ideals of Christian living... but then you focus on them helping people. Not accepting people. Okay? How is that supporting your thesis?

=> You talk about the not great Christian people, like the Westboro Baptist Church and how the Twitter feeds made it sound like Christians hated Robin Williams. But... you don't actually prove anything there? The idea is really disjointed.

=> You talk about abortion and same-sex marriage, but it seems like you're saying that there is no consensus and some people approve of abortion and/or same-sex marriage and some don't. But, unlike what you promised in the beginning (where you were actually going to incorporate bible quotes to prove your point!) you have an incredibly nebulous stance on it. So... how is that supposed to prove your thesis about how Christians are accepting? And then you go on and say that most Christians don't stone homosexuals and therefore... sin is okay and you can go to heaven even if you sin? That seems to be what you're saying? I am confused. Also, the person you are quoting is not talking about Christians stoning homosexuals. The person you are quoting is talking about Christians calling same-sex marriage a sin and blocking it. Which totally happens. And it's seen as an attack on homosexuals by homosexuals. Which is what this person is talking about. So... if you wanted to prove that Christians are accepting to this person, you have to show that the majority of Christians approve of same-sex marriage. Which I don't think you can do.

=> For your final point, instead of talking about the hypocrisy of Christians (which is definitely a big topic that deserves a keen look into) you talk about.... the hypocrisy of non-Christians? It's kind of like saying, "Oh, you think that WE'RE bad for doing such-and-such? Well, other people do such-and-such to us!" Ah, that age-old golden rule! "Do unto others as they do unto you." But... this doesn't actually prove your point either.

=> Then you undo your essay by making "acceptance" not a Christian value, but a value that all humans should have. Okay. So, basically those who aren't Christians might make the argument, "So, being Christian has no impact on acceptance because it's a human trait. But, Christianity often denies same-sex marriages and abortions. So, Christianity is definitely not accepting."

...yep.

So yeah. I am Catholic. It's cool. Christianity is awesome. But, this essay has so many logical errors to it that it really doesn't prove your point at all.

Remember! You must always prove your thesis! Always! Make sure each of your arguments supports your thesis. It's really really important to do that.

Also, remember! It sounds kind of like you're too upset with the essay to really look at it and deal with the points it raises objectively. Which means it's really not a good response. The other essay had its faults too -- I reviewed that essay as well. But, if this intends to be a response, you need to look at it fairly and address its points. Because it does bring up some valid points that need to be answered.

Hope that helps!

Gravity says...

My essay does support my thesis. You completely took statements from here and tore them apart, then twisted them to convey ideas that are COMPLETELY besides the point. So no. It didn't really help :/

Snoink says...

Gah, YWS ate my reply in which I gave a very detailed explanation that could possibly help you (since I obviously didn't help you with my review!) :( I think I was too long. Perhaps, if you want me to rewrite it, I will! But another day. It might help explain things?

Anyway, basically what I did was I tried to find the topic sentence in each of your claims in your persuasive argument and tried to see whether, if you took all the topic sentences together, your argument was still very strong (kind of like what this site does: http://valenciacollege.edu/wp/cssc/docu ... utline.pdf ). Because, honestly, you should be able to take the topic sentence of each of your claims and be able to make an argument about it.

In my original comment that got deleted (ack!) I took out what I thought were your topic sentences and commented on how they stood as an argument. Then I posted another possible outline to prove your thesis on how Christians were accepting. But... uh... after about five hours of writing, my analysis was deleted. >.> Sorry!

Anyway! Perhaps it's for the better that way, because this presents a cool writing/editing exercise for you! PLUS! You don't have to read my long blabbering! YAY! :D Find all your topic sentences in your essay! How strong were they? If you made a powerpoint presentation with only these bullet points, how strong would your presentation be? Would people be able to understand your argument if they only had these bullet points?

My concern with your essay is that the topic sentences (or rather, what I thought were the topic sentences) really don't support the thesis and thus the entire essay was disorganized. But, perhaps I am wrong about what are really the topic sentences?

If you want, you can post your topic sentences here and we can go through them. Because that totally sounds fun. Or... uh... at least it sounds more than cleaning poopy diapers, which is what I am currently procrastinating from.

Hope this helps more? Tell me if you want me to rewrite the longer thing.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 am
LittleWerewolfOven wrote a review...

HEY. I love this essay. You know my beliefs, and I just love how this was written because you were (for the most part) not biased. I see so many essays saying how their belief is the ONLY way. And that is just rude and disrespectful. So I feel you did a great job explaining that when it boils down to it, we are human. We all have opinions and we should accept each other. This is so fantastic, I want it to be published so the whole world can see it. I want to scream from the roof tops.
I love the points you made in it and the way you explained everything. It was awesome. The essay that you were writing the counter essay to was completely biased and the person writing seemed very angry. You kept it lighthearted and honest. Awesome job!

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm
CuriosityCat wrote a review...

I'm not even Christian, and yet the point you just made is so valid I can't NOT love it. :D You are a great writer. You were funny and serious at the same time, and you did a really good job on getting your message across.

BTW, Mega-Kudos for not turning this into another extremist wacko kill-the-unbeleivers essay. There are too many of those. And the whole "tolerating" thing... It's awesome. For once, I was not hurt by reading a religious debate essay. :D You made totally relevant points. Christianity, as well as the roots of most religions, is based on love, tolerance, and acceptance. Thanks for displaying that, too. It's great how kindly and honestly you wrote this.

I live in a place where if you mention "non-Christian" or "gay", people will run away from you and tell the cops. I appreciate knowing that there are nice Christians out there who actually are kind about things like this, and really stand for the real reason of their religion.

Anyway, it was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. So are you.
~Cat :)

P.S.: (Also, I totally love that Michael Jackson "Man In The Mirror" quote. <3 that song!)

Gravity says...

thank you so much. This means a lot :)

CuriosityCat says...

You're most welcome! :)

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:13 pm
Monsters wrote a review...

So sorry, but you should work on clarity. I know to you is it clear as a crystal but you need to make this clearer for everyone and start by taking out the disclaimers ect. that run straight into your paper.

Words are cheap, and they take up space. If you are trying to get your point across then you want to start with your point, that is that. Stop with the fluff because it bores people and likely they won't read the whole thing because you are wasting their time. Consider the ethical dilemma if this work gets published; you are wasting only about an hour of your time writing this but if 25,000 people read it you have wasted 25,000 X the time it takes to read say 15 minutes? That equates to more then a half a year wasted on something that if it were true, the reader would have walked away with this knowledge already. Cut it, cut everything that is not important to the message. Essentially start over.

Okay well, you have to look deeper into the statistics then that to proclaim that Christianity is the most 'publicly harassed' in the world. You would have to take these statistics and divide them by how many people their are in the religion and do the same for every single religion. Christianity is the majority group and trust me when I say this (because it is backed up by social science for many years) the subordinate groups always get the bad deal. To say that Judaism is being less harassed then Christianity after WW2 is rediculas. Muslims? They have it pretty bad too. To them these statistics are really good compared to the alternative. Think about what you're saying here because it makes you loose credibility.

I wrote this essay to show you that Christians are taught to be accepting people, whether they actually are or aren't is up to them.

Not exactly, social science has also examined the effects of the environment when it comes to these issues. Some people are taught how to be christian and racist ect. Just look at the KKK. You should say what you mean, this is mis-leading information.

I am an atheist and I like the premise but I have to admit this is written pretty badly. You should clean it up and revise if you want people to take it seriously.

Gravity says...

I appreciate the review but again, the KKK was an extremist group. You're totally write that I need to clean this up. What I meant by that quote was that the Bible teaches Christians to be accepting people so I'm sorry I didn't clarify that.

Also, Jews weren't the only group persecuted in WWII, they made up about 45% of the groups found in concentration camps. I'm talking about the current most persecuted religion in the world. And Christians aren't the majority now, actually. As stated, Christians make up about 1/3 of the world's population and Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Muslims do have it pretty bad, I'm not saying they don't. I'm just saying Christians shouldn't be discluded from the group of persecuted religions worldwide. Thanks once again for your review, it was very helpful :)

Monsters says...

Your welcome, to further clarify..

"Christians aren't the majority now, actually."

They are the majority when it comes to religious groups.

"Also, Jews weren't the only group persecuted in WWII, they made up about 45% of the groups found in concentration camps. "

With respect, that is kind of irrelevant to what I said.

"I'm just saying Christians shouldn't be discluded from the group of persecuted religions worldwide."

The problem is you did not say that, you made a point about how Christians are THE MOST discriminated group in the world and what fact did you use to prove it?

%u201Cpublicly harassed in 139 countries, making Christianity the religion most persecuted in the world%u201D

So you said because there is at-least one Christian being harassed in more countries than any other religion that Christianity is the more persecuted religion in the world? Take a second and think on how closed minded that really is. (These are the sort of things that will kill this essay.)

Have a good day, by the way I love your attitude toward life but I feel like it could be explained better.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:11 pm
DrFeelGood says...

I am kind of a confused person when it comes to religion. But I strongly believe that no religion preaches violence, discrimination or prejudice. Bhagvad Gita (A sacred book on Hinduism) is written like a fable. Instead of saying "God" many times they have used metaphors and symbolism to preach somethings.

Ultimately it depends on every individual. Personally I love reading religious books. They are full of optimism. I read my Bhagvaad Gita when I have time and I wont just stop on my religion, I will surely read Bible after I finish reading Bhagvad Gita!

It's sad that people write essays categorically bashing a certain religion. It makes no sense!

Monsters says...

Some religions preach violence and they openly admit it. In particular Muslims think that if someone steals their hands should be cut off. This is the religion and individual beliefs may differ but that fact is true.

DrFeelGood says...

I think you went a bit too far with that comment. I hope you are willing to read this long reply

To put it simply, no it does not. People are quick to use verses from the Koran to show that Islam is about violence, but it only seems like "violence" when it is taken out of context. People can say that the Bible promotes violence as well (if the verses are taken out of context). For instance, here are some choice passages from the Bible which when read in isolation makes the Bible appear to be a primer for evil:

1) In Samuel 15:2-3, the Lord orders Saul to kill all the Amalekite men, women and infants, 2) In Exodus 15:3, the Bible tells us the Lord is a man of war, 3) In Deuteronomy 13:6-16, the Lord instructs Israel to kill anyone who worships a different god or who worships the Lord differently, 4) In Mark 7:9, Jesus is critical of the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as prescribed by Old Testament law, 5) In Luke 19:22-27, Jesus orders killed anyone who refuses to be ruled by him.

Political and religious extremists have abused Islamic, Jewish, or Christian scriptures continuously throughout history. This would not happen if context was taken into consideration. Remember that the Bible and Koran came approximately 2000 and 1500 years ago, respectively.

It is also important to distinguish between Islam and Islamism. Islamism is "an ideology that demands man's complete adherence to the sacred law of Islam and rejects as much as possible outside influence, with some exceptions. It is imbued with a deep antagonism towards non-Muslims and has a particular hostility towards the West. It amounts to an effort to turn Islam, a religion and civilization, into an ideology." "Islamism" is not equivalent to "Islam."

Why do people think Islam revolves around violence? Because people commit the hasty generalization logical fallacy -- "what is true for a small sample must be true for the whole population."

So, a minority of Muslims that are anti-American radical fundamentalists that have misinterpreted the Qur'an and other religious teachings (and an even smaller portion have actually fought against the U.S. in one way or another) "must" represent the believers and followers of Islam as a whole. Therefore, it is a "dangerous" religion and "threat" to America, its populace, and democracy.

This, in addition to the terrorist activity, have falsely made people to believe that Islam is about violence. On the contrary, people who take the time to understand Islam will know that Islam revolves around peace. Their greeting, Asalamu alaykum, literally means: peace be upon you. The teaching of the Islamic Prophet, Mohammad (pbuh), can be read in the book called the Hadith. It is a sharp from what extremist Muslims do.

Muslims believe: the sin of killing one innocent person is equivalent to the sin of killing an entire. In this context, "innocent" is referring to anyone who hasn't caused you harm directly. (i.e. terrorists bombing WTC on 9/11 is a sin because they killed innocent people who had done no harm).

In conclusion, no religion promotes violence. People have to take the time to understand another persons religion before they jump to conclusions. Take context into consideration, don't let a minority group influence your perception of a group as a whole. The taliban and al qaeda don't represent Islam because they don't act in ways that Muslims should act in.

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 835AAK1W7q

I am a Hindu and I was of the same opinion that "Muslims promote violence" till I actually discovered ground reality! Hope you have nice day!

WindSailor says...

This is pathetic. You just copy and pasted something, and didn't even bother to read it obviously. the Lord instructs Israel to kill anyone who worships a different god or who worships the Lord differently," how is that not violent?

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:00 pm
Astronaut says...

I love this, and I'm an atheist. It makes me so sad to see other atheists bashing any religion, when someone's beliefs aren't a good thing or a bad thing. It's just who they are.

Cithara wrote a review...

Can I just say you literally made my day by writing this? You've covered everything, and I totally appreciate what you've said. It's true, we're called to love one another no matter the race or religion. It doesn't matter if you're Lutheran, Episcopalian, or Catholic. We're all called to know and love God and love one another. That's our purpose on Earth. Not to bash others or discriminate them. That's what so many people aren't realizing, and I'm glad you made this clear in your essay.
I liked how you added a little bit of humor to it as well. :P
Just thank you so much for writing this. It really is appreciated.
God bless,
~Thewriter13

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 am

Wow! Thank you for posting this! It is a very good summary of what we believe! (: You are a gifted writer! Keep up the good work! (:

thanks a lot! :)

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 am
ickeschr wrote a review...

Seeing as how I agree with mostly (if not everything) which was stated above, this is not really a review. I hate fighting in general, especially when it happens for no reason at all. When people are bashed for their beliefs, it hurts me especially. I say this for many reasons. One of which is that not all people are bad. Not all Muslims are bad, actually the majority are peaceful people, and I hate it when people talk about them and their beliefs like they are evil incarnate or something. Just like I hate when we Christians are bashed for what we believe in or don't believe in. I do not want to be hated or judged just because of what I believe, and if I don't judge people because of their beliefs, why should I be judged or hated? If the Church would wake up and realize that Jesus meant for us to LOVE EVERYBODY, and not judge everything and everybody, we would not be in such a mess. I am happy that you posted the above essay, to get our real beliefs out there. If we are rejected and torn down after this post is read, then so be it. "Trials and Tribulations." right?
As the Church, we should love everybody no matter what, because if we don't, what does that make Jesus' suffering look like? Does it not just trample over Him like the dust of the ground when we do not love as we are told?

Just some food for thought. Thanks again for posting the essay! and sorry for rambling...

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 am
SARAHJO wrote a review...

I'm not even going to bother with an introduction, so let's get right to it.

First, I want to applaud you for getting the message across in such a powerful, verbal way. You put up one heck of an argument (or opinion) that really states your beliefs in a completely unbiased way, which is hard to do considering that this is dealing with a very sensitive topic. I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible, because I don't want to bore you with every single thought I had going through my head while reading this. Let's just say it's probably one of the best essays I've read in a while, and if I were an English teacher, I'd be extremely impressed with your writing style and intricate expression.

As one who completely agrees with everything said in this work, I can't really review fairly while taking those who don't agree with it into consideration. But I can definitely tell you, you might just have changed a good deal of people's perspectives on how they view not only Christians, but every other religions as well. It's a heavy topic, that much is true, so to have your message portrayed in such an understanding way I'd say is fantastic. I love how you are addressing the other's concerns and feelings which is what a good debate speaker does.

(Btw, love the MJ reference at the end ;) ) A job amazingly done, my friend. You are a gifted writer. And you're right.

Acceptance is not a lie.

thanks! omg this means so much to me

SARAHJO says...

No problem. You're extremely talented! :)

wow. lol thank you again.

WindSailor says...

Good essay on what Christian belief is and what most Christians actually believe. Though, I am not sure how big of a response it is to it not being a lie, I do think you accurately portrayed Christianity and that was the point of the essay, so good job.

thanks!

Love says...

I don't care too much to was this, but gosh! Was it seriously inspired by the thing I posted? XD

Not a review, but two points worth mentioning :)

Anti Christians are not the only ones who start arguments. Both sides are guilty :P

"All Christians believe in God the Father, and they all believe that Jesus Christ died so they could go to Heaven."
- incorrect. Some Christians don't even believe in heaven. I was one example when I was religious, despite praying daily and talking to God and whatnot. And no, I was not a "not real christian" xP As you said, broad generalisations are not cool.

Love says...

Okay, I'm going to Like this because it's fairly well written an argued, but one extra thing! :P Christians being oppressed isnt the best of arguments, especially where the original author was from - a highly conservative and christian background. The fact that Christians are killed is hardly a good thing, but they _are_ the most numerous people of a single religion, skewing the statistics. This would only be a fair point if the percentage of Christians killed per capita would be greater than other people, which I doubt. Also, I've an uneasy suspicion of who is doing the killing, and if I'm right, atheists would be in a much biggest danger.

Anyway, yeah! :P

ongoeslife says...

That is the basic belief of Christianity. I really don't see how you could be a Christian and not believe that. Believing that is kinda what makes you a Christian. At least, in my view. *shrugs*

Love says...

I also believed in evolution. I never felt that believing in the ridiculous parts was mandatory :P

NewHope says...

Huh? You can%u2019t believe in Christianity and Evolution at the same time? Since when?

Corncob says...

This is like a debate but well written O_o Interesting

DrFeelGood says...

I was expecting a counter essay after reading the original one, and finally someone has posted it :)

So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl